• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Don’t grovel.

He purposefully said absolutely nothing about having a pulse or being warmer than room temp.

You’re good man.
    Gives new meaning to "cracking open a cold one".

I do require a pulse but thr age limits DA imposes.....I just can't compare to that. Been with women 18 years older.than me. A couple of those rank in the "best of" list and I didn't even get thermal or NODs out of it. If I got a set of panos, they would.have ranked top.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Gives new meaning to "cracking open a cold one".

I do require a pulse but thr age limits DA imposes.....I just can't compare to that. Been with women 18 years older.than me. A couple of those rank in the "best of" list and I didn't even get thermal or NODs out of it. If I got a set of panos, they would.have ranked top.
    A pulse is definitely a requirement, but I'm not about getting freaky with a 60+ year old at my age.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A pulse is definitely a requirement, but I'm not about getting freaky with a 60+ year old at my age.
    Been into the mid fifties. No issues.

If there's a 60 year old that can do what a couple of them did, dbledoc better hurry back because someone's gonna need a hip replacement.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I admit, I'd do some sketchy stuff for thermal, full auto, and more suppressors. But that sugar mama has to be younger than me or no more than 5 years older than I am. I do have standards...
    Wanna touch my suppressed M11/9 with thermal?

I know women who are in their 70’s I’d bang. 60. Pshaw.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I've been saving up for low light capability since last August and made finally the leap. I bought an AGM "Rattler TS35 640" (640x512) thermal rifle scope and it arrived a week ago.

I got it through East Coast Thermal & Night Vision, located here in MD.
    https://eastcoastthermals.com/collections/frontpage/products/agm-rattler-ts35-640

I used their 'contact us' email link to ask a "quick question" and got a phone call from the owner, Brad. Brad spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me, answering ALL of my questions and went on to explain even more about device applications, abilities and limitations, giving me a very good education on the various devices.

East Coast was the same price as Amazon and several other vendors ($2,995 + tax & shipping). Being local and especially with the level of service they provided (Brad couldn't have been more helpful), I decided to buy through East Coast.

There was a two week delivery time both with East Coast, Amazon and several other vendors. A new version of the TS35 640, the "V2", recently became available and the price on the original model dropped from $4k to $3k, creating a rush and back-order situation. The V2 is about $500 more, and I was already stretching my highly refined ability to rationalize this purchase, so I stuck with the first version. Brad kept me posted through the delivery process with both calls and texts and I really could not have asked for better commo and CS.

I've used some high-end military issue night vision devices in the recent past and I almost bought regular night vision, but after watching hours and hours of device comparison and set up/zeroing videos (and about 20,000 coyotes and hogs whacked) and looking at different devices, I opted to start with thermal. This is my first experience with thermal devices and it is amazing. The resolution is very good, pretty much the same as the Rix Stride ST6 640x512 shown in the video above.

I did have a little difficulty picking out targets in bright sunshine, when everything surrounding the target (squirrel) was very warm, but early in the day and after dark, it is awesome. I am thinking about getting a 45 degree rail mount and putting an EOTech on the rifle too so I can still be effective on warm sunny days.

The menu is very easy to navigate and it provides quite a few setup options. It came with 5 choices of reticles, but when I installed the latest firmware update (very easy to do), it increased reticle choices to 10.

The only issue thus far is that I cannot get it to BlueTooth link over to my phone, but I suspect that's an operator error and I need to spend a little more time fooling with it before any whining takes place. The phone sees and "paired" with the device, but cannot 'connect' when I activate the app. I think I need to delete and reload the app, since I loaded and started the app before receiving the device, so it didn't start up the way it wanted to. On initial start-up, the app asked for SN info and has not asked again since trying to connect, so I think I must have skipped a critical step. If I cannot solve this on my own, I feel confident that the vendor will help me.

ETA: I used AGM's customer service email, described the problem and requested help at 4:14pm today. At 6:44pm, I received a reply with instructions that worked. I'm all connected and everything is now functional.

It does connect to my computer just fine and downloading images and videos from the device to my computer was easy. To take a still picture of what you see through the scope only requires one quick touch of a button, and video is almost as easy, only requiring holding the same button for 3 seconds to start recording.

It comes with a USB to USB-C cable to connect to either a computer or to a rechargeable battery pack, but I am concerned about bumping the connection in the field and damaging the device connector. I am going to order a magnetic 'quick disconnect' USB-C connector so I can run the device on the battery pack that I'll place in the stock pack on my rifle in place of the Twinkie. Should be a pretty smooth setup.

It also comes with a throw-lever mount and hardware in the package but not installed on the device. This is good, because as I use it as a hand-held monocular, the mount isn't in the way. It is supposed to return within about 1 moa of zero when removed and reinstalled, which is probably close enough for most applications.

I haven't decided exactly which rifle to mount it on. I've been using it as a monocular and it's very cool. I haven't been in a hurry to get it mounted because once I do that, it will sharply limit the places I can use it and what I can look at safely with it.
    You remind me of me. :-) They need to update their instructions for the bluetooth connectivity steps because I had the same problem. IMHO, this is the best value 640 thermal on the market right now and especially for under 200 yards around here. IIRC, there are at least 4 zeroing presets so you can mount it on 4 different toys and be good to go which should be more than sufficient for most of us. ;-)

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    3 yrs ago I bought an ATN Thor4 640 w/1x10. It was for my POF Revolution that I take to Florida every year for pig hunting. It served its purpose and was a fine setup. I finally stepped up and got a Pulsar Thermion XP50 as an Xmas gift to myself. The ATN doesn't even compare. It is a night/day difference. As with anything, you get what you pay for. If you can afford it, get a 640 thermal, it is worth the money. Also, when buying thermal, pay close attention to the size of the thermal sensor (usually 12 or 17 micron) and the NetD of the thermal sensor. NetD is measure in milli kelvin. The lower the NetD, the better the optic performs in bright sunlight and high humidity. YMMV.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wanna touch my suppressed M11/9 with thermal?

I know women who are in their 70’s I’d bang. 60. Pshaw.
    If you'd told me 40 years ago, I'd be having 'relations' with a 65 year old woman, I'da told you were nuts! :rolleyes:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It’s yet another affliction…said the fella bought a(nother) damned knife today.

I’m sure there’s a 12 step program for guns, knives, thermal, NV, etc

I ain’t going to meetings. I’ll tell you that for sure…
    Nope, no meetings nor programs lol I am with you on that!!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Yes, I think you're seeing the homogeneous temperature nature of suspended water. The fog/mist has it's own (lack of) heat signature you're unable to see beyond, sort of the same effect as glass, but with varying density/success.
    That’s what I was thinking, in smaller words of course lol

It’s much better tonight and it’s still about 70% humidity

I need much more time using it so I can figure out how to use all the settings

Now I want a 640 but I need to hold back for a bit lol

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You remind me of me. :-) They need to update their instructions for the bluetooth connectivity steps because I had the same problem. IMHO, this is the best value 640 thermal on the market right now and especially for under 200 yards around here. IIRC, there are at least 4 zeroing presets so you can mount it on 4 different toys and be good to go which should be more than sufficient for most of us. ;-)
    I think there were 5 possibilities. The last update I did gave me 10 reticle choices and I don't know enough about the operation yet to know if any additional zeros were provided.

Here are the connection instructions AGM emailed:

Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the connection problem:
    1. 1) Start by selecting "restore" from your scope's menu. During the restore process, your scope will initialize, shut down, and restart automatically.
    2. 2) Navigate to the "network" section in your scope's menu and select “hotspot.
    3. 3) Please confirm that you have the "AGM Connect" app installed on your mobile device. If not, you can download and install it from the appropriate app store.
    4. 4) Switch your mobile device into airplane mode.
    5. 5) Connect your phone to a Wi-Fi address that begins with "WLAN..." This should be the Wi-Fi hotspot generated by your monocular.
    6. 6) When prompted to enter a password, type in your scope's serial number. The serial number should consist of one or two capital letters followed by several digits. Ensure that there are no spaces.
    7. 7) Open the AGM Connect App on your mobile device and select the scope in your profile options.
    8. 8) Once the scope connects successfully, you can reselect your usual Wi-Fi network on your mobile device.
    Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with.

What I have come to understand is that the first connection is via WiFi with the scope being the hotspot. I *think* that after that, it uses Bluetooth. The phone 'sees' a Bluetooth connection for the scope in the Bluetooth menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom