Swapping out my eotech 553, suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Yep the reflex sights. They arent acog money. Only thing is i havent seen one in person either. Id go with the 4.5moa dot too. The cheaper ones were the small ones.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The SRS I checked out was nice, guess I didn't notice the weight so much as it was mounted on a DD MK18. Any experience with the other Trijicon Reflex sights? The RX01/06/30/34?

The RX sights are an old design. The biggest drawbacks are they can wash out easily in bright light and are heavily tinted. The rear body can obstruct lower field of view. No batteries is nice. I think the best of the bunch is the RX34A-51.

Be careful about Meprolight reflex sights. They are not serviced in the U.S. and Meprolight (per company policy) will not replace the tritium when it eventually dims. They will tell you to buy a new sight.

A better option can be the non-adjustable RMR LED, except that it's tiny, with a tiny field of view. This can be somewhat compensated for by mounting it far forward. It weighs virtually nothing, and not much more with the basic Trijicon thumb screw mount. It is very rugged. Note that the non-adjustable RMR LED has clear glass. The adjustable version has an annoying blue tint. Changing the battery is a royal PITA that requires separating the sight from its mount, which typically loses zero.

Don't get me wrong about my earlier post regarding the SRS. It's very nice, with a bright, crisp dot, very clear glass, and a huge field of view through a short tube. Weight is only one consideration that may or may not matter for a given application. Of all the Trijicon reflex sights, the SRS is easily my favorite, by a wide margin.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Sent eotech cs a message. I want to know more details about that optic and whats going on with it. No brief explanation, i want to know more in depth. I dont think thats asking for much

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have both an RX06-24 on my SGL21, and an RMR on the PS90 (both use the 12.9 moa Triangle reticule). And they are really nice sights. As Boom Boom stated, the RX06 is an older design. But despite this I would not dismiss them. They are both very compact and easy to use, and while I like my EoTech's reticule and large FOV; the fact that the Trijicon doesn't need a battery gives it a big advantage IMO. I have noticed the washout when looking from a very dark room to a very bright background. But it is rather situation, and not a deal breaker (again, IMO). I'd love to get an SRS, but not at $800. I handled one at 2A, and was impressed with its light weight. If they come down to $600ish, I'll bite.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I sent the message to eotech last night. Here is the response i had in my inbox early this morning. Very quick to get back to me.

Hello John,
    When the nitrogen escapes the optic it is replaced by air, the air
    which contains moisture affects the coating on the internal optical part
    causing it to alter and go dim. As stated earlier, most likely our
    tech did not properly seal it and although out of warranty we are
    standing behind our work.

Sincerely,
    Mike Kroll
    Customer Service Manager L-3 EOTech

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Cool, nice to see the stand behind the product even out of warranty. After looking I think I may get a FDE EOTech EXPS3-0 for my 6920. I have a vortex VMX3 to use with it for now as well.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The vortex is a great piece. I had one before. People really seem to like the exps series.

Its cool they are fixing it, even if its out of warrenty. However, why would such a great product not have a lifetime warrenty? The vortex strikefire has a lifetime warrenty. I mean look at it this way. I had a strikefire, gave it to my gf, then sold it to a buddy. In the 2 years its been around, it had 1 issue. Fixed, and good to go. The year and a half ive had the eotech, 2 issues. Fixed but they keep mentioning its out of warrenty. See what in saying?

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    The vortex is a great piece. I had one before. People really seem to like the exps series.

Its cool they are fixing it, even if its out of warrenty. However, why would such a great product not have a lifetime warrenty? The vortex strikefire has a lifetime warrenty. I mean look at it this way. I had a strikefire, gave it to my gf, then sold it to a buddy. In the 2 years its been around, it had 1 issue. Fixed, and good to go. The year and a half ive had the eotech, 2 issues. Fixed but they keep mentioning its out of warrenty. See what in saying?

Yeah seems strange they keep mentioning that yet still fix it. Only issue I had with Vortex was the adjustment screw on the Magnifier twist to side mount got stripped and I couldn't easily adjust that. No questions asked they shipped me a new mount and an prepaid envelope to send the other one back. Pretty cool considering it's not even their mount, it's made by American Defense Manufacturing and they toss the Vortex name on it.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah seems strange they keep mentioning that yet still fix it. Only issue I had with Vortex was the adjustment screw on the Magnifier twist to side mount got stripped and I couldn't easily adjust that. No questions asked they shipped me a new mount and an prepaid envelope to send the other one back. Pretty cool considering it's not even their mount, it's made by American Defense Manufacturing and they toss the Vortex name on it.

Vortex is great. I barely got finished saying my flip caps were a problem then all of a sudden, bam at my door.

For a 600+ product, i expect a company to beat the warrenty and quality of a 150 dollar product.

Im not going to bad mouth eotech, im just bitter bc it had issues.

jkim56

Jul 20, 2011
    woodbine, MD
    I myself thought about getting an aimpoint pro but ended up settling on a burris tac30 which offers an illuminated 1-4x. the 1x doesn't seem to be a true 1x but its close enough and the 4x should help you out when shooting out to further ranges. I've also heard good things about the burris MTAC, which I think is an upgraded version of the tac30.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Glad they took care of you. I see a posts from other customers who they take care of. As it should be.

I have 2 EXPS-3.0 and love them.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Got it back today. Looks great, they sent it with a fresh instruction manual. I can walk outside on the bright day and on level 16 its visable enough to look at the sky and not wash out.

I still dont think i want it anymore. Its up for sale/trade. Id be interested in any trijicon sights, aimpoint compm4 series, may consider a t1 micro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom