• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Berretta grips are too big for #5. They feel like an axe handle compared to say a Browning Hi-Power. CZ/EAA/Bul Storm feels much smaller.

Agree on the Beretta. Sold mine years ago because it was too big. My suggestion a CZ of some sort. Love my CZ P-01. And my Shadow Target. Any of the CZ 75s would be good. Another thing with the CZ s is that you can buy the Kadet .22 upper and shoot cheap.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Sorry for bringing up an old post, but curious if have experience with these? You seem to have suggested them in several threads.

I have a Bersa Thunder 9 UC and it is a great little gun. I initially had a Firestorm Mini 9 (which is the same gun but imported under the Firestorm name), traded it on a lark and then turned right around and bought the Bersa. It is reliable, good capacity (13 rounds) and rock solid.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    so... while reading this thread one question.... I don't own any pistols that aren't striker fired (i'll fix that one day) and with a DA/SA with a safety vs a decocker, does one just bring the hammer down safely so it is stored DA? does the safety on said pistol not deckock the pistol? does it leave the pistol like a 1911? the only hammer fired pistols I've fired have both been berretas, but I wasn't sure which model they were so I have no idea if they had safeties or decockers, I just fired them like I do my striker fired handguns, keep booger hook off trigger, drop mag, pull slide back and lock to verify empty and leave as such till I wanted to shoot again.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    so... while reading this thread one question.... I don't own any pistols that aren't striker fired (i'll fix that one day) and with a DA/SA with a safety vs a decocker, does one just bring the hammer down safely so it is stored DA? does the safety on said pistol not deckock the pistol? does it leave the pistol like a 1911? the only hammer fired pistols I've fired have both been berretas, but I wasn't sure which model they were so I have no idea if they had safeties or decockers, I just fired them like I do my striker fired handguns, keep booger hook off trigger, drop mag, pull slide back and lock to verify empty and leave as such till I wanted to shoot again.

Decocker brings the hammer down. I don't know of any safeties that do that. Meaning they perform their "safety" function after it "decocked" it.

A safety can keep a cocked DA/SA safe when cocked (cocked and locked). All but the first trigger press on a DA/SA are SA shots.

Not having a safety engaged will allow a first DA shot. Having a safety engaged will prevent a DA shot.

Some safeties when engaged on a DA/SA disconnects the hammer altogether and you get no resistance on that trigger when you press it. Some are a physical block preventing movement of the trigger.

Many different safety combinations on different brands of pistols.
    I think HK might be the one company with the most of these different combinations available.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I have a Bersa Thunder 9 UC and it is a great little gun. I initially had a Firestorm Mini 9 (which is the same gun but imported under the Firestorm name), traded it on a lark and then turned right around and bought the Bersa. It is reliable, good capacity (13 rounds) and rock solid.

Appreciate the info.

I'm in the market for a new light EDC. My top 3 are..

Bersa Thunder 9 UC
    CZ75D PCR
    S&W Bodyguard 380

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Appreciate the info.

I'm in the market for a new light EDC. My top 3 are..

Bersa Thunder 9 UC
    CZ75D PCR
    S&W Bodyguard 380

My opinion only, but you can't go wrong with the Bersa or CZ. I'm personally not fond of the Bodyguard and if I was going to carry a pocket 380, I'd choose either the Sig P238 or a Colt Govt or Mustang 380. I've had all three, still have the Sig and am currently bidding on another Govt 380 (I miss the one I sold).

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    My opinion only, but you can't go wrong with the Bersa or CZ. I'm personally not fond of the Bodyguard and if I was going to carry a pocket 380, I'd choose either the Sig P238 or a Colt Govt or Mustang 380. I've had all three, still have the Sig and am currently bidding on another Govt 380 (I miss the one I sold).

I'm not a fanboy of the 1911 style handgun. Call me unpatriotic...:)

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Decocker brings the hammer down. I don't know of any safeties that do that. Meaning they perform their "safety" function after it "decocked" it.

A safety can keep a cocked DA/SA safe when cocked (cocked and locked). All but the first trigger press on a DA/SA are SA shots.

Not having a safety engaged will allow a first DA shot. Having a safety engaged will prevent a DA shot.

Some safeties when engaged on a DA/SA disconnects the hammer altogether and you get no resistance on that trigger when you press it. Some are a physical block preventing movement of the trigger.

Many different safety combinations on different brands of pistols.
    I think HK might be the one company with the most of these different combinations available.

so depending on the pistol, you may get a different mechanism. appreciate the info... now I need to try some out to figure out what I want.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Sorry for bringing up an old post, but curious if have experience with these? You seem to have suggested them in several threads.

Had one for quite a while, worked well due to the fact I was right handed and wife was left handed. With it being truly ambidextrous both of us were able to function all the controls no matter who was using it. Scores points in that regard not only for different shooters, but in the event your dominant hand is disabled, you can still easily reach the controls with your other hand. Said controls do add some width, but imho that is minimal

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not a big fan of Taurus, but if someone says something that isn't correct, I point out the error. I've owned two Tauri, neither had given me problems.

Pretty sure I didn't say HK was the ONLY company offering these options, but most commonly availability of these options on more of their firearms. Seems every non striker fired pistol they offer have a decocker/safety option available.

I've never owned a Taurus, so never any problems with one either. :thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good points all.

The Beretta 92F does the decock/safety thing; I think it's the worst safety of all of the mass sold guns. The only upside is that there are a few documented cases where a perp has gotten the gun from the good guy (usually a cop) and couldn't figure out how to disengage the safety during the fight. It's also super easy to take the slide off the Beretta (and Taurus clones) from the front. Years after we were doing this, Jackie Chan did it in one of his movies.

I've said this dozens or more times, I do not like manual, external safety's on a ccw handgun. Couple exceptions, if you've seriously trained with the 1911 style safety and can do it reliably 99.99% of the time under stress training and you carry that way religiously, ok.

A manual external safety does not make the gun any safer, in fact the opposite for most people and most guns. One more thing to accidentally become engaged, disengaged, break, or have to train to overcome during the most stressful few seconds of your life. Not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom