• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Welp, with my 100 CCI Small Rifle primers, lb of w748, some #1309 Sierra's and a bunch of brass I'll be cranking my first few rounds out this weekend thanks to DA! Getting the hook set deep prior to me ordering my 550...

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Until I've got the workbench setup and storage I didn't want to get anything in bulk. Plus, this means I get to take another trip up to Cabela's in a few months. Girlfriend wanted to go back up there to do some Christmas shopping, so I can stock up on a few things while she's doing her thing and after that I'll be up in Missouri helping a friend out so I can check out Sierra's Factory... Let the downhill spiral get nuts.

How do you guys store powder and primers? The bench will be setup in an unfinished basement. With that comes moisture. Luckily I don't get enough moisture to need a sump pump ever, but at the same time it's an unfinished basement that is cool and like cool places with concrete, generally will be more moist. I just run a couple rechargeable desiccants in my safe, but they are bulky and would require a larger storage container to keep with the powders and primers.

Also, should I be concerned about setting up something to prevent ESD? Every handful of threads I read or articles randomly seem to insert the need to discharge yourself as well as any tools that will be working with primers.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Until I've got the workbench setup and storage I didn't want to get anything in bulk. Plus, this means I get to take another trip up to Cabela's in a few months. Girlfriend wanted to go back up there to do some Christmas shopping, so I can stock up on a few things while she's doing her thing and after that I'll be up in Missouri helping a friend out so I can check out Sierra's Factory... Let the downhill spiral get nuts.

How do you guys store powder and primers? The bench will be setup in an unfinished basement. With that comes moisture. Luckily I don't get enough moisture to need a sump pump ever, but at the same time it's an unfinished basement that is cool and like cool places with concrete, generally will be more moist. I just run a couple rechargeable desiccants in my safe, but they are bulky and would require a larger storage container to keep with the powders and primers.

Also, should I be concerned about setting up something to prevent ESD? Every handful of threads I read or articles randomly seem to insert the need to discharge yourself as well as any tools that will be working with primers.

As for powder and primer storage, you saw how mine are stored. I don't have moisture issues in my basement, because of the sump pump and also the amount of airflow in my basement. The canisters are already sealed when they are shipped, so sealed containers are a non issue. The primers are in cardboard sleeves, that wick away the moisture.

While I understand your concern about ESD, it is largely unfounded. If you wish to ground yourself, you can use an ESD bracelet attached to the press. Just remember that when you put your hand on the handle of the press, you are already grounding yourself to the press.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Figure it's time to update this. Might throw in a pic or two later this week when I'm not going to be at work late.

So, where do I stand on reloading? Rather then go through a diatribe of what's going on I'll keep it simple with organized lists:

Got:
    1 - Bench (skipping butcher top for the time being)
    2 - Dillon 550 (Waiting on delivery)
    3 - Dillon Quick Change Head in 223 (Waiting on delivery)
    4 - Dillon Strong Mount (Waiting on delivery)
    5 - Projectiles
    6 - Brass
    7 - Powder
    8 - Primers
    9 - Sierra Reloading Manual
    10 - Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler w/ Steel Media
    11 - Frankford Arsenal Kinetic Bullet Puller
    12 - Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer

Don't Got:
    1 - Powder Scale
    2 - Lyman Reloading Manual 50th Edition
    3 - Speer Reloading Manual
    4 - Hornady Reloading Manual
    5 - Calipers
    6 - Brass Trimmer
    7 - .223 Dies

I've got most of the essentials, but I'm budgeting it out since being out of town for a funeral and helping out family cost much more than I was expecting. Once I get the scale, calipers and dies I think I'll be good to go for .223 reloading for materials. The rest will just be based on as needed purchases to keep up with reloading (such as reloading manuals or parts to start reloading another caliber.)

Thanks to a few members on here I was able to pick up components for a great price and some rifle dies. If there is anything else you guys think I'll be needing to add to the list, please let me know.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Figure it's time to update this. Might throw in a pic or two later this week when I'm not going to be at work late.

So, where do I stand on reloading? Rather then go through a diatribe of what's going on I'll keep it simple with organized lists:

Got:
    5 - Projectiles
    6 - Brass
    7 - Powder
    8 - Primers

Don't Got:
    1 - Powder Scale
    5 - Calipers
    6 - Brass Trimmer
    7 - .223 Dies

I've got most of the essentials, but I'm budgeting it out since being out of town for a funeral and helping out family cost much more than I was expecting. Once I get the scale, calipers and dies I think I'll be good to go for .223 reloading for materials. The rest will just be based on as needed purchases to keep up with reloading (such as reloading manuals or parts to start reloading another caliber.)

Thanks to a few members on here I was able to pick up components for a great price and some rifle dies. If there is anything else you guys think I'll be needing to add to the list, please let me know.

A lot of the .223 cases you'll encounter will have been made to military specs, and will therefore have crimped primers. You'll need to remove that primer crimp prior to reloading. Either reaming or swaging will accomplish that task. Dillon makes a bench mounted tool called their Super Swage that'll make short work of primer pocket swaging. It'll handle small and large primer pockets both.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Got:
    5 - Projectiles
    6 - Brass
    7 - Powder
    8 - Primers

Don't Got:
    1 - Powder Scale
    5 - Calipers
    6 - Brass Trimmer
    7 - .223 Dies

I has buckets for you to store brass in and can get more if you need them. Let me know when you want them.

You'll also need a place to store your live ammo. You can use those caliber boxes that are 20-100 round, or you can keep it simple by using Ziplok bags in an ammo can. You'll find something that works best for you, but it is something to consider.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A lot of the .223 cases you'll encounter will have been made to military specs, and will therefore have crimped primers. You'll need to remove that primer crimp prior to reloading. Either reaming or swaging will accomplish that task. Dillon makes a bench mounted tool called their Super Swage that'll make short work of primer pocket swaging. It'll handle small and large primer pockets both.
    In the short term if he is just starting out, he can get the Lyman hand reamer for around 15 bucks. I doubt he will run into a lot of crimped brass in the beginning.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD

Yeah, I did notice that tool on the site. I'll keep it in mind when I decide to go the 300BLK route with 5.56 brass, but as of right now I don't really have much in terms of 5.56 brass. Like 5 pieces total? Maybe? I'm going to stick to the solution Daemon mentioned for now, mainly just to extra clean primer pockets.

I could have made this all easier for you. The easiest way to get into reloading is hang out with Hooligans.

Welp, where do I sign up?

Also, another question. I have not looked it up yet, but I picked up some older MidWay and unlabeled projectiles from a member here. Generally when it comes to 'smart' reloading you base the load off of the load data for the manufacturers load sheet. If I'm unable to find the load data from the manufacturer, is there a safe way to load up the projectile?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yeah, I did notice that tool on the site. I'll keep it in mind when I decide to go the 300BLK route with 5.56 brass, but as of right now I don't really have much in terms of 5.56 brass. Like 5 pieces total? Maybe? I'm going to stick to the solution Daemon mentioned for now, mainly just to extra clean primer pockets.

Welp, where do I sign up?

Also, another question. I have not looked it up yet, but I picked up some older MidWay and unlabeled projectiles from a member here. Generally when it comes to 'smart' reloading you base the load off of the load data for the manufacturers load sheet. If I'm unable to find the load data from the manufacturer, is there a safe way to load up the projectile?

You know where I am, you can use primer pocket reamer, whenever you need it.

EDIT:
    If you would rather pick one up on your own, Cabela's has them right now for 10 buck each. You may wish to get a small pocket (for 223/556) and a large pocket (for 308/762).
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._SEQ_549388080?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

/EDIT

Use the Hodgdon website and find the bullet weight. Once you do, trim 10% off of their max listed charge, to be on the safe side.

As things float through the ether towards me, do you want me to set aside some 223/556 brass for you, to help you get started a bit sooner? I am still trying to find some time to sit in the reloading room and separate the brass from the UL by headstamps/calibers.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    You know where I am, you can use primer pocket reamer, whenever you need it.

EDIT:
    If you would rather pick one up on your own, Cabela's has them right now for 10 buck each. You may wish to get a small pocket (for 223/556) and a large pocket (for 308/762).
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._SEQ_549388080?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

/EDIT

Use the Hodgdon website and find the bullet weight. Once you do, trim 10% off of their max listed charge, to be on the safe side.

As things float through the ether towards me, do you want me to set aside some 223/556 brass for you, to help you get started a bit sooner? I am still trying to find some time to sit in the reloading room and separate the brass from the UL by headstamps/calibers.

I'll pick one up. Easier to have one on hand then have to keep pinging you when I need it. As for the brass, sure. I have a handful now that I need to go through and sort (i.e. need to get come storage bins as I'm being OCD and sorting by manufacturer), but I guess more wouldn't hurt if you have any to spare.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'll pick one up. Easier to have one on hand then have to keep pinging you when I need it. As for the brass, sure. I have a handful now that I need to go through and sort (i.e. need to get come storage bins as I'm being OCD and sorting by manufacturer), but I guess more wouldn't hurt if you have any to spare.

As soon as I get some time I'll set aside some 223/556 brass for you. I'll even put it in a Ziplok bag with your name on it. :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In the short term if he is just starting out, he can get the Lyman hand reamer for around 15 bucks. I doubt he will run into a lot of crimped brass in the beginning.

I did thousands of rounds over several years with a Lyman hand reamer.

Just do a bunch every night in front of the TV.

But the Dillon Super Swage is MUCH nicer. :)

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Anyone running a Lee Reloading Stand or the Frankford Arsenal stand? With the small workbench that I've got, I don't want to hard mount a single stage and might be inheriting one that I could use for some case prep/single stage stuff to not over complicate my 550B. Just need to figure out a way to mount it. Plan on using the single stage originally to run through brass for my Glock's due to the whole unsupported chamber issue that was apparent, but I'm still unsure if this applies to Gen3's or was Gen1&2 only issues. Besides that then I can leave my 550b setup for the stuff I plan to reload most often and leave the single stage up for small batch/experimental loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom