• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    For a red dot with no magnification, sure. I'm talking about using magnified optics, though, and I didn't think it was possible to co-witness irons with magnification.

I think you are missing the point of BUIS.

To me they are a back up. I should not need them or be using them unless my battery has died on the AimPoint (not likely anytime soon) or the optic has been knocked off the gun or knocked out of zero.

With a magnified optic the battey is a non issue. Knocking it off the gun or knocking it out of zero is a posiblity though. First mount the optic low, on a flat top. The higher up it is the more it will get banged around. And you're holdovers will be insane at closer ranges.

As for knocking it off, don't skimp on rings. LaRue is the only option in my book. Don't buy a copy (ADM) go with a company that supports the military, the shooting community and will be there to stand behind the product. Adding the prices are almost the same and it's a no brainer.

I have Troy sights on my 16" gun with the 1-4 Accupoint, they are a lowers 1/3rd BUIS with the LaRue SPR mount. My 20" with the 4.5-14 MK IV has no BUIS, no point, it's a precision range gun. I do have BUIS on my red dot guns as well as my ACOG guns. Most likely a waste on the ACOG guns, but with the QD LaRue bases if the ACOG were to be damaged they could be quickly removed and I would be able to continue hunting zombies.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    I think you are missing the point of BUIS.

To me they are a back up. I should not need them or be using them unless my battery has died on the AimPoint (not likely anytime soon) or the optic has been knocked off the gun or knocked out of zero.

With a magnified optic the battey is a non issue. Knocking it off the gun or knocking it out of zero is a posiblity though. First mount the optic low, on a flat top. The higher up it is the more it will get banged around. And you're holdovers will be insane at closer ranges.

As for knocking it off, don't skimp on rings. LaRue is the only option in my book. Don't buy a copy (ADM) go with a company that supports the military, the shooting community and will be there to stand behind the product. Adding the prices are almost the same and it's a no brainer.

I have Troy sights on my 16" gun with the 1-4 Accupoint, they are a lowers 1/3rd BUIS with the LaRue SPR mount. My 20" with the 4.5-14 MK IV has no BUIS, no point, it's a precision range gun. I do have BUIS on my red dot guns as well as my ACOG guns. Most likely a waste on the ACOG guns, but with the QD LaRue bases if the ACOG were to be damaged they could be quickly removed and I would be able to continue hunting zombies.

QFT.

Couldn't have said it better.

SeamanFreeman

Jan 20, 2010
    Pasadena, MD
    CMMG AR15
    Glock 30SF

DSC01895.jpg

Last edited:
    Feb 11, 2010
    MD
    Ive shot 50 BMGs before, and its not that bad. More hype then anything. I have never shot this one. I just finished the build, and I no longer have a place to shoot it. So I just listed it for sale. Im ready to build something that can be shot around here.

wjt1169

OK...here ya go:

-Spike's Tactical lower.
    -AO Precision Upper.
    -6.8 spc II chamber, 1 in 10 twist, 16" mid-length gas system, stainless barrell from Balistic Advantage.
    -Daniel Defense Lite Rail 14.0
    -YHM 5C1 flash hider/comp.
    -Troy low profile gas block.
    -Magpul UBR stock, MOE grip, MBUS sights, and XTM rail covers.
    -BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 charging handle.
    -KNS anti-rotation pins.
    -Barrett 30 round magazine.

leftsights01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads