• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave T

Does that mean a DA/SA is a “great” pistol? Lol

I greatly appreciate all the input. Here’s a bit more info on my mindset:

I have a Sig P229 (.40 S&W). Have to admit, I do like the decocker. I also have a Remington 1911 (.45 ACP). So I'm covered as far as those go. I also have a few semi-autos in smaller calibers, but want one more big caliber semi. (I’d also like to get a Taurus Judge. That’s gotta be fun to shoot).

What got me looking at the Springfield XDM was hearing that it’s a good cross between a 1911 and a Glock. I’ve always fancied the Glocks. Never bought one though since I feel a pistol should have at least one safety feature that’s not on the trigger. I’ve read about too many accidental discharges with the Glocks. If I could “have it all”, here’s what I’d want:

Frame – Polymer.
    Action - SA/DA (I do like having a hammer).
    Magazine – Double-stack (I want high capacity, and I actually like a fat grip).
    Safety – Slide, frame or grip. (Trigger is OK, but would want at least one of the others if it has it).
    Decocker – Nice to have, but not a must.
    Caliber – Prefer .45 ACP, but would consider .40 S&W if there’s something out there that’s too great to pass up.
    Price – Below $1K. (Considering the Springfield XDM is < $700, I’d like to be well below $1K).

Anything out there that fits the bill?

Last edited:

trance3

Jun 13, 2013
    Just go with H&K P30 and you will not regret. I bought it without every firing or holding one in my hand, and I love it. It is my go to handgun. In all honesty, XD and MPs don't even come close. Don't believe the H&K hate groups, ask any military in the world.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Wanting to buy another semi-auto pistol before MOM makes me submit to fingerprinting. Leaning towards the Springfield XDM in .45 ACP. I like the polymer frame and the high capacity. Problem is, for the action, my preference has always been SA & DA.

Any suggestions for a good/great SA/DA pistol that I should consider instead?

I'm a big H&K fan. Their .45 ACP is a great firearm, and is normally an SA/DA model, but if you can get to a dealer who stocks them, check out the LEM DOA model. Once I tried it, I ended up replacing my 9mm SA/DA and getting the .45 APC in DOA LEM as well.

With the DOA LEM, the slide cocks the hammer spring, but hammer stays down. If you are used to keeping an SA/DA model chambered, decocked and holstered, the DOA LEM model reduces the trigger pull weight of the first shot from 11 lbs. to about 5 lbs., and still has a short trigger reset on subsequent shots.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm a big H&K fan. Their .45 ACP is a great firearm, and is normally an SA/DA model, but if you can get to a dealer who stocks them, check out the LEM DOA model. Once I tried it, I ended up replacing my 9mm SA/DA and getting the .45 APC in DOA LEM as well.

With the DOA LEM, the slide cocks the hammer spring, but hammer stays down. If you are used to keeping an SA/DA model chambered, decocked and holstered, the DOA LEM model reduces the trigger pull weight of the first shot from 11 lbs. to about 2 lbs., and still has a short trigger reset on subsequent shots.
    2 lbs doesn't sound right. Are you sure about that?

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    FNX, I have the .40 and love it. Been super reliable and like the decocker. I hate to say it but more accurate with that then my M&P Pro long slide, somehow...

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    One more thing on HK :

Safety can be engaged in both the DA and SA condition

Slide can be cocked with the safety ENGAGED in both the DA and SA conditions to conduct either a slide press check for safety, or to chamber a round. Kind of a unique feature :D

It's worth noting most of the H&Ks can have triggers changed out for different options...on the USP, there are multiple variants including DA/SA with safety up 1911-style CAL and down for decock, DA/SA with decock only, SA only with safety and no decock (capable of a double action pull in the event of a FTF...kind of rare), DAO with safety (discontinued, IIRC) and Law-Enforcement Modification (LEM)...then there is also the Match Trigger which is a DA/SA that has a nicer pull of a slightly different weight and break, plus a slightly faster reset. Within the LEM, there are a lot of different options as far as weight goes. All of this is a DIY operation provided the user is competent with detail stripping and function checking the USP, and all of the above can have the weight of the pull adjusted via a few different springs. All of the above also have the option of having RH, LH, or ambi levers...with that said, RH V1 (SA/DA with decock) and LEM with no lever are going to be the most common by-far...for the more unusual triggers, it's something that must be special ordered or added as few dealers will carry them given they are slower to move and the LEM has gained in popularity immensely. Further, many LH shooters will prefer the P2000 or P30 because both offer not only ambi mag releases, but also ambi slide releases.

The P2000 has far fewer options because of the compact size designed to eliminate the side lever and relocating the decock to the back of the slide on variants without the LEM.

The P30 has a few more options because some models have the SA/DA side lever of the USP (RH default with LH available), but not as many as the USP/USPc because, 1) on the default base model, it continues the P2000's tradition of offering the decock on the back of the slide as it makes an ambi gun without having to put a side lever on both sides (which can be uncomfortable for carry and can make it a PITA to find a holster for)...most P30s will have this, 2) it's newer and H&K is generally slow to bring products to market, 3) the LEM has gotten ridiculously popular (and for good reason), and 4) many of the unusual USP trigger variants simply aren't that popular and so they are probably not a high priority (the LEM was not available when the USP first came out). IIRC, the only DIY trigger upgrade kits available are LEM and (recently) a Match Trigger (which is a whole different kit from the USP, but don't quote me as I'm a USP guy).

Essentially, the LEM and the relocation of the decock both give fully-ambi options that arguably suits most shooters. But one of the biggest advantages of the USP, P2000, and P30 is that there are a ton of trigger options in which different users can change out themselves to suit their usage needs and that's great flexibility. Personally, I like the Match Trigger cocked-and-locked for my full-sized USPs and the 'light' LEM for my USP Compacts.

There are a lot of great pistols on the market, but the USP platform is without a doubt among the finest. The P30's 100,000 round stress test (with only a few springs replaced at 50k), the USP 'torture tests', the Mk23 NATO testing, and the ability for the USP to clear a squib round firing through and the gun to still operate without malfunction with only a minimal impact to the accuracy (not sure how many others can do that...) demonstrates just how great the platform is and how much it can withstand. It's an expensive gun, but IMO it's worth every penny. The P30 takes user-customization further than the USP and P2k because now you also have adjustable grips, a better rail, better ergos, and a recoil reduction device that IMO is better than the one used on the USP. So my biased opinion is that you should check one out and shoot it at a range. :innocent0

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Essentially, the LEM and the relocation of the decock both give fully-ambi options that arguably suits most shooters. But one of the biggest advantages of the USP, P2000, and P30 is that there are a ton of trigger options in which different users can change out themselves to suit their usage needs and that's great flexibility.

It should be noted that the P30 can NOT be converted from DA/SA to DOA LEM. At least H&K does not approve it, nor sell a DOA/LEM conversion kit for the P30.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Beretta is a good SA/DA pistol the only issue is with the hammer in the down position it has an extremely long trigger pull. It seemed longer than most revolvers I have shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom