• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I hang my deer for a week if its cold enough. If not, I'll butcher, vacuum seal and freeze it.

When I'm ready to consume the venison, I will dry age it in the fridge for 3-5 days before cooking it. Excellent results.

I don't have any whacked deer pics. The attached you tube link if from a nice little buck rubbing on a sapling, 3' off the bicycle path. It was pretty cool to watch. My daughter and I counted 30 deer in a 2 mile walk! We can't hunt the park, why??

https://youtu.be/HPFJZ3DnOJQ

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Headed out today after work to a spot my buddy hunts. Its a 20 acre area in PG county. Had a doe and fawn come in early and then a buck stood on the outskirts from our blind...just a bit too far out. After around 45 minutes this doe came walking from behind our blind and around 10 yards to my right. Got a double lung shot. She took off and crashed maybe 30 yards from the blind. Productive little Friday afternoon I'd say!

Attachments

• IMAG3004_BURST002_COVER.jpg
      IMAG3004_BURST002_COVER.jpg
      116.8 KB · Views: 347

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I should have had a gimme last night...I had a group of deer come in and Ive been wanting to get some bucks and the last one coming in was a spike. So I drew and I hear a loud crack and see it flopping on the ground so I think man I got a good shot...then I see it take off running!!!!!:mad54: So I waited a few and didnt hear anything so I figured it crashed and died. NOPE...I tracked it for a while jumped it again and it took off into some deep brush in a full run. I think I hit the shoulder and it didnt penetrate. I went and checked my bow today and it was off about 4inches to the left:sad20:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Lets see, I bet you'll have a nice deer roast for Sunday dinner. Or maybe grill a few links of deer sausage, or a couple of deer burgers just before the game. Either way...

Congrats!

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    That's a pig of a doe! Freezer filler. Nice work.

I past on a smaller doe right at day break. I shot her broad side at 15 yards while I was walking out. She stood still while i took my backpack off and got my release out and knocked an arrow. Only thing I could think was that she didn't think I could see her?

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Nice doe Magnumst!

If anyone is in the Annapolis/Southern Anne Arundel Co area, I definitely recommend Back 40 Deer Precessing. Dropped my deer off at 830pm last night and it was ready for pick up at 1pm today. Great guys, clean facility and speedy service. Can't ask for more than that!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Well since our annual picture thread has turned into the annual deer aging thread, i guess i'll join in too

Here are a few bullet points on what i do

• Gut deer ASAP
    • Never drag deer through a creek or stream
    • Skin deer and quarter ASAP
    • Clean meat ASAP
    • Hang quarters for 1 week and then process into family size portions
    • If outside air temps are below 40 degrees the quarters hang in my garage on a homemade rack
    • If outside aire temps are above 40 degrees the quarters hang inside my garage refrigerator that has racks in it that hold meat hooks. The fridge door is opened at leAst once a day to allow fresh air in.

Ok can someone kill a deer and post a picture dammit!

But what if you have to drag it across Deer Creek? North Harford county guys here will get this one.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    But what if you have to drag it across Deer Creek? North Harford county guys here will get this one.

I drive the ATV across the creek, load up the deer and drive it back over to the other side of the creek ;)

Oh BTW, I'm hoping this is my year for a fox. I want one of those fox hats bad!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Nice doe Magnumst!

If anyone is in the Annapolis/Southern Anne Arundel Co area, I definitely recommend Back 40 Deer Precessing. Dropped my deer off at 830pm last night and it was ready for pick up at 1pm today. Great guys, clean facility and speedy service. Can't ask for more than that!

I have used them a couple times in the past since they are pretty much down the street from me compared to other butchers. My wife and kids liked their ground breakfast sausage that they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom