• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    read MSI recommendation.. wait till after the lift.

if they recieved it before the lift takes effect.. its considered as old law and more likely deny it.

Gansler's flying monkey already said as much.

Mr. Paulson declined to say whether the state will seek a second stay. He said officials will disregard the “good and substantial reason” clause only for applications received between the stay’s Aug. 7 lifting and whenever a potential second stay might go into effect.

Just wait until August 8th. Like me. :D

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Absent MD filing for and receiving a stay from CA4, MSP has said that they will deny applications without G&S until 12:01am August 8th. They will cash your check the day it is received and you will lose the money.

Edit: I was referring to applications received from yesterday until August 8.

That's not what the email said...

- MSP will accept non-G&S permit applications today. HOWEVER, if you apply in the next 13 days, you are taking some chance that you will lose your money if CA4 issues a stay. MSP is not going to hold or send back checks this time. That was a one-time deal. They are going to cash every single check the day it shows up. If you send a check today and CA4 issues a stay next week, your check is gone and your permit is denied. MSP/MSI advice is, "wait unless you don't mind losing the money."

jobow74

Mar 30, 2011
    Snow Hill

- MSP will accept non-G&S permit applications today. HOWEVER, if you apply in the next 13 days, you are taking some chance that you will lose your money if CA4 issues a stay. MSP is not going to hold or send back checks this time. That was a one-time deal. They are going to cash every single check the day it shows up. If you send a check today and CA4 issues a stay next week, your check is gone and your permit is denied. MSP/MSI advice is, "wait unless you don't mind losing the money."

That is exactly why I am waiting, don't count your chickens before they hatch, kind of thing

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

You are correct. I had a disconnect between my brain and my fingers.

If you apply between now and 12:01am on August 8th and CA4 issues a stay before the 8th, you will lose your money and your application will be denied.

If you apply now and there is no stay before the order lifting the temporary stay takes effect, your application will be processed without regard to G&S.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I think that MD has 10 days to request a stay, if they do not ask by the 2/3 of august we should be good to go. I am sure ESQ, will chime in if I am wrong.

NOBODY

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

You are correct. I had a disconnect between my brain and my fingers.

If you apply between now and 12:01am on August 8th and CA4 issues a stay before the 8th, you will lose your money and your application will be denied.

If you apply now and there is no stay before the order lifting the temporary stay takes effect, your application will be processed without regard to G&S.

Looks to me like you would be denied at any point from here out if there is a stay put in place again. They said it was a one time deal. if you apply on the 8th and a stay goes in on the 10th expect a denied also. Anything can happen while this is still in the courts.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I think that MD has 10 days to request a stay, if they do not ask by the 2/3 of august we should be good to go. I am sure ESQ, will chime in if I am wrong.

NOBODY

Actually, that is incorrect. MD can move for a stay pending appeal at any time. Now, as a matter of common sense, MD will move for a stay as soon as they can, and almost certainly during the 14 days if they are going to move for it at all. That is because it is hard to make a case in equity for irreparable injury (one of the 4 factors) if you sit on your rights.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Looks to me like you would be denied at any point from here out if there is a stay put in place again. They said it was a one time deal. if you apply on the 8th and a stay goes in on the 10th expect a denied also. Anything can happen while this is still in the courts.

If one submits now, without g&s...

On the chance they get denied I would think they could bring a claim against the state and recover at least attorney fees, if not recover for "irreparable damage"

Perhaps a class action?

Such a suit might have the added benefit of tying up Gansler's minions and distracting them from their goal of stealing our civil rights.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Did anyone else notice this quote in today's Sun? I am wondering if it is indicative of the change of sentiment in the state. Perhaps most are now on board - well, everyone except Little Doug Gansler and Marty.

"Overwhelmingly, the violence in Baltimore is associated with ... guns sold illegally on the streets" as part of the drug trade, said Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. "Our focus has been on illegal guns, people who don't have gun permits. ... That's what our war has been against."

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    I'm not sure if anyone commented yet, but I'm guessing this ruling will also affect our ability to get a Utah CCW. I believe Utah requires you to have a CCW from your home state if it's a shall issue state. Since Maryland is moving from might to shall issue, will people need their MD license before applying for the Utah one?

There seems to be a little confusion over this. It is my understanding (IANAL) that Utah requires you to have a home-state permit only if your home state recognizes your Utah permit. If MD decides to recognize the Utah permit, that will not invalidate your Utah permit if you received it before MD made that change; however, if MD begins to recognize the Utah permit before your pre-existing Utah permit expires, then you will have to get a MD permit before renewing your Utah permit. Utah issues to all fifty states. They do not exempt states for being shall-issue or may-issue; they simply require you get a home-state permit before getting a Utah permit IF your home state recognizes Utah.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    There seems to be a little confusion over this. It is my understanding (IANAL) that Utah requires you to have a home-state permit only if your home state recognizes your Utah permit. If MD decides to recognize the Utah permit, that will not invalidate your Utah permit if you received it before MD made that change; however, if MD begins to recognize the Utah permit before your pre-existing Utah permit expires, then you will have to get a MD permit before renewing your Utah permit. Utah issues to all fifty states. They do not exempt states for being shall-issue or may-issue; they simply require you get a home-state permit before getting a Utah permit IF your home state recognizes Utah.

All of these comments are kinda off topic. But this is correct.

Since MD does not recognize Utah's permit - you DO NOT need a MD license to get a Utah license, regardless of May or Shall issue. As with everyone else, IANAL, but I did just get my Utah permit, and heavily looked into this beforehand.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    In my non-expert opinion, NOT filing for a stay would be an interesting strategy, although it does make it harder to argue TEOTWAWKI later.

But if the stay is denied, it instantly tilts the presumption in our favor, and the the path gets even more narrow and steep for the defendants.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Assuming no last minute stay, this is the best birthday present I could have hoped to get for my 30th birthday (11th). Thanks to all who have worked so hard to get this through and hopefully 4c doesn't have a brain fart and extend the stay. :party29::party29::party29:

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Did anyone else notice this quote in today's Sun? I am wondering if it is indicative of the change of sentiment in the state. Perhaps most are now on board - well, everyone except Little Doug Gansler and Marty.

"Overwhelmingly, the violence in Baltimore is associated with ... guns sold illegally on the streets" as part of the drug trade, said Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. "Our focus has been on illegal guns, people who don't have gun permits. ... That's what our war has been against."

well said, spokesman!

All of these comments are kinda off topic. But this is correct.

Since MD does not recognize Utah's permit - you DO NOT need a MD license to get a Utah license, regardless of May or Shall issue. As with everyone else, IANAL, but I did just get my Utah permit, and heavily looked into this beforehand.

But you would not be able to renew utah if the FED passes a 50 state must recognize law. then you would have to get a maryland one. hey why not get arizona permit all you need is $40 finder printer and the basic NRA safety class cert. (they do have to mail you the app must if call them, they would be happy to sent you one) it's even good in las vagas

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom