• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ladies and Gents,

As I prepare my own bug out bag, I've added and dropped gear over time. Various blades and pry bars have taken up space in the bag but one item that never has is a tomahawk. The more I read, the more I see, the more I hear from people who should know what they're talking about, the more I suspect that perhaps a tomahawk should make it in to the bag. So, I've got a few questions that havn't been hashed over here before.

1) Are they really worth the hype as both a working tool and a usable weapon?

2) Kevp and Mercop have both recommended RMJ Tac, are there any others worth owning?

3) I can see that a replacable handle would be very valuable, what other features should I look for?

I guess question 1 is the biggie. I can see it's value to an infantryman. I can see it's value in a EOTWAWKI/ Mad Max scenario. In the "hurricane evacuation/ society has not completly collapsed and I'm not hunting dear with a spear" bag, is there a real use?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A decent Hawk, like any axe, is useful for a variety of things, including driving stakes, chopping wood, breaking glass, and keeping in your left hand as you're shooting your 1911 with the other.

I have a Cold Steel 'hawk, but it's the one with the hammer head on the back. I've cut down trees with it. Not bad, and under $50.

Jim

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I have an SOG one, it is very nice and I love it. One end of the head is a sherpened ax head and the other is a spike. THe only thing I didn't like was the diameter of the handle seemed a little small for my hand, but I corrected that with a couple wraps of duct tape.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Tomahawks are some of the most effective close quarters weapons.
    RMJ makes great hawks, battle proven but very pricey.
    American Tomahawk, Cold Steel, and SOG are some more affordable options.
    There's a lot more makers out there too and you can spend anywhere from $15 to $1,000 on a new tomahawk.
    Ebay always has a few different ones for sale.
    Here's a couple great pictures, the soldiers in the first photo appear have RMJ tomahawks and in the second photo they appear to have Vietnam-style American Tomahawks .
    For very hard use get one that's full tang like RMJ. I hear some of the 2-piece tomahawks tend to break during very heavy use like when breaking down doors or prying.

First photo- 1st-4th Marines, Fallujah 2005.
    Not sure about the second photo.

Attachments

• fallujah.jpg
      fallujah.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 688
    • tomahawkgroup.jpg
      tomahawkgroup.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 699

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I have a SOG tomahawk I love it gotten pretty good at throwing it too, you would be hard pressed to find a better weapon/tool than a good tomahawk

cut brush and fire wood
    edged self defense w/ better reach than most edged weapons not a sword plus can be thrown
    pry bar

it can just do so much

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    When I was a forester, I carried an Estwing Sportsman every day. Small, well balanced, cheap ($30), full tang and throws extremely well. We set up a target every day at lunch....

R385al4xVmXwirr2-4GXHxUdCaN2dLi3L8Lv3hfxJTkIdY1JARl_7sB7tvUpw5eAgyPiaQe-BBEEY3orqieMOcYpYeaecRmNVmM5XhAzyPu7mStHjHt5VG1xCZXpmmsfC2tHNu58Pt9wVgk96zfut6NaRRWGhjhbd941p-XU6z3nxjQ2_gb2n4TB

May 25, 2009
    First photo- 1st-4th Marines, Fallujah 2005.
    Not sure about the second photo.

Could be wrong, but the second photo appears to be Cold Steel Vietnam hawks
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS90VT

I don't like wooden handles on anything if I can avoid it. But Cold Steel makes an affordable product and I've never been let down. I own 5 or 6 of their knives, too.

I have one of these on the way, if it gets here and you haven't found a decent one I'll let you know if it's junk. But it comes with a sheath, which is nice, because many of the more affordable hawks don't usually include that.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS90PTH

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    WC that tomahawk looks sweet. I've got the SOG and it serves me well. It has a razor sharp blade that would probably take off a head or at least make it no longer servicable. With the spike end it can be thrown pretty easily with a little practice.
    Like NavyCRNA, I fellt he hendle is a bit on the small side. I fixed mine up with some Paracord coxcombing and it fits great. The braid on the coxcombing really helps to keep the grip oriented easily too.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/vtac.htm

This is in my opinion a nice looking Tomahawk. My question though is to wonder if something with a hammer head is more overall useful than a spike. I'm also not sure how the head is attached.

I'm not an expert just a collector but here's my 2 cents...To know if you need a spike or a hammer, you need to figure out if you want to be able to smash stuff or pierce holes in stuff. Either one would get the job done but I don't think the hammer is as effective as the spike in a combat situation. If the enemy has heavy clothing the spike would be more useful. On the other hand hammers would be better for use as a tool.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Could be wrong, but the second photo appears to be Cold Steel Vietnam hawks
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS90VT

There are several makers of the Vietnam style tomahawk. I don't think our troops would use the foreign-made Cold Steel ones. They actually have LaGana Tactical hawks made by American Tomahawk company since they have a contract with the government. I just found the picture on the American Tactical website and it says they are special forces soldiers.
    http://www.americantomahawk.com/

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Kevp and Mercop have both recommended RMJ Tac...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, THEY'RE $500! :shocked:

OK, I'm all for "you get what you pay for", but I find it hard to believe that someone can't make a good quality tomahawk for under $200. It has no moving parts, or needs to fold (lock up tightness isn't an issue like is a quality folder). Really, the quality of steel is everything- it dictates toughness and edge retention.

angler

Mar 30, 2010

That's really highway robbery, IMHO. Eastwing for me.......probably has better steel anyway. Plus its erg's are better with the curved handle.

Spike or hammer? If you are only using it for killin' then get the spike. If you want something that doubles as a tool, get the hammer.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One thing I'm seeing as a big difference is handle construction and how it attaches. The RMJ seems to be a much more solid design there than any of the others. While I agree that they're a lot of cash, this is an item going in to a bag for when things have gone badly already. My inclination is that this isn't an item to skimp on. I will be interested to hear how that Cold Steel looks when it comes in and has had some use.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

OK, I'm all for "you get what you pay for", but I find it hard to believe that someone can't make a good quality tomahawk for under $200. It has no moving parts, or needs to fold (lock up tightness isn't an issue like is a quality folder). Really, the quality of steel is everything- it dictates toughness and edge retention.

They are worth the money if you are in harms way. I'll post pics of mine tonight- it is one of the hand forged models. I did get it as a gift departing a unit. I gave one to my nephew when he deployed to Afghanistan. He said it was the best gift he has ever gotten.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Woodman's Pal is a handier alternative to a hawk. Good for clearing brush, trees and should be able to cut a man down if the need requires it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom