• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    My Rock River A2 W/Harris Bi-Pod and Weaver 4X30 Scope.
    005.jpg

011.jpg

It looks awesome. But it looks like you would be going for a solid neck weld instead of a cheek weld.:)

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    It looks awesome. But it looks like you would be going for a solid neck weld instead of a cheek weld.:)

I used the lowest rings I could find.
    With the 30mm objective I can just see through the iron sights without the objective bell getting in the way.
    From the rock solid cheek weld you can get on a standard A2 using the iron sights I have to raise up exactly 1" to see through the cross hairs :D
    I did it because I can dump the scope with one thumb screw in a couple seconds if the optics fail.
    Same with the Bi-pod.
    I also like being able to use both the optics and the iron sights with just a 1" movement of my head which you can't do with a flat top receiver.
    One rifle can't do everything well but I'm happy with this one.
    001.jpg

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Garand, I've been thinking about a setup similar to that. I'm a super noob to the AR platform. I want magnification with irons as a backup, and I believe that mounting an optic to the carry handle is the only way I can achieve this.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I used the lowest rings I could find.
    With the 30mm objective I can just see through the iron sights without the objective bell getting in the way.
    From the rock solid cheek weld you can get on a standard A2 using the iron sights I have to raise up exactly 1" to see through the cross hairs :D
    I did it because I can dump the scope with one thumb screw in a couple seconds if the optics fail.
    Same with the Bi-pod.
    I also like being able to use both the optics and the iron sights with just a 1" movement of my head which you can't do with a flat top receiver.
    One rifle can't do everything well but I'm happy with this one.

Not to mention it shoots dam good with that set up.:thumbsup:

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Garand, I've been thinking about a setup similar to that. I'm a super noob to the AR platform. I want magnification with irons as a backup, and I believe that mounting an optic to the carry handle is the only way I can achieve this.

If the carry handle is the non-removable type like on mine your options for mounting optics are limited.
    You can buy a new upper or go my route.
    Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it shoots and the first time I took it out Oldcarjunkie shredded a 2" orange sticker at 100 yds. :)
    Next time out I'm using a 1" orange sticker and see how many shots in five I can hit it with.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.

Well no not really. A flat top reciever gives you many more options in the way of sighting combinations. For example a red dot or Eo combo w/ FTS magnifier and flip-up or stand alone A-frame iron sight back ups. That kit gives you "all" the options in one set-up. If you have a carry handle A2 model your choices are vastly limited. I just swapped out the upper receiver to make my A2 an A4. Cost me $89.99 total to do and changed the weapons status in my collection from safequeen to rangemaster.

Mine went from this:
    BushmasterA2-1.jpg

To this:
    BushmasterA4-2.jpg

BushmasterA4-1.jpg

Now if you have a A2 carry handle and can't switch out receivers or just like the traditional look and feel of that model. Then Garands setup is optimal for sure. I think all styles of AR's have their place in the collection. My goto M4gery is set up with irons, a QD set of warne tactical rings and a RDS micro for short range shots.
    Delton2.jpg

DeltonwithRDS2.jpg

DeltonwithRDS.jpg

Now these are just my setups of course there are many, many more choices. Its almost infinite with the AR platform which is what attracts me to it i believe.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I don't have anything AR related yet, and would like to avoid the carry handle at pretty much any cost. It's asking a lot to get an "all in one" gun, but I'm sure as shit going to try. I'm thinking some type of quick detach optics with backup irons. Problem is, I'm going to have to mount my scope abnormally high to clear the front site. If Garand is only having to move an inch to shoot his, though, I'm sure I'llbe able to get something to work.

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    Now if you have a A2 carry handle and can't switch out receivers or just like the traditional look and feel of that model. Then Garands setup is optimal for sure. I think all styles of AR's have their place in the collection. My goto M4gery is set up with irons, a QD set of warne tactical rings and a RDS micro for short range shots.
    Delton2.jpg

Hi GUNRUNNER, how do you like that Magpul Angled Fore Grip? I was thinking about getting one, but can't make up my mind from online pictures if it makes sense or just looks cool. :cool: Also, what hand guard are you sporting if you don't mind me asking?

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Hi GUNRUNNER, how do you like that Magpul Angled Fore Grip? I was thinking about getting one, but can't make up my mind from online pictures if it makes sense or just looks cool. :cool: Also, what hand guard are you sporting if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, i love the AFG. It gives you a very natural point when driving the weapon. It doesn't just look cool, in fact i think it actually works better than it looks. The handguard is the Vltor weapons systems CASV-EL. Its a free float handguard with the ability to place rails anywhere you want to without the added bulk when you don't need it. http://vltor.com/casv.htm

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I don't have anything AR related yet, and would like to avoid the carry handle at pretty much any cost. It's asking a lot to get an "all in one" gun, but I'm sure as shit going to try. I'm thinking some type of quick detach optics with backup irons. Problem is, I'm going to have to mount my scope abnormally high to clear the front site. If Garand is only having to move an inch to shoot his, though, I'm sure I'llbe able to get something to work.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you have to mount it to completely clear the front sight. Anything above 1x magnification and the front sight will blur and disappear.

ETA: or you could get the kind that flip down?

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you have to mount it to completely clear the front sight. Anything above 1x magnification and the front sight will blur and disappear.

ETA: or you could get the kind that flip down?

I have a 2-7 power scope on my rifle mounted as close to my troy BUIS as possible. 2x and up the FSB disappears

-Z

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)

No, No, No...

You most certainly do -NOT- want to do this! Google "co-witness". You want to set up your rifle to either "absolute" co-witness, or "lower 1/3" co-witness. The front post is seen in the sight and aids in aiming.

T-1SightPicture.jpg

Absolute on the left, lower 1/3 on the right. If you use a flip up/down rear sight, it's completely removed from the picture and your red-dot sits on top of your front post like a lollipop. If you're using a powered scope, you may prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness and the front post pretty much disappears...

Jamie

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    No, No, No...

You most certainly do -NOT- want to do this! Google "co-witness". You want to set up your rifle to either "absolute" co-witness, or "lower 1/3" co-witness. The front post is seen in the sight and aids in aiming.

T-1SightPicture.jpg

Absolute on the left, lower 1/3 on the right. If you use a flip up/down rear sight, it's completely removed from the picture and your red-dot sits on top of your front post like a lollipop. If you're using a powered scope, you may prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness and the front post pretty much disappears...

Jamie

For a red dot with no magnification, sure. I'm talking about using magnified optics, though, and I didn't think it was possible to co-witness irons with magnification.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    For a red dot with no magnification, sure. I'm talking about using magnified optics, though, and I didn't think it was possible to co-witness irons with magnification.

Come see me before you start your project boondock. Ill point you to in the right direction. I have several AR's setup in various ways you can handle and decide.

My preferred "Do All" ar is VERY much like gunrunners, except mine use a 12.5" FF YHM rail, MBUS SIghts, and a 1-4X Scope. You can use it for a DMR if needed but suits your needs as a carbine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom