• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012
    So I noticed last year and earlier this year that the sks was rising in prices to around $400-500. Now I like the SKS, I think it's a great gun and plan to own one some time soon, but I don't think it's quite worth $400. Over the past few weeks, I think that other people feel the same way, and dealers are realizing that. Because I've come across several SKS rifles lowering back down to the 300 and under area. Some as low as $150! What do you guys think? Also a quick side question, can I buy an sks in Canada and have it shipped to an FFL in my area like I would from another US state?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3CSKS&name=Chinese+SKS+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=12

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/chicomsks

http://www.leverarms.com/russian-simonov-sks-45.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-GRI118G

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I've noticed this too. I don't see how they sold for 400 (to non-C&R collectors) when you can get a Wasr AK for 500. That might have something to do with it. As for that unbelievable price for the Russian SKS's on leverarms, that seems too good to be true. How are they not sold out?

May 13, 2005
    Also a quick side question, can I buy an sks in Canada and have it shipped to an FFL in my area like I would from another US state?

Wouldn't that be sweet. There are some amazing deals to be bought in Canada. And in quite a few other countries. Need an importer's license, tho.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Forget about the Russians....Canada.

The lower prices of the Chinese currently available here are due to the LOWER condition of these guns. If the condition were excellent to like new unissued and all original Chinese, you can bet your ass that the prices would be at least $100.00 higher.

Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012
    Well the whole importing thing sucks, but I'm glad that the us sellers prices are dropping.

edit; whe you say lower condition, are you talking about the stock? or the entire gun? If it's just the stock, it doesn't matter to me because I'd put a tapco on it anyway.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    As soon as the vendors sell out the the recent batch of Chinese sks's prices will just back to $400 for the Chinese with C&R status.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    not worth it back in the day when my father was buying them for 70-120 bucks they were good even 150 but with $500 aks the sks will lose more and more favor

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    SKS are second rate when compared to the AK

Well... if you're going to compare apples and oranges. The AK also isn't C&R.
    Sorry, I'd rather pay $250-$300 for an SKS and have it shipped to my door than drop $400-$500 on an AK and have to do paper work and wait to pick up my regulated firearm.... Just me.

*On a side note, I've never paid more than $199 for any of my SKSs (the most recent being about 6 months ago) and every one of them is a tack driver.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Well the whole importing thing sucks, but I'm glad that the us sellers prices are dropping.

edit; whe you say lower condition, are you talking about the stock? or the entire gun? If it's just the stock, it doesn't matter to me because I'd put a tapco on it anyway.

He means the whole gun. These guns were imported in very used condition, whereas the majority of the Chinese SKS' previously on the market (the pre-1995 imports) were in new/refurbished condition. They came neatly packed in grease, in a box with accessories.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    As for that unbelievable price for the Russian SKS's on leverarms, that seems too good to be true. How are they not sold out?

And, if you'll notice, that's in Canadian dollars, to boot! But there's the rub ... you'd have to import the rifle from Canada.

It's also possible that the CAI cache that was brought in from an undisclosed country (*coughAlbania*) is now getting down to the bottom of the crates, and the best of the litter have gone. Still, if I was of a mind to plastic one up (I'm not), $230 wouldn't be a bad start price for the metal, even if the wood is trashed.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Wouldn't that be sweet. There are some amazing deals to be bought in Canada. And in quite a few other countries. Need an importer's license, tho.

On the flip side, people in Canada have to pay A LOT more for many guns we can buy fairly cheap here. And optics and parts.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Forget about the Russians....Canada.

The lower prices of the Chinese currently available here are due to the LOWER condition of these guns. If the condition were excellent to like new unissued and all original Chinese, you can bet your ass that the prices would be at least $100.00 higher.

This X10. These guns are ROUGH. I've seen a couple locally and they look like a hybrid Russian and Chinese. Heavier than the original Russian and Norincos also. Much like the Yugos.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Even with the importer's license you can't get import Russian rifles from Canada, otherwise we would be enjoying $300 SVT-40s.

As for the SKS I was not impressed with the way the rounds feed in, very prone to jamming. If accuracy is of the utmost importance, bolt action will beat out semi-auto every time.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have a very nice shooting Norinco SKS, with iron sights I would put it up against any rifle firing the same cartridge. There were some fit and finish issues with the gun that made it a reject when I bought it (could not be disassembled for cleaning or reassembled without the assistance of tools), but I corrected those in less than an hour of troubleshooting and refitting. I think its condition and status made it have less than 200 rounds thru it when I received it; its had a lot more thru it since then. :) I have no feed problems with this gun. Never did, it fed correctly from day one.

Everyone who shoots that one is impressed with how easy it is to shoot & hit the target even with cheap ammo whether they have shot rifles before or not.

I have a second SKS on order right now ... I'll report on its condition when it arrives.:party29:

Vincent

Jul 5, 2012
    Towson
    My son and I got two Norinco SKS' both in great shape. I wanted the chrome barrel and the ruski ones were all beat to crap. We love em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom