Swapping out my eotech 553, suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I suggest carefully looking in person at/through the Eotech XPS2, EXPS2, Trijicon TA11, and Aimpoint T-1 before you decide. One downside you'll notice right away if you get the T-1 is the smaller tube that is much less forgiving about poor cheek weld. The small tube is one reason why I "upgraded" to an XPS2-0. No way will I go back. My next sight will be another XPS2-0. Third one will probably be an ACOG.

Also make sure before you buy a T-1 that you don't see the red dot as a smeared comma. It's very common with the smaller tube. If you wear eyeglasses (I do) or contacts or have astigmatism (I don't), you'll probably see what I mean. If the problem affects you (like me), you'll seriously regret not having the Eotech.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The ACOGs do not have unlimited eye relief like EOTechs and Aimpoints do if that is of concern to you. Though the 3x TA11 (2.4) and TA33 (1.9) ACOGs have better eye relief than the 4x TA31 (1.5) do. I have a TA33R-11 in a LT 105 Mount. I don't have any issues with the eye relief, I like the optic a lot.

Don't sweat eye relief on the TA11. Trijicon's spec and real life are radically different in my experience. For the TA11, usable eye relief is at least 12".

Eotech is 1 moa but i dont mind 2. Id really like to see one in person. Itd be nice to compare directly to the eotech. See if the pros amd cons make it worth the switch.

Eotech advertises the dot as 1 MOA. In reality, it's smaller than that. A 2 MOA Aimpoint dot looks large by comparison if you have both sights side by side and focus on a target.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    15wlc03.jpg

nqpk54.jpg

2iqbvyf.jpg

10r30ib.jpg

33yqnpj.jpg

29cq49i.jpg

10zn4eq.jpg

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I suggest carefully looking in person at/through the Eotech XPS2, EXPS2, Trijicon TA11, and Aimpoint T-1 before you decide. One downside you'll notice right away if you get the T-1 is the smaller tube that is much less forgiving about poor cheek weld. The small tube is one reason why I "upgraded" to an XPS2-0. No way will I go back. My next sight will be another XPS2-0. Third one will probably be an ACOG.

Also make sure before you buy a T-1 that you don't see the red dot as a smeared comma. It's very common with the smaller tube. If you wear eyeglasses (I do) or contacts or have astigmatism (I don't), you'll probably see what I mean. If the problem affects you (like me), you'll seriously regret not having the Eotech.

I do have astigmatism in my left eye. Its not bad, still got 20/20 but I do understand what you mean. Wouldnt I see this comma with my PRO?

I didnt think of the smaller tube being less forgiving. Thats one thing I love about the Eotech, the PRO is nice in that aspect as well.

The only thing is the Eotech just doesnt seem as bright to me as the aimpoint. Maybe thats because the aimpoints in a tube. I did have to send it back to Eotech when I first got it. I couldnt see the reticle at all outside. They fixed it and sent it back and its been great. However cleaning the rifles and looking through them today, the eotech just doesnt seem as bright as the aimpoint. I can still see the reticle in daylight so I doubt theres anything wrong with it. I swapped a different set of batteries in it, not brand new but still good. Didnt notice a different. Its not flashing so the batteries arent low. I did try a set of almost dead batteries and it will flash when its low on power. I think Im just used to shooting with my aimpoint so much.

Don't sweat eye relief on the TA11. Trijicon's spec and real life are radically different in my experience. For the TA11, usable eye relief is at least 12".

Eotech advertises the dot as 1 MOA. In reality, it's smaller than that. A 2 MOA Aimpoint dot looks large by comparison if you have both sights side by side and focus on a target.

Comparing the 2moa pro to the 553, I can see a difference. The biggest difference I have seen with my optics is the change i made from 4moa aimpoint to 2moa. At 200 yards I can see the target now.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010

Yeah my TA33 is fine for me.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I do have astigmatism in my left eye. Its not bad, still got 20/20 but I do understand what you mean. Wouldnt I see this comma with my PRO?

Not necessarily. Some people who see it with the small tube don't see it (or not as much) with the 30mm tube because the LED is positioned differently.

I didnt think of the smaller tube being less forgiving. Thats one thing I love about the Eotech, the PRO is nice in that aspect as well.

For range use, it doesn't matter. For other purposes, it can make a big difference.

The only thing is the Eotech just doesnt seem as bright to me as the aimpoint. Maybe thats because the aimpoints in a tube. I did have to send it back to Eotech when I first got it. I couldnt see the reticle at all outside. They fixed it and sent it back and its been great.

It might be your Eotech specifically, a quirk of the 553, or your batteries. My XPS2 is crazy bright turned all the way up in broad daylight. I think I'd have to be in direct sunlight in the snow or desert to need it that bright. It has 30 brightness levels and comes on at level 12. Even level 12 is bright. Mine is not NV compatible so maybe that makes a difference.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Not necessarily. Some people who see it with the small tube don't see it (or not as much) with the 30mm tube because the LED is positioned differently.

For range use, it doesn't matter. For other purposes, it can make a big difference.

It might be your Eotech specifically, a quirk of the 553, or your batteries. My XPS2 is crazy bright turned all the way up in broad daylight. I think I'd have to be in direct sunlight in the snow or desert to need it that bright. It has 30 brightness levels and comes on at level 12. Even level 12 is bright. Mine is not NV compatible so maybe that makes a difference.

Hmmm. Im gonna brave it and head out to Bass Pro. I want to compare mine to a new one and buy some brand new batteries for it.
    Maybe I find its just me. Or if I do see a difference, hopefully brand new batteries fix it. If not and it has to be sent back again I dont know if I want to keep it. I like the sight alot but if it has to be fixed again, I dont know how much I trust it.

Is there something about the 553's? Im using surefire batteries as well.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Compared it to a standard eotech at bass pro....not happy. Both at setting 12 the new one is more than bright enough. Both on max setting the new hurt my eyes inside the store...mine was about right forthe amount of light. Its going back to eotech, im highly ticked at them right now. Looks like the exact same issue i had before.

I dont know if im going to want it anymore because of this. What do you all think?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have an EOtech XPS2, Aimpoint Comp3, and a Trijicon SRS. I really prefer the Trijicon over the other two, the dot is much crisper and the field of view better than even the EOtech; which is probably hard to believe until you try it out.

It will run without batteries if you are outside, otherwise a single AA is needed. I've had mine turned on since I bought it earlier in the year and its still on the original battery.

EB09153E-107B-4457-8C5D-2C4513DCA26D-604-000000EFBB0A5145.jpg

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Not sure, I really don't care for the magnifiers as they have really poor eye relief. When

When I shoot this one from a bench at 200 yards, I can hold about a 12 inch group.

I'm pretty sure it is NV compatible....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom