• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There's your problem, you put more than 1 mag thru it and didn't toss it away (as was intended)... lol

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    It looks to have polygonal rifling. If it does have that, the rifling is still good and your ammo is suspect.
    I don't think so...they're just terrible pistols. Unless Federal, Blazer, Norma, Remington, and a few others are all bad (they aren't). They are cheaply made, cheaply rifled, and meant to not last long. $160 brand new....barrel cost $30. The new barrel coming...as you can see, mine is just plain worn out.
    s-l1600.png

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I don't think so...they're just terrible pistols. Unless Federal, Blazer, Norma, Remington, and a few others are all bad (they aren't). They are cheaply made, cheaply rifled, and meant to not last long. $160 brand new....barrel cost $30. The new barrel coming...as you can see, mine is just plain worn out.
    s-l1600.png
    Ffs....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    s-l1600.png
    I can't tell shit from that pic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ain't my pic, that was from the seller. I can tell you from looking at them in person that I do not think they are polygonal rifled, though. I CAN tell you that it tumbled with everything I threw at it.
    Can you try a different barrel, or in this case, would it be throwing good money after bad?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Then the Sicilian said, "Ha-ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is “Never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well known is this: “Never shoot a Jimenez pistol, even on paper, without eye protection!”"
    If there is something worse than a hi point, a Jimenez is it.

Now, I really don't have an opinion one way or another, but there is possibly something to the DOJ investigating them for willfully turning a blind eye to a lot of illegal gun sales. Or not. Sometimes companies really are just focused on making a cheap (and shitty) product for people who can't afford anything else.

That said, there are a lot of other similarly priced gun manufacturers who seem to be able to produce something with at least some vague quality (see Hi Point. They are bricks, but they are cheap bricks that seem to work fine).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Now, I really don't have an opinion one way or another, but there is possibly something to the DOJ investigating them for willfully turning a blind eye to a lot of illegal gun sales. Or not. Sometimes companies really are just focused on making a cheap (and shitty) product for people who can't afford anything else.

That said, there are a lot of other similarly priced gun manufacturers who seem to be able to produce something with at least some vague quality (see Hi Point. They are bricks, but they are cheap bricks that seem to work fine).
    Just don't cook the Hi-point.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Can you try a different barrel, or in this case, would it be throwing good money after bad?

The picture included IS the new barrel. The original barrel is the smooth one in the original post. This new one should be more than adequately rifled (for at least 200 rounds LOL). They are double-pinned and easy enough to replace...so the company way back to the original Jennings Nine of the late 80s (Bryco) must've known this is an issue.

See my "Ring Of Fire collection" post on here. I've a bunch of em! I do own a Hi Point now too...I was collecting the Ring Of Fire stuff almost exclusively, as Hi Points are still in production. Honestly, I've not had a problem with really any of these guns that I couldn't fix or make right...my Jimenez JA-22 and my Jennings J-22s are all good runners with Rem Golden Bullets, and accurate too.

Last edited:

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Well, the new barrel is installed. The old one got obliterated removing it...my brass punch gouged into the steel really bad...so it was beyond soft. Threw it into the recycle bin. New barrel has rifling....so we'll see how long this lasts. Tomorrow morning it's gonna see a minimum of 100 rounds. Compare this to the original post picture to see how drastically smooth the old one was.

355698741_1459648654805191_7426958533779999012_n.jpg

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I feel your pain. My wife brought a Jimanez 380 into the relationship from before we met. Bought it when she was 21 because “it was cheap and looked cool”. It’s a total POS. It’s the only gun that I keep with its own pistol lock inside my safe, as a way to remind myself never to even think about bringing it out. I refuse to sell it either because I’m convinced it’ll end up on a crime scene somehow.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Well, the new barrel is installed. The old one got obliterated removing it...my brass punch gouged into the steel really bad...so it was beyond soft. Threw it into the recycle bin. New barrel has rifling....so we'll see how long this lasts. Tomorrow morning it's gonna see a minimum of 100 rounds. Compare this to the original post picture to see how drastically smooth the old one was.

355698741_1459648654805191_7426958533779999012_n.jpg
    Stupid question, do they heat treat barrels? Or is this just made of super soft metal?

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Stupid question, do they heat treat barrels? Or is this just made of super soft metal?

The one in there when I got the gun NEW was so soft brass gouged it, and deep...so I hope this one does a little better. It was clearly not a heat treated barrel, as the copper FMJ bullets wore the rifling down almost smooth in less then 200 rounds.

I feel your pain. My wife brought a Jimanez 380 into the relationship from before we met. Bought it when she was 21 because “it was cheap and looked cool”. It’s a total POS. It’s the only gun that I keep with its own pistol lock inside my safe, as a way to remind myself never to even think about bringing it out. I refuse to sell it either because I’m convinced it’ll end up on a crime scene somehow.

I bought this as a total joke and curiosity. It's not a bad shooter, overall....it's just really poorly made haha!

Jul 1, 2012
    The one in there when I got the gun NEW was so soft brass gouged it, and deep...so I hope this one does a little better. It was clearly not a heat treated barrel, as the copper FMJ bullets wore the rifling down almost smooth in less then 200 rounds.

I bought this as a total joke and curiosity. It's not a bad shooter, overall....it's just really poorly made haha!
    LOL that's pretty impressively bad if a barrel is softer than a brass punch...

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    The worst gun that I have ever owned is a Davis over and under doubled barrel derringer. I don't know why I haven't tossed it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom