• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Appreciate the honest take Major. The only thing that's got me looking at the Dillon market seriously is what they offer in their bundles, but more so the phenomenal customer support. Being able to have someone on the line and not be in a ticket queue when it comes to questions is a nice feature to factor into the price. I could really care less about the speed that a progressive gets me out of the box. I'd be going through stage by stage shell by shell anyways until I understand a process and then start to run it as a progressive. Again, probably not jumping on anything until early October so I'll have time to weigh my options and plenty more time to read.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Well, if you have the funds, I don't think you'll be disappointed in getting a Dillon. Top of the line presses for sure. Just remember there are a lot of other tools you'll want to acquire as well in addition to a press, so just keep that in mind as you start to budget stuff out (unless money is no object). Also, money saved = more reloading components to make ammo with ;)

Reading up is time very well spent. Better yet, that AND finding someone to show you their process and what things work for them. Even better, visit a couple of folks. You'll start to get a very good sense of what is a time saver vs. a convenience vs a waste (and it generally all depends on what your individual goals are...what's worth it to one guy isn't the same as another).

I'm happy to have you come over some time if you'd like, and I know others will / have offered too. I'm in Northern Baltimore County. I'm more a rifle reloader, and I tend more towards accuracy than volume.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    He didn't have to do much to sink the hook. I've been eyeing Dillon's for years. Just did a cost analysis of going with an RCBS Rockchucker kit, digital scale (not dispenser), digital calipers, and brass trimming tools vs. a Dillon 550B bundle and so far I'm coming out the same in price. I still think I should have a single stage or a turret in the mix, but it doesn't make much sense to skip out on the Dillon when it's priced similar with more features. I'm going to give it some time to sink in so I don't just jump on it as I'll be traveling a bunch next month. Gives me plenty of time to read.

Trust me when I say this. You don't need a single stage or turret press, if you have a Dillon 550. The 550 can be switched from progressive operation to single stage operation, just by pulling 3 pins.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I started with single stage RCBS 25 years ago, then recently updated it to progressive with used Piggy back. RCBS sent replacement parts for things that were worn out. Didn't even pay for the shipping... I was told its a lifetime warranty, and not based on my lifetime...

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    I'm going through my 'shopping list' of sorts and comparing some hardware. Just want to make sure this list seems complete to get rolling and anything on top is just icing:

Press
    Powder Thrower (stage or standalone)
    Scale
    Primer Tool (stage or hand tool)
    Primer Pocket Cleaner
    Case Trimmer
    Case Lube
    Deburring Tool
    Calipers
    Factory Manual for Projectile(s)
    Die Set (per caliber)
    Bullet Puller

If that's the basics then I think I've found the perfect combination as everything else is going to be nice to haves. I specifically did not include brass, primers, powder and projectiles in this list as those are what I consider the product not the tools for the job.

Reading about reloading is basically as bad as having free time and sitting on Youtube and getting lost in amazement. Research on kits have led to research on manuals, which led to research in projectiles, then research into casting, which led to research into optimizing cast bullets, which led to powdercoated cast projectiles (which I still don't understand), which led to projectile composite per application... etc etc. I can see why people lock themselves in a room and just reload...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Trust me when I say this. You don't need a single stage or turret press, if you have a Dillon 550. The 550 can be switched from progressive operation to single stage operation, just by pulling 3 pins.

This. I JUST started reloading with a Dillon 550. It seems daunting at first. I played with it as a single stage for a little while, just to familiarize myself with the operation. I was using it as a progressive in almost no time. I do not believe one needs to start with a single stage. It was pretty painless.
    I'm going through my 'shopping list' of sorts and comparing some hardware. Just want to make sure this list seems complete to get rolling and anything on top is just icing:

Press
    Powder Thrower (stage or standalone)
    Scale
    Primer Tool (stage or hand tool)
    Primer Pocket Cleaner
    Case Trimmer
    Case Lube
    Deburring Tool
    Calipers
    Factory Manual for Projectile(s)
    Die Set (per caliber)
    Bullet Puller

If that's the basics then I think I've found the perfect combination as everything else is going to be nice to haves. I specifically did not include brass, primers, powder and projectiles in this list as those are what I consider the product not the tools for the job.

Reading about reloading is basically as bad as having free time and sitting on Youtube and getting lost in amazement. Research on kits have led to research on manuals, which led to research in projectiles, then research into casting, which led to research into optimizing cast bullets, which led to powdercoated cast projectiles (which I still don't understand), which led to projectile composite per application... etc etc. I can see why people lock themselves in a room and just reload...

There are lots of little things you need. If you get a stainless media tumbler you will not need a primer pocket cleaner. You will want a power case prep center. You can do things by hand, but will get tired of that in no time.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    This. I JUST started reloading with a Dillon 550. It seems daunting at first. I played with it as a single stage for a little while, just to familiarize myself with the operation. I was using it as a progressive in almost no time. I do not believe one needs to start with a single stage. It was pretty painless.

Good to know. I think I'll be going with the Dillion first to get use to reloading factory spec stuff. I'll probably end up grabbing a single stage later on for some more custom stuff so I can leave the Dillon setup to run one caliber I reload the most. Plus I can get the quick change system and keep the more standard rounds dialed in and consistent.

Is there anything you didn't get with the Dillon that you ended up getting almost immediately after?

There are lots of little things you need. If you get a stainless media tumbler you will not need a primer pocket cleaner. You will want a power case prep center. You can do things by hand, but will get tired of that in no time.

I'm up in the air if I want to go with a mechanical media cleaner or ultrasonic. I'm thinking I might go ultrasonic at first to get the job done and then setup a mechanical tumbler later for polishing prior to pressing. Figure a liquid clean means all carbon and crap will end up going with the dirty fluids and not get caught up in the dry media that's going to get reused.

Being the owner of a single stage, upon retrospect I'd go with buy once cry once with a Dillon 550 or 650.

Glad to hear! This is becoming an easy choice :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm thinking I might go ultrasonic at first to get the job done and then setup a mechanical tumbler later for polishing prior to pressing. Figure a liquid clean means all carbon and crap will end up going with the dirty fluids and not get caught up in the dry media that's going to get reused. Glad to hear! This is becoming an easy choice :)
    The stainless steel media tumbler gets them spotless with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a sprinkle of Lemi-shine. Thumbler's Tumbler. The media is stainless steel and can be used ad infinitum. Even the primer pockets get clean. With a Dillon you can change the tool head with 2 pins and be loading another caliber in 5 minutes.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Want to throw out a big thanks to DA on giving me the in person rundown on reloading. He was able to answer a lot of on the fly questions with not only generic responses but also was able to apply analogies to them to get some points across. Going Dillon seems the way to go right now. I have a feeling another press will happen later for load development of some older rifles, but for now churning out some general pistol cartridges as well as some rifle will get me going. I have a feeling if I started with a standard single stage, the rabbit hole would have gotten deeper. Right now I just need to get use to reading Manufacturers load info and getting my lever throw routine in order once I get the press.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Want to throw out a big thanks to DA on giving me the in person rundown on reloading. He was able to answer a lot of on the fly questions with not only generic responses but also was able to apply analogies to them to get some points across. Going Dillon seems the way to go right now. I have a feeling another press will happen later for load development of some older rifles, but for now churning out some general pistol cartridges as well as some rifle will get me going. I have a feeling if I started with a standard single stage, the rabbit hole would have gotten deeper. Right now I just need to get use to reading Manufacturers load info and getting my lever throw routine in order once I get the press.

Anytime buddy, Whenever you are ready for a loading session on the 550 to get the reloading processes down and also make some of your own ammo, drop me a line. Whenever that may be, I'll have something for you to take home with you, that will help you along the way.

Remember hydrodynamics.

I'm sorry, but that is the only way I could think of on the spot to explain why the ballistic coefficient is higher for a BT, but the flat base has a lower ballistic coefficient. :lol2:

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Made sense, I was stuck in a coefficient of friction mindset while you were explaining it so I was jumbling a few things. I say you write a book or be on the tutorial DVD for Dillion :lol2:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Another plus for single stage is the strength and accuracy for resizing rifle brass because you can't beat the ram being directly below the cartridge. The Dillon looks to be one of the strongest progressives though because of the small turret diameter for less overhang to the ram. I tried resizing hard military M1 Garand brass on the Hornady and it couldn't bring it back down to SAAMI spec. The cases were generally between .020 and .040 longer after firing. The more I screwed the die in the more the turret flexed. I could actually see the tilt when measuring the brass, like one side was about .005 longer than the opposite side.

Is the 550B the one that you have to manually index the turret? Seems like that would get old really quick.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    For me I like the single stage mostly because I shoot like once a month or so. Usually I take three guns at 100 rounds total plus use a SKS or Mosin and have 1000's of commie bullets. So I spend about an hour a month pressing bullets. I purchase all of my shotgun ammo (0.20 cents a round) so no need to make the 12g shells.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can start either way. But, IMO, it is best to have both a single stage and progressive press on your bench.

Single stage is really nice for some operations. I use mine for working up loads, pulling bullets, loading precision rifle rounds (weighed charges with a Chargemaster). A single stage is not necessarily slow. I batch process. So I size say 200 cases. Then prime them. Then I sit at the press and charge a case, seat the bullet, Rinse and repeat. :)

For cleaning cases, I prefer a vibratory tumbler. It gets them clean enough. And it also can be used to tumble loaded rounds when loading cases that require lube on the progressive (.223 for example). Wet methods mean more time to deal with drying them. And while SS pins make them cases VERY clean, they may be too clean, as they remove the bit of carbon in the neck that acts as a lube for sizing and seating bullets.

I highly recommend either get a mechanical scale to start. If you do go electronic, get scale check weights to make sure you scale is accurate. I calibrate my Chargemaster every time, but then I load up the tray with as close to the charge weight as I can with the scale check weights to make sure it is accurate at the range I will be using.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Another plus for single stage is the strength and accuracy for resizing rifle brass because you can't beat the ram being directly below the cartridge. The Dillon looks to be one of the strongest progressives though because of the small turret diameter for less overhang to the ram. I tried resizing hard military M1 Garand brass on the Hornady and it couldn't bring it back down to SAAMI spec. The cases were generally between .020 and .040 longer after firing. The more I screwed the die in the more the turret flexed. I could actually see the tilt when measuring the brass, like one side was about .005 longer than the opposite side.

Is the 550B the one that you have to manually index the turret? Seems like that would get old really quick.
    It is manually indexing, yes. It actually doesn't get old. By the time it starts to cross your mind, you are already done.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    You can start either way. But, IMO, it is best to have both a single stage and progressive press on your bench.

Single stage is really nice for some operations. I use mine for working up loads, pulling bullets, loading precision rifle rounds (weighed charges with a Chargemaster). A single stage is not necessarily slow. I batch process. So I size say 200 cases. Then prime them. Then I sit at the press and charge a case, seat the bullet, Rinse and repeat. :)

For cleaning cases, I prefer a vibratory tumbler. It gets them clean enough. And it also can be used to tumble loaded rounds when loading cases that require lube on the progressive (.223 for example). Wet methods mean more time to deal with drying them. And while SS pins make them cases VERY clean, they may be too clean, as they remove the bit of carbon in the neck that acts as a lube for sizing and seating bullets.

I highly recommend either get a mechanical scale to start. If you do go electronic, get scale check weights to make sure you scale is accurate. I calibrate my Chargemaster every time, but then I load up the tray with as close to the charge weight as I can with the scale check weights to make sure it is accurate at the range I will be using.

I also rely on my single stage a lot and would feel lost without it. Someday soon I will be doing 6.5 Creedmoor for long range so there goes another use for it.

I clean my brass differently from what is suggested mainly to cut down on labor. I have processed about 6000 rifle and pistol cases so far (ready to load) and haven't had any problems. The first thing I do is deprime and resize. I keep my fingers covered with the wax style lube and give the cases a little spin while loading them into the press. If there is a speck of dirt or sand on the case it feels like a pea under the mattress and always sticks to my greasy fingers. Then I wet tumble which removes the lube and gets the primer pockets clean as well. I also lube all pistol cases the same way with my fingers, partly for the cleaning effect, and there is a marked difference in how nicely they slide through the sizing die.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom