• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I built this one tonight (actually repurposed a plain Jane AR). The upper came from RightToBear. Some things I prefer:

1. MILSPEC lower with magwell insert, so I can go back to 5.56 or 300 Black or whatever I want. Esp. if this is an SBR.
    2. Colt style mag. Glock mages are not made for an AR magwell!!! Colt style locks open on the last round without any added do-dads. Colt style mags use the normal manual of arms to insert and release the mag. I can get a 32 round mag from out of state. A 10 round is pictured.
    3. Slick side upper. I am not installing a forward assist that does nothing and adds weight.
    4. 9mm size ejection port; I am hoping this minimizes gas in the face - we shall see.
    5. Cassette trigger with a hammer made esp. for 9mm bolts. I like this CMC straight single stage trigger for faster shooting as opposed to a two-stage Geissele for more deliberate longer range shots. Yes I know cassette triggers can be less reliable but this is a range toy - calculated trade-off.

Right now it uses a 7.5 oz PCC buffer and carbine buffer spring. May switch to something more sophisticated later.

This Holosun red dot looks better than my Vortex or PA red dots. It's as good as my Aimpoint PRO. I like the micro prisms better though, but that's a future thing.

IMG_2604.JPEG
    IMG_2605_doctored.JPEG
    IMG_2606.JPEG

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Hello, I like Glock compatible AR9 Pistol Caliber Carbines because then I can carry both without having to have separate magazines.

70507815684__49954C13-C969-45FD-BD13-E85FDF2464C5.jpeg

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Never having had a AR9 mm carbine. They are starting to grab me. I also am like the Ruger 57 . If I was considering either what are the pros and cons of each and why should I get a 9 or 57 carbine any way. I’m 6’5 270 lbs so a 16” AR feels like a toy rifle to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Never having had a AR9 mm carbine. They are starting to grab me. I also am like the Ruger 57 . If I was considering either what are the pros and cons of each and why should I get a 9 or 57 carbine any way. I’m 6’5 270 lbs so a 16” AR feels like a toy rifle to begin with.
    If you're asking practically speaking why you should get an AR-9, I'd only bother if:
    1. You're going to use it in some sort of PCC competition
    2. You're going to use it suppressed and have a plan for procuring subs
    3. The only nearby range is pistol-caliber-only.

PCCs/SMGs for purposes involving terminal effect have been obsolete for nearly 50 years. Pistol cartridge remains a pistol cartridge, regardless of whether it's coming out of a 4" barrel or a 16" barrel.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Other reasons for me would be you share ammo type with other platforms. For me 9mm would be the same as all my pistols.
    9mm is everywhere.

The 57x28 is just another animal though. Interesting cartridge sort of blurring the lines . But you would have to then stockpile another cartridge. The circle continues

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Other reasons for me would be you share ammo type with other platforms. For me 9mm would be the same as all my pistols.
    9mm is everywhere.
    I don't know that this is a reason to buy a PCC versus a reason to buy a specific sort of PCC. The fact that you have a Glock doesn't mean you have to run out and buy a Glock-mag PCC. If you need a PCC anyways, I could see trying to capitalize on ammo and magazine commonalities - albeit to some extent this is a red herring, because you might be better off just buying the right PCC regardless of what mags it takes (ala the MPX).

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My FA uses a colt style 9mm only lower,
    shorter barrel and
    a suppressor. My SA is a JP with Glock mag , 14.5 p&w for steel. Both are fun guns that work very reliably. Not my first choice for defense but certainly capable if I have an opening in the roster.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yep I agree with most of you all say. A 9mm is probably just a fun factor utilizing a common cartridge.

57x28 though is a whole other animal. Only problem is it’s either thin the herd or get another safe at this point. Just don’t know if it will be a Liberty safe.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You have valid points for 9mm though. Though I'd add to your list:
    4. just want to have cheaper fun
    If you want to have cheap fun, buy a Tippmann M4-22 Pro/Elite. I shoot about 50/50 22lr/223 at practices these days, and I like the Tippmann for working ready-ups and transitions without breaking the bank.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    This looks interesting to me. S&W M&P FPC ( Folding Pistol -caliber Carbine ). Cost MSRP $650.

-16" barrel. 30" overall, 16.5" folded. Velocity @ 50 yrds 1400-1600fps.

PCC.PNG

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    No matter your mag choice (mine is Glock, because I own 7 Glocks) These damn things are fun as Hell to shoot! Mine is an SBR. It has an LRB lower with a Stern Defense 9mm adapter w/ bolt hold open, a sweet-ass two stage trigger, (light pull) a BCM pistol grip, an Odin Works adjustable buffer, (set at 5.8oz with no suppressor, 11oz with) carbine buffer spring, a Mission First Tactical adjustable stock and a Radian Raptor SD charging handle (vented) I may also add an Aero Precision adjustable gas block later. This combo works beautifully
    IMG_3220.jpeg

Last edited:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    If you're asking practically speaking why you should get an AR-9, I'd only bother if:
    1. You're going to use it in some sort of PCC competition
    2. You're going to use it suppressed and have a plan for procuring subs
    3. The only nearby range is pistol-caliber-only.

PCCs/SMGs for purposes involving terminal effect have been obsolete for nearly 50 years. Pistol cartridge remains a pistol cartridge, regardless of whether it's coming out of a 4" barrel or a 16" barrel.
    Absolutely not true! Remember, 9mm is a .36 caliber bullet, that travels anywhere from 900-2,200 fps. out of a 4” barrel (1,800 fps. underwood’s 68gr. +P extreme Defender & Civil Liberties 50gr. 2,200fps) that fps. estimate goes up drastically through a longer barrel. (2,600fps) There are several examples of this, on YouTube

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Absolutely not true! Remember, 9mm is a .36 caliber bullet, that travels anywhere from 900-2,000 fps. out of a 4” barrel (1,800 fps. underwood’s 68gr. extreme Defender & Civil Liberties 50gr. 2,000fps) that fps. estimate goes up drastically through a longer barrel. (2,600fps) There are several examples of this, on YouTube
    No, I feel pretty good about what I said. It still does not turn it into a rifle round, I assure you. Penetration is still far reduced, and the BC will continue to be awful. Terminal effect will also not be much different from the extra fps. Velocity isn't everything. It's something, but it's not everything.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The Stern Defense Glock style mag adapter is what I chose after trying the MeansArms adapters. They worked okay, but an OOB detonation caused some damage to one which is why I invested in the Stern Defense adapter. I also have a large stash of Glock mags.
    Finally dialed in the buffer and spring combination so that is no longer an issue.
    The 10.5" barrel results in a pistol that is capable of 3" groups @ 100 yards and lots of fun. It makes a very good home defense weapon, IMO. Higher velocities from the longer barrel and the right bullet selection can make it a very deadly weapon. My standard hollow point handloads achieve just over 1200 FPS which translates into maximum bullet expansion upon impact for my chosen projectile.
    The 9mm has enough power to penetrate heavy clothing, but not so much that using it in a defensive situation will give me pause about it presenting a substantial hazard to my neighbors. If a threat is within 100 yards, the 9mm is a good choice and has enough energy to inflict lots of damage to flesh and bone. Of course, the cartridge has it's limitations but it is intended to be used at short range.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The fact remains, the 9x19 mm cartridge is not the same cartridge it was born as. Higher velocities with a widely developed bullet selection make it one of the most versatile medium bore rounds out there. Sure, there are 'more lethal' cartridges out there, .45 acp, 10mm, .40 S&W, etc, but where the 9mm shines is its shootability. It perfectly bridges the gap between smaller, lighter(recoil) rounds and the big bore guns boasting superior knock-down power. I would argue, it is by far the most prolific self defense round going these days, with good reason.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Absolutely not true! Remember, 9mm is a .36 caliber bullet, that travels anywhere from 900-2,000 fps. out of a 4” barrel (1,800 fps. underwood’s 68gr. extreme Defender & Civil Liberties 50gr. 2,000fps) that fps. estimate goes up drastically through a longer barrel. (2,600fps) There are several examples of this, on YouTube
    68gr? 50gr? That'll have no energy retention. No one is getting those speeds with typical bullet designs and pressures in 9mm.
    Even 9mm +P ammo only goes up about 15-20% from 4" -> 16".
    I will admit you could probably load faster if you handloaded with a powder optimized for a rifle instead of a pistol.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    9mm ARs are fun, just be aware that you'll end up shooting a lot more than you anticipated. The .22 LR is the only round that costs less per shot out of this platform. If you're shooting subsonic 9mm ammunition from a full length barrel, it's a lot quieter than think it would be. Using a blast forwarder during a Steel Challenge match, I've had to reshoot multiple times due to how quiet it is. And with Colt style magazines, the manual of arms with an AR is exactly like running a rifle caliber, so you don't have to switch how you reload versus the angled way you have to insert Glock mags. You may personally not find any use for them, but they do allow shooting practice with the AR platform in places where you can't shoot rifle rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom