• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave T

The accuracy issue is a matter of breaking it in and lubricating the barrel lug properly. Mine was almost wildly innacurate (6" groups at 7yards) for the first 150 rounds or so. I also learned that the lug assembly likes to be well lubricated. I now hit it with a shot of lithium grease and accuracy improved immediately.

It is more accurate than my 92 (in my hands) but nowhere near as accurate as either of my standard sized revolvers. But then again, I dont expect any semi to shoot like a 686 :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Do they all have a break in period, or is it more about lubrication? What do you think of the rotating barrel? My first thought is that might just be one more moving part - a moving part that may be highly susceptible to wear,tear and breakage.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Some of the folks here are not fans of SA/DA for a pistol. Why is that? Is there some short coming I should be aware of?

I prefer a DA/SA. I prefer the old school hammer and I feel I have more control. There has been some really good suggestions here. My preferences are for Berettas and CZ's.

I prefer a consistent trigger. That's my only gripe with DA/SA. There is no bad choice if you train!
    You can always thumb the hammer for the first shot. That is what God put it there for.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Do they all have a break in period, or is it more about lubrication? What do you think of the rotating barrel? My first thought is that might just be one more moving part - a moving part that may be highly susceptible to wear,tear and breakage.

I think a break in period is typical. I have never heard of a lug/barrel breaking. It's a fairly stout design, and basically looks like what you'd find in an AK between the BCG and bolt.

There's another thread going now about Berettas. The main issue with this gun (although I haven't experienced it) is with feeding it a steady diet of JHPs. There are reports of some JHPs digging into the feed ramp. There is a lot of info on this in the Beretta forum. Only other noteworthy advice on the gun is regarding the grip. I have small to average size hands but with the medium backstrap, the gun didn't point naturally for me. It wanted to point left. I added the larger backstrap and it solved the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

storm1969

Jul 30, 2013
    Witness...

I have a witness, all metal, in 40. Love it. I will eventually get one in .45 and likely 10mm

Nice solid pistol, and cheap! Can even find them with 6" barrels (hunter variant)

Brian

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Trying not to threadjack but I am in the same dilema as the OP. I am looking for my next pistol whose purpose (when I am outside the state of MD) will be IWB carry. My two main concerns are weight and capacity. I am looking at either .45 ACP or .40 S&W. I prefer a SA/DA over a striker fire for my own reasons, so I am staying within those realms. I want at least 10-round capacity but 12 or 15 would be better. I seem to have narrowed myself down to either the HK USP-45T or the FNX-45T (the tacticals apparently have much better triggers even though I don't need the threaded barrrel). I have ruled out anything PX4 after all the trouble the MDSP had with theirs. I really like the look of the P220 Combat, but not crazy about the way the 10-round magazine sticks out. Oh, and I am kinda worried about those sharp prisms on the FNXs grip. I know it is kinda uncomfortable to handle without gloves, wonder how it feels to shoot without gloves as well.

So I guess I am trying to see what other options I have available that fit my requirements. Also, Night Sights would also be nice out of the box.

Dave T

Trying not to threadjack but I am in the same dilema as the OP....

No worries about threadjacking. I'd like to hear all opinions, and what others like yourself are seeking. I'm getting great advice here, and a great education.

Are the MDSP problems with the Beretta discussed in the Beretta thread? I'll need to find and read through that/those thread(s).

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    No worries about threadjacking. I'd like to hear all opinions, and what others like yourself are seeking. I'm getting great advice here, and a great education.

Are the MDSP problems with the Beretta discussed in the Beretta thread? I'll need to find and read through that/those thread(s).

I am sure there is a thread in it here somewhere but to sum it up they had problems with the magazines not engaging so Beretta took em all back for repairs. Then they had problems with the magazine floor plates falling out and in 3 of the 5 Duty Officers I work with plus a couple others I know had problems with the feed ramp cracking and chipping as the ramp is just a slug of steel in a plastic holder.

Now I am looking at the Witness. I heard they had some issues with cracking on the slides in the .45 and 10mm models. Wonder if they ever got that fixed. Also, how do they compare to the USP or FNX?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I have been very happy with my PX4 9mm compact. 15 round mag, and not too big, not too small IWB carry with Alien Gear holster. No problems of any sort, but if you are worried about the rep, the CZ 75 PO7 Duty is a really nice DA/SA with thumb safety and 15 round mags. The trigger is super smooth. They are somewhat difficult to locate locally, but plenty available on the web.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    ce DA/SA with thumb safety and 15 round mags. The trigger is super smooth. They are somewhat difficult to locate locally, but plenty available on the web.

That's the other part of my dilemma. I have enough for a down-payment and could pay it off by mid-September so I can take possession before Oct 1st. I just have to make sure the shop I purchase from will do lay-a-way and also is still doing 8-day transfers.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    A couple people have made the comment about simply thumbing the hammer for the first shot if you want. But isn't the trigger pull generally different on a SA/DA verse a SA only? Perhaps a bit more travel?

Thumbing the hammer makes the trigger pull SA because the trigger is only releasing the hammer. DA the trigger is compressing the hammer spring as it cocks the hammer before releasing it.

Dave T

Thumbing the hammer makes the trigger pull SA because the trigger is only releasing the hammer. DA the trigger is compressing the hammer spring as it cocks the hammer before releasing it.

The question is... with SA/DA pistols, when in SA mode does the trigger pull act and feel the same as with a SA only pistol? If the answer is no, I don't understand why some people knock SA/DA pistols.

jkerm3

Jul 17, 2013
    Sunderland
    I have a full size stainless steel CZ75B 9mm with 16 rd magazines and a Beretta PX4 compact .40 with 12 rd mags. Both are extremely accurate and have had no problems with any ammo I have fed them. I think either one fits your description so it comes down to size and feel. Good luck and have fun with your search.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My $.02 worth. I originally wanted a FNX .40 mostly for the fact that they are fully ambi and I feel they make good pistols. After tracking one down and holding it, I was disappointed in those grips (as someone mentioned). I then went to Continental Arms and tried a HK P30 and will again 2nd the opinion of another poster that it had quite the recoil when compared to a Beretta 90 two. The Glock 23 was incredible and I was very accurate with it. That is something I could not be with either the Beretta or the HK. That said, I chose a 229. Like the OP, I wanted the combo that worked for me and it happens to be the Sig. As it turned out, I didn't need all of the ambi features.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    My $.02 worth. I originally wanted a FNX .40 mostly for the fact that they are fully ambi and I feel they make good pistols. After tracking one down and holding it, I was disappointed in those grips (as someone mentioned). I then went to Continental Arms and tried a HK P30 and will again 2nd the opinion of another poster that it had quite the recoil when compared to a Beretta 90 two. The Glock 23 was incredible and I was very accurate with it. That is something I could not be with either the Beretta or the HK. That said, I chose a 229. Like the OP, I wanted the combo that worked for me and it happens to be the Sig. As it turned out, I didn't need all of the ambi features.

That was me on the FNX grip. I had a FNP-9 and loved it but the FNPs didn't have a fully supported chamber, which the FNXs do but those prisms are uncomfortable and I am not gonna put on a pair of gloves just to carry a pistol. I also have a P229 and am very happy with it but want a .45 that is not as heavy as the 1911 and has a higher capacity. The Sig P220 Combat is a bad ass looking gun, but the 10 round mag sticks out more than I am comfortable with. Everything leads me back to the USP.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Generally more travel and longer reset, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

There is no "reset" on the DA portion of a DA/SA pistol unless you de-cock it after every shot. Even then, you would be required to do a full "press" to fire the first DA shot again.

On a DAO pistol I think there is a "reset" but I haven't fired many DAO pistols to even remember.

In case some don't know...... Maybe someone can explain it better,

Reset is the rear to forward travel of the trigger (after a shot) up to the point you hear the "click" where there is no "play" and you stop right there. Instead of letting it out all the way forward and you have to take up that empty space to the "reset" to take your next shot.

Dave T

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not... Looking at the Beretta Px4 (40 SW). Some will advertise them as having a blue finish, and in any of the stock photos I see from Beretta, the gun appears to have the blueish gray tint. In some photos taken by the seller they are jet black. Is that just a factor of the photographer's lighting, or do these come in different color finishes?

jkerm3

Jul 17, 2013
    Sunderland
    Not sure if this is a dumb question or not... Looking at the Beretta Px4 (40 SW). Some will advertise them as having a blue finish, and in any of the stock photos I see from Beretta, the gun appears to have the blueish gray tint. In some photos taken by the seller they are jet black. Is that just a factor of the photographer's lighting, or do these come in different color finishes?

I have never seen a PX4 colored in anything other than black. Great gun IMO. I've had ZERO problems with my .40 compact. Compact is the perfect size too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom