• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Even though I don't currently have any plans to build an AR, I would be interested in getting one or two of these.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    I heard something in the news about this. It came across as something that you use once and then discard...$85 + labor to put it together for one shot...is it worth it? :shrug:

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I heard something in the news about this. It came across as something that you use once and then discard...$85 + labor to put it together for one shot...is it worth it? :shrug:

They were probably referring to the entirely 3D printable gun that was just recently designed. I heard about that on the news too. This is something different.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    They were probably referring to the entirely 3D printable gun that was just recently designed. I heard about that on the news too. This is something different.
    OP stated that this is not guaranteed after a single use so it may not be that different.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    OP stated that this is not guaranteed after a single use so it may not be that different.

He was referring to the jig that is used to help you finish the poly lower, not the lower itself. The lower seems like it will be of good quality. We will see when they are actually produced.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    i read through this thread and don't get it. seams the only advantage is plastic is a little easier to cut away than aluminum. for the same reason, it is not as strong. what is the upside here? why wouldn't you just get a forged 80% lower for about the same price?
    Unlike an aluminum receiver you don't have to treat the machined surfaces, or the whole thing if it is not already anodized, to prevent oxidation. Type II anodize is cheap if you are doing a batch of parts but for one it is relatively expensive. I assume that hard coat is even more expensive as the process takes longer and has tighter controls.

I'd be interested in at least one.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    He was referring to the jig that is used to help you finish the poly lower, not the lower itself. The lower seems like it will be of good quality. We will see when they are actually produced.

My mistake. If it can accommodate something bigger than a .22 or .223 for thousands of rounds, I might be interested.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    We will need a thorough review. A milling machine would eat through this in a second. Using anti rotational pins could be of benefit. The biggest issue is the strength of the buffer tube thread/attachment area to the lower. This is the most stressed part of the lower. This was demonstrated when the 3d printed lower failed and stress analysis was done. They were using an AR57 upper and it failed after few rounds in the buffer tube/lower junction area.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    We will need a thorough review. A milling machine would eat through this in a second. Using anti rotational pins could be of benefit. The biggest issue is the strength of the buffer tube thread/attachment area to the lower. This is the most stressed part of the lower. This was demonstrated when the 3d printed lower failed and stress analysis was done. They were using an AR57 upper and it failed after few rounds in the buffer tube/lower junction area.

Which is why they came up with another 3-D printed lower where they reinforced the crap out of the buffer tube area. This one has that feature too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom