• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I predict TMGN will open and have free punch and cookies and some here will complain that the punch is too warm and the cookies are stale.
    So many haters on A NEW INDOOR GUN RANGE OPENING IN MARYLAND. So it didn't go perfectly as planned and maybe they'll have a few hiccups when they open. That's just life. We should be celebrating with these people.

Right, this!!!!!

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I predict TMGN will open and have free punch and cookies and some here will complain that the punch is too warm and the cookies are stale.
    So many haters on A NEW INDOOR GUN RANGE OPENING IN MARYLAND. So it didn't go perfectly as planned and maybe they'll have a few hiccups when they open. That's just life. We should be celebrating with these people.

Nobody is a hater here i'm simply pointing out that they look to have overpromised and underdelivered a very expensive service. PLus they are weasling in their PR.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I passed on the membership thing when it was first offered. Looks like I was right to do so.

Why is everyone excited about this place. And willing to pony up that much cash to shoot there. Full Auto? I'll assume you have to rent their guns and buy their ammo, It's not very clear but the membership description seems to allude to that. I can see going there once in a while for a one time thrill but even with your own ammo in the burp gun the dimes will add up quick. From the pics it looks like sterile FBI type shootng lanes. phtt. :D

You know there are like 20 gun clubs in Frederick County that are mostly cheaper and have more variety of shooting options.

From their site:
    This is a one year membership for a single person (non transferable). The Membership will cover your range time cost for the entire year. This does not include ammunition or firearm rentals. You will have the option to purchase those separately though.

If you rent their guns you have to buy their ammo. Other then that, the same ammo restrictions that everybody else has.
    Honestly the biggest plus for me is going to be no restriction on number of seconds between shots.

Agree. Seems like all their problems stem from not having experience dealing with the county to open a business.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    People just want honesty especially when Joe Nobody can take 20 seconds and search the County's Department of License/Inspection's on permit progress. LOL

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Christ, some businesses are formed, built and acquired in the amount of time it takes TMGN to pave a freaking parking lot. Had they a) not pre-sold memberships as a capital formation strategy and b) not publicly established milestones that they were not certain they could meet, and finally, c) not posted videos, etc. absolving them of responsibility for the trajectory of their business - most here would not be complaining about them.

If they have a bad rep here and elsewhere in the community, it's because of their inexperience and the actions they chose to take. Hopefully the TMGN experience is "good enough" to overcome any negative bias.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

X2...well said.

I still find it hard to believe we'll have 3 indoor ranges in or near Frederick within a couple months, including Hendershots. This is something we should definitely be celebrating.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

Perhaps.

Expect a video blaming the Keebler Elves for making stale cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Perhaps.

Expect a video blaming the Keebler Elves for making stale cookies.

That made me LOL.

I didn't really read into the blame game thing but also I've got no connection to TMGN and nothing financially at risk. Frankly I liked these guys from the start because a few of them attended Liberty University and it just reminds me of a God and guns type of thing that is so near and dear to me. :)
    I hope it gets sorted out for them and I hope those who bought memberships feel better about the whole thing once they start shooting there.
    I still think its remarkable that we are getting two new ranges in Maryland.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    But there will be a delay and. ...

Quite possibly, but I'm hopeful. Slightly annoyed since their twitter post last night made it seem like today was the announcement.

There is a new update from heritage as well, visit the web site. The hourly fee is $25. Kinds makes TMGN look good.

Yea that or a similar number was put up or discussed pretty early on for them. I'll stick to Hap and (eventually) TMGN.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    TMGN & Heritage have two different business models & approaches. TMGN is subscription/membership based & most likely w/ an hourly rate for those without memberships. They will also have the ability to do repairs & other gunsmithing. They will have a trng staff which will most likely be teaching NRA courses. Heritage is focused on non-traditional markets, with shorter in-house developed curriculum, the cost of which will include time time, rental firearm, & ammo ($150 for a 2 hr course, & $195 for the HQL). Like TMGN, they will have firearms for sale & rent, but will not have a gunsmithing capability. Also, they will use an hourly based charging model. Both facilities apart to be very nice & very modern. The type & quality of the training & the personality of costumer-facing personnel will most likely be the true differentiators. They may each also attract such different audiences that there's little true competition between the two. I think that no matter what people think about one or the other of these businesses, there's absolutely no way these places are anything but good for the central Maryland firearms community.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    There is a new update from heritage as well, visit the web site. The hourly fee is $25. Kinds makes TMGN look good.

I talked with a guy at Heritage and he said, in so many words, that having a public shooting range is not their first interest. He said that there is a reason their name puts "Training" before "Shooting". That also explains not offering memberships. I have to wonder about that business model...I guess they can adapt if it doesn't fly on the basis of training as the main source of business.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I talked with a guy at Heritage and he said, in so many words, that having a public shooting range is not their first interest. He said that there is a reason their name puts "Training" before "Shooting". That also explains not offering memberships. I have to wonder about that business model...I guess they can adapt if it doesn't fly on the basis of training as the main source of business.

I can respect that they want to focus on training, but It is highly unlikely they will offer a class that can't be taken at a range that offers memberships or cheaper range time. Personally, any classes I take will be through either TMGN or Freestate.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

For what its worth, its a beautiful facility but I am not sure (again just an opinion) that Heritage was built by "gun people" but business people.

It would explain some of their rules (like no rifles, no memberships, etc).

Seems like some of their ideas dont make sense for the typical gun enthusiasts. I looked at some of their training stuff and at this point (I am assuming they will add on to it) it seems pretty thin. Clearly I have nothing to go by except from their site.

Either way I think both ranges will flourish and I believe each range will have its on "flavor" of crowd.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

So they just want gov't cheese; not the kind of folks I want to be giving my money to.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    For what its worth, its a beautiful facility but I am not sure (again just an opinion) that Heritage was built by "gun people" but business people.

It would explain some of their rules (like no rifles, no memberships, etc).

Seems like some of their ideas dont make sense for the typical gun enthusiasts. I looked at some of their training stuff and at this point (I am assuming they will add on to it) it seems pretty thin. Clearly I have nothing to go by except from their site.

Either way I think both ranges will flourish and I believe each range will have its on "flavor" of crowd.

So they just want gov't cheese; not the kind of folks I want to be giving my money to.

I believe that Heritage's initial push is to attract non-traditional customers. To do so, they need facilities that are clean, well-lit, and have non-threatedning, well-dressed instructors who aren't judgmental or condescending range-nazi's. I'm not saying TMGN or any other facilities or clubs in the area *are* like that, but we all know that type. Most of us are able to deal with that and move on, but there are a lot of people who are curious, or would like to become more familiar with firearms, but who are nervous, intimidated, etc, and for whom that sort of person would be poison.

Heritage has their market, and I think they're going about it the right way. I suspect they'll have to adapt and customize to a degree, but if they're looking at it from the business-person perspective, then they already know this is a possibility, and are likely planning on how to best measure and adapt to the market and demand - this also likely includes course offerings, tiered range time plans, equipment rental, maybe even eventually bringing in an indoor practical shooting league and matches, bullseye competitions, etc.

It will be interesting to watch how both of these "retail" level indoor ranges address the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom