• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • polymer80

Polymer80 Co-Founder
    May 29, 2013
    Polymer80 Owner Message

Greetings Maryland Shooters!

My name is Loran and I and co-owner/founder of Polymer80 and the designer of the lower everyone is talking about here. I have read through the entire thread and want to first say thanks for all of the great compliments and even criticisms and suggestions here! all of it is great!

If I may I wanted to personally address some of the questions I saw going through the thread:

Metal vs. "Plastic": This is always the challenge for us when showing this to many shooters, first, we are using a polymer that IS tested and and is VERY VERY tough. I cannot reveal exactly what that material is (secret sauce), but I can say, before we even ship these, after the molds are completed and have generated a batch a full battery of final tests will be run and recorded for all to see. Just because its easier to drill out does not automatically mean that it is weaker. You will see when we film our testing how much BETTER polymers can be than metal. Another benefit is how much lighter the polymer80 will be compared to metal lowers, and we will not have long term shortages due to slow production required for metal lowers as well. This is why FN has made the SCAR from Polymer and why Ruger has stopped making 10/22's out of metal and converted the entire line to polymer, its simply better. ( you just have to do it right).

Calibers:
    The Polymer80 will be able to take what ever you throw at it. I intend to build a .50 BMG single shot out one of mine, our design is the only one I know of built from the ground up specifically to be made of polymer. On our prototypes, which are made of really crappy 3d printed plastic, the "problem areas" that we have reinforced are RIDICULOUSLY tough. I am probably going to throw a video together showing this but we are just 3 short weeks away form production, so we'll see.

Manufacturing-
    To be clear... these ARE NOT 3d printed lowers. These are injection molded using nothing but the highest quality, strong and industry proven polymer. Our molds are designed with the longevity and resilience of the product in mind.

Jig-
    The jig is one time use for several reasons:
    We offer a lifetime warranty even after you finish it, but ONLY of you have used a BRAND NEW jig and bits (included with the jig) to complete it.

The jig itself is "sacrificial" meaning that you will actually be drilling through the jig itself as you drill down, keeping the bit from "walking" and ensuring a perfectly straight hole. You will be destroying the jigs further usefulness as you complete the project.

With each jig you get new bits, so each and every time you have pristine, sharp tools and perfect jig. When our lowers are seen out at the range, we want them looking good inside and out! And we want you hto have the best possible product at the end.

I hope I have addressed most if not all of the concerns on this thread. If I have missed anything or you have any questions at all, I would be more than happy to address them. Thanks to all of you for supporting and trusting us early on. We plan on being around a very long time and we will have LOTS more stuff in the near future.

Thanks!
    -Loran Kelley

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am double-plus interested in these as a late summer project, especially if we can get a run with the MDS logo engraved on them.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    Since you are on here, will you be able to keep up with demand? My 80% supplier wasn't able to and is probably 9 months to a year behind since they took so many back orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom