• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It is sad to hear the description of the show now.
    Back in 2009 when I first went, there was no room to walk!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Lou, when did Preston start doing his shows? I'm thinking 1996? Can you remember how busy the vendors were at every show? I can remember the Parkville show being so busy, you couldn't walk through the aisles. Now you have 12 ft wide aisles with less than a thousand folks through the door at Timonium. Who would have thunk it?

I can remember buying 6 Garands from Lou at a Timonium show and he barely had time to wait on me. Between Lou and North East Guns, I'd bet they sold 1000 firearms at every show. By 12 noon on Sunday, I can remember Lou's tables being empty other than a few C&R rifles and a handful of handguns.

Those were the days my friend...
    Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Were there any vendors selling AR15 parts: barrels, uppers, handguards, etc? I would like to get a few parts I need.

Jim Smith

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Legally, you can purchase any long gun from a neighboring state just like you were in your state of residence. Just so long as YOUR state does not find the gun illegal. So a MD resident can't go to VA and buy an AK47 rifle.

Minor point, as long as NEITHER state finds the firearm illegal.

So a DE resident cannot buy an AK47 in MD either.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Were there any vendors selling AR15 parts: barrels, uppers, handguards, etc? I would like to get a few parts I need.

Jim Smith

Yes , but looking at the prices I really did not see any deals as far as AR15 parts . I did get a deal on a box of 338 win mag for 25 bucks ! lol

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    At one time, Shurluk would come to every Timonium show and I would buy a tone of stuff from them, but those were the days when Dennis Todd would come into town and sell 6-10 class 3 weapons during every Timonium show.

Jim Smith

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lou, when did Preston start doing his shows? I'm thinking 1996? Can you remember how busy the vendors were at every show? I can remember the Parkville show being so busy, you couldn't walk through the aisles. Now you have 12 ft wide aisles with less than a thousand folks through the door at Timonium. Who would have thunk it?

I can remember buying 6 Garands from Lou at a Timonium show and he barely had time to wait on me. Between Lou and North East Guns, I'd bet they sold 1000 firearms at every show. By 12 noon on Sunday, I can remember Lou's tables being empty other than a few C&R rifles and a handful of handguns.

Those were the days my friend...
    Jim Smith

Preston started doing October Timonium shows about 1986 and the January Timonium show about 1990.

Your estimate of aggregate of guns sold by North East Guns and Shooters Discount at the Timonium shows is quite high, a closer estimate was more like 300 to 400 guns sold at a Timonium show between those two dealers and possibly up to 500 at a really busy Timonium show. But bear in mind, that was during the peak years of the mil surp days when one could buy a Mauser rifle starting as low as $69.95 and Chinese SKS's at $79.95 to 89.95 and Russian SKS's starting at $119.95.

Yes, I remember that too, and yes that's why it's sad :sad20:

This Saturday was pretty sad in regard to crowd not showing and sales volume out the bottom. A few of us dealers had a bit of an impromptu informal meeting yesterday shortly before show closing at my tables and it was stated by the owner of Continental that, "If Lou isn't selling guns, nobody is". The sales will return in time to the dealers that can endure the current slow times and somehow can restructure their business in some degree to enhance sales during the current slow times. I started to address this early last night and Shooters Discount will hopefully be making a slight turn in another direction in the not distant future.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Preston started doing October Timonium shows about 1986 and the January Timonium show about 1990. Your estimate of aggregate of guns sold by North East Guns and Shooters Discount at the Timonium shows is quite high, a closer estimate was more like 300 to 400 guns sold at a Timonium show between those two dealers and possibly up to 500 at a really busy Timonium show. But bear in mind, that was during the peak years of the mil surp days when one could buy a Mauser rifle starting as low as $69.95 and Chinese SKS's at $79.95 to 89.95 and Russian SKS's starting at $119.95. This Saturday was pretty sad in regard to crowd not showing and sales volume out the bottom. A few of us dealers had a bit of an impromptu informal meeting yesterday shortly before show closing at my tables and it was stated by the owner of Continental that, "If Lou isn't selling guns, nobody is". The sales will return in time to the dealers that can endure the current slow times and somehow can restructure their business in some degree to enhance sales during the current slow times. I started to address this early last night and Shooters Discount will hopefully be making a slight turn in another direction in the not distant future.

Ya gonna start carrying peewee shotguns and gear? :D

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    This Saturday was pretty sad in regard to crowd not showing and sales volume out the bottom. A few of us dealers had a bit of an impromptu informal meeting yesterday shortly before show closing at my tables and it was stated by the owner of Continental that, "If Lou isn't selling guns, nobody is". The sales will return in time to the dealers that can endure the current slow times and somehow can restructure their business in some degree to enhance sales during the current slow times. I started to address this early last night and Shooters Discount will hopefully be making a slight turn in another direction in the not distant future.

It will be interesting to see what you can do, short of selling jerky and dog treats.

I am probably part of the problem and not too much different than a lot of other folks. I have not and do not plan on getting an HOL. Last handgun I bought was from Lou 2 years ago.

The vendors have to realize they are also part of the problem....ammo prices at shows are ridiculous.

I for one will no longer pay 8 bucks to walk through a show like Timonium to look at seriously overpriced ammo...its far too easy now to hop on 95 and drive up to the new Cabelas....

Unless .md law changes I'm not sure sales will ever return to their hey days.

And finally the show promoters also need to realize the value of what they offer has greatly diminished...I might stop by and walk through for $4 not gonna do it for $8....

I don't envy you guys at all, tough to be a .md gun dealer these days. I didn't realize how hard it must be until this weekend. Was in a Walmart in Carlisle, PA Friday night...well stocked with ammo and even had a few AR's in the gun case ready for sale............

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm feeling better today, so I'm heading out in about an hour. I'll still have on my I WILL NOT COMPLY t-shirt if anyone want to look for me.

Jim Smith

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It will be interesting to see what you can do, short of selling jerky and dog treats.

I am probably part of the problem and not too much different than a lot of other folks. I have not and do not plan on getting an HOL. Last handgun I bought was from Lou 2 years ago.

The vendors have to realize they are also part of the problem....ammo prices at shows are ridiculous.

I for one will no longer pay 8 bucks to walk through a show like Timonium to look at seriously overpriced ammo...its far too easy now to hop on 95 and drive up to the new Cabelas....

And finally the show promoters also need to realize the value of what they offer has greatly diminished...I might stop by and walk through for $4 not gonna do it for $8....

I don't envy you guys at all, tough to be a .md gun dealer these days. I didn't realize how hard it must be until this weekend. Was in a Walmart in Carlisle, PA Friday night...well stocked with ammo and even had a few AR's in the gun case ready for sale............

Not to bust balls, but how much money are you wasting on gas and tolls round trip just to save a couple of dollars on ammunition at Cabelas'?

I was told the tolls are $18.00. And my truck would use $30.00 in gas up and back from Parkville.

Takes an awful lot of ammo to offset that cost.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Don't forget that it has been an absolutely gorgeous fall weekend.

I'd rather be outside plinking than inside.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Not to bust balls, but how much money are you wasting on gas and tolls round trip just to save a couple of dollars on ammunition at Cabelas'?

I was told the tolls are $18.00. And my truck would use $30.00 in gas up and back from Parkville.

Takes an awful lot of ammo to offset that cost.

Scenic route up route 1, no tolls, 62 miles from my house in Parkville and about $9 in gas for my Acadia...about the price of admission to the Timonium gun show and much more enjoyable way to spend some time with my son...

Only a $4 (unless you have EZ Pass) toll if you elect to use 95 on the way back...

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Found the deal of the show!

adec1a0290d251cac984c50825b0c1cb.jpg

Sent from my hut using carrier squirrels

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

x2

Living over on the shore, I have to travel some distance anyway to attend any DECENT show. If I'm gonna drive to Timonium, Frederick, Annapolis, Hoco or any other show in MD, might as well drive a bit more to PA, VA or DE and be able to buy what I want.

At shows, I'm mostly looking for mags, cheap ammo, powder/primers at decent prices, and whatever other odds and ends that I stumble onto. If I can't buy what i want in MD, or order and have it shipped to MD because of legality, but it's legal to buy and bring back from out of state, I'm going to the out of state shows. Simple.

Seems dealers go where there are more customers and customers go where there are more dealers.....with a greater selection of stuff they wanna buy. Sad really. We used to have a pretty good show here in Salisbury for years. Southeatern Guns and Knives, I believe. It got worse year-to-year before it finally died and it hasn't been here for well over 10 years. MD restrictions kill 'em.

And raping people with 10-15 cpr for 22 after they just paid $8-$10 to get in the door. Sorry, no thanks. I'll take Gettysburg and/or York.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Appalachian has a new show next weekend at Charles County Fairgrounds, they also continue to hold the Annapolis show and added the Kent Island show. Seems weird to add venues if sales suck. I am wondering if the PA shows are just siphoning off from the Timonium Shows, that coupled with lower sales due to last years Md. rush.
    I hope the Southern Md. show is a success, it will make up for losing Upper Marlboro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom