• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    You may want to look into an NRA Basic Shotgun class. You get both parts you mention above, & will leave knowing more about shotguns than most people.

Maybe check nrainstructors.com & kelkye.com to start.

Thanks for the advice, I will check them out. I've taken both the NRA Basic Handgun and Rifle classes and if the NRA Basic Shotgun course is as good, then I know I (and everyone else!) will be safe when I go to the range. I don't have any family members who shoot, so I've had no "elder brother/cousin/Dad/Uncle" to show me the ropes. The NRA classes have been my best buddies!

Cal68

carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Bumping this thread because I've had so much fun there over the past month! Now that most of my NFA bits are in hand, I've made several trips to the range and not only is it a great facility, but the RO's and staff have been very friendly, enthusiastic and welcoming when I've shot the class III stuff.

If any of you guys near Frederick haven't stopped in yet, you definitely should. It's worth the drive and your time. I haven't checked out Heritage, don't really have a need to, but it's great this area is providing options for shooters.

Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    I finally went there today for the first time. As others have stated. Very nice facility, friendly staff, and reasonable cost. I shot just over 100 rds. in my G17 and was entertained by the fellow shooting an M4 Carbine in full automatic just two lanes over. He left smiling very broadly.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Sweet! Just checking in to see if this place was still open. Will be back in FRNX for a night and thought I'd shoot some FA stuff! :party29:
    It's open & doing very well. In fact, although they've been open for a few months they had their grand opening today & this wknd.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Stopped by today for the first time. Walked in with the intention of checking the place out and killing a little time putting holes in some paper with a new rifle. Walked out with a membership card.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    My wife and I went there with our neighbors Tuesday. Top notch place. Memberships are kind of saucy unless you can get there alot. Hopefully, our neighbors will invite us to go more often.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My wife and I went there with our neighbors Tuesday. Top notch place. Memberships are kind of saucy unless you can get there alot. Hopefully, our neighbors will invite us to go more often.

Look into joing Catoctin Fish and Game in Myersville. Outdoors but its covered.

$200 first year and if you work 12 hours in the year, membership is $40/year.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    TMGN is very nice. Helpful staff. They swapped a rental gun when the first pick wasn't quite what my girl liked. NRA range no rentals, but the range in sq ft is more than twice the size with only three more lanes. That makes a huge difference in noise and concussion.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What are the distances for the ranges?

Rifle is 100 yards and pistol is 25 yards. Th range is small, 4 lanes for rifle and 2 I think for pistol. I rarely see other awhile shooting.

DA, it's a nice range. I've been there with ATTom, who's a member. There's a pic in this post to see a bit of the range ...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3801566&highlight=catoctin#post3801566

There are variable spots on the rifle side to put target holder legs (into PVC tubes in the ground) on the rifle side. 25, 50, and 100 yards if I remember correctly.

On the handgun side, one uses hanging targets starting relatively close (maybe 5 yards?) out to 25 yards.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Rifle is 100 yards and pistol is 25 yards. Th range is small, 4 lanes for rifle and 2 I think for pistol. I rarely see other awhile shooting.

DA, it's a nice range. I've been there with ATTom, who's a member. There's a pic in this post to see a bit of the range ...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3801566&highlight=catoctin#post3801566

There are variable spots on the rifle side to put target holder legs (into PVC tubes in the ground) on the rifle side. 25, 50, and 100 yards if I remember correctly.

On the handgun side, one uses hanging targets starting relatively close (maybe 5 yards?) out to 25 yards.
    Thanks for the info, I was pondering the Frederick IWLA, but was also thinking about a place with a range that is 200+ that won't be too much membership wise.

Need to discuss with my dad....

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks for the info, I was pondering the Frederick IWLA, but was also thinking about a place with a range that is 200+ that won't be too much membership wise.

Need to discuss with my dad....

I thought IWLA had a 200 yard range? Peacemaker has out to 300 but you can't shoot paper for groups, steel only. 340 defense will let you shoot out to 400 for groups on paper but it's expensive.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I thought IWLA had a 200 yard range? Peacemaker has out to 300 but you can't shoot paper for groups, steel only. 340 defense will let you shoot out to 400 for groups on paper but it's expensive.
    They are working on putting a 200 yard range, but it might be some time before it gets if the ground from what I have pieced together. The range longer than 100 yards is not a deal breaker, I just wanted to work on longer ranges without having to get raped on membership or range fees and travel time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom