• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    My wife is firm on the M9 or 92, as she wants to practice her service qual with a version of what she will be shooting. I am wanting to get a .40 for self defense/CCW purposes. I will check out the 96. Thanks for advice.

Definitely sounds like your wife should get the M9/M92, no argument there.

The 92/96 though, IMO, are a little big for CCW unless you're pretty good sized (and are we talking about CCW in Maryland? :lol2: There's a thread or two on that! :sad20:).

But one advantage, I think the M96 can take a barrel/magazine swap and shoot 9mm as well, so you can change calibers for plinking and variety. So you get 2 pistols for the price of maybe 1 1/2, which is always good!

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    What would I want? Oh, so many.

But to narrow it down, let's see:
    An M&P shield .40 to go with my full-size
    A S&W 686 (maybe 586) for a 3-4" barrel, 7-round wheelgun
    Some variety of .40 carbine (Beretta if they leave, other if they stay)
    38/357 lever-gun, a Henry/Marlin/Winchester (not sure)
    M1 Garand
    M1 Carbine

I'd start with the lever gun, I do plan to get that, with the revolver next (I have a Taurus snubbie that wants a big brother). After that it'll probably be October, so I'll be getting into the CMP program to start on that Garand for some serious long range action!

echo, I'd put that M&P Shield at the bottom of your list. It comes standard with 6 & 7 round magazines, which will still be perfectly legal in MD on 10/1/13.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Okay. So I always wanted a handgun and I kinda want an AR-15. First baby is on the way and we're saving $$$ where we can. If I just buy a stripped lower, will I be okay by Oct 1, 2013? Like, I can still buy parts to build the gun, right? And lowers are already regulated so I should be grandfathered in. Right?

BirchBrook22

Jan 4, 2013
    For me to get what I want, I also need to take care of the lady of the house. But I am stumped.

I am looking for options in a 9mm, full size, but not as large as a Beretta 92 or Sig.

But I am looking for that in a DA / SA with a de-cocker safety.

Basically, larger than a Walther PPK/S, smaller than a Beretta 92, and in 9mm.

On paper, the Beretta PX4 is perfect. But I am seriously put off by having read too many reliability and durability issues about them.

Any ideas?

I have a Storm and it has been 100% reliable and shoots anything I put through it. 1000k rds through at least.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Some of you have weird opinions on what to buy before the ban. Screw your wish list, you need to prioritize.
    this is pretty much the correct answer. well, as long as it doesn't conflict with what i personally want to buy...

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I took the precaution of ordering several items a month ago. Right now, I've got the following in the procurement pipeline:

Pardini SP
    Sig P229
    LaRue OBR
    Fulton Armory AR lower (complete)
    M1 Garand

I'm debating an M1A

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    My weird list comes from 2 regulated items I want before this law goes into place. I refuse to be finger printed to exercise a right. Therefore, I need to buy these before the law goes into effect.

I suspect some people may also decide to no longer purchase based on the new requirements.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    The 92/96 though, IMO, are a little big for CCW unless you're pretty good sized (and are we talking about CCW in Maryland? :lol2: There's a thread or two on that! :sad20:).

No, getting my FL resident permit and looking at Utah eventually. It looks likely I'll end up in VA by the end of the year, so I might just wait on a pistol. I spent a lot of money acquiring three ARs the last few months, and my wife is starting to get that tight-lipped, losing patience look when I talk about any new acquisitions. lol

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Buy lowers and receivers of any type of banned rifles specific to the list and their exact manufactured copies. Also buy any semi-auto rifle you want that is less then 29 inches in overall length (e.g. Bullpups). Stop wasting time on pistols, as you'll still be ABLE to get them after Oct. 1st, just without any magazines if they're over 10rnds.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    this is pretty much the correct answer. well, as long as it doesn't conflict with what i personally want to buy...
    I feel your pain. I was at Engage recently, and they had a Thunder Ranch Mossberg O/U. I've had that on my toy wishlist for a long time... but I passed on it. The reviews on the revised Bullpup Unlimited stock made me want to do an 870 bullpup build... but I decided to wait. I need the Tavor and SKS-M/D, and I'm keeping my eyes on the prize.

I have a wishlist that I update with all of the guns, optics, and accessories I want to buy. It has sucked going to bare minimum mode and not getting all the optics and furniture I want. But those aren't getting banned, so they can wait. I assume 2014 will be the year of upgrades rather than new guns.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For me to get what I want, I also need to take care of the lady of the house. But I am stumped.

I am looking for options in a 9mm, full size, but not as large as a Beretta 92 or Sig.

But I am looking for that in a DA / SA with a de-cocker safety.

Basically, larger than a Walther PPK/S, smaller than a Beretta 92, and in 9mm.

On paper, the Beretta PX4 is perfect. But I am seriously put off by having read too many reliability and durability issues about them.

Any ideas?

Take a look at the CZ-75B decocker. Better for smaller hands than most double-stack 9mms.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    I got a few lowers in 2012, so for 2013:

Steyr Aug
    M1A Scout
    RFB

Looks like tuna and and Ramen noodles in 2014...

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    I have a wishlist that I update with all of the guns, optics, and accessories I want to buy. It has sucked going to bare minimum mode and not getting all the optics and furniture I want. But those aren't getting banned, so they can wait. I assume 2014 will be the year of upgrades rather than new guns.
    at least at this point i can console myself by noting that i have lost since hit most of the notable stuff on soon-to-be banned list that i'd want to do at some point in the past. but things beyond that come with their own sets of difficulties, i suppose...

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Always wanted a Steyer AUG, but with NATO Stock so I can use my evil PMAGs.

2nd Glock 19- not banned, but I don't feel like kneeling for the license, fingerprint, fee crap.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I forgot in my earlier post, I also want a SPAS-12. I don't know why, but I just do. I don't care that everyone says they are big heavy fragile turds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom