• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dj_justice

Aug 29, 2011
    Are SKS's running out? Is now the time to buy? Are they going to go up in price? Should I get a yugo or albanian?

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    well they certainly arent making any more of them, so by definition, yea, they're running out, the only question is when.

the yugos will be available for a while still, but especially in the current climate, i wouldnt be surprised to see them run out soon.

as for what to buy, albanians are much more rare, than the others, there are only any on the market because its one of those lucky one off things where a nation unloads a whole store of a model of gun, when you look at production numbers, there were only ever around 15k albanian SKS produced, and over 2/3 of them were destroyed.

so there are only probably less than 6000 in existance today, and most of them came into the US in recent years, thats the only reason they are available and reasonably priced. in the long run they will be rare and relatively valuable.

so from a collectors point of view, if you want to collect SKS rifles, thats an excellent place to start, if you're mostly looking for a shooter, you're better off with a yugo, plenty of parts, cheaper, and much more available in excellent condition, you can even still get them in unissued condition with consecutive serial numbers.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    well they certainly arent making any more of them, so by definition, yea, they're running out, the only question is when.

the yugos will be available for a while still, but especially in the current climate, i wouldnt be surprised to see them run out soon.

as for what to buy, albanians are much more rare, than the others, there are only any on the market because its one of those lucky one off things where a nation unloads a whole store of a model of gun, when you look at production numbers, there were only ever around 15k albanian SKS produced, and over 2/3 of them were destroyed.

so there are only probably less than 6000 in existance today, and most of them came into the US in recent years, thats the only reason they are available and reasonably priced. in the long run they will be rare and relatively valuable.

so from a collectors point of view, if you want to collect SKS rifles, thats an excellent place to start, if you're mostly looking for a shooter, you're better off with a yugo, plenty of parts, cheaper, and much more available in excellent condition, you can even still get them in unissued condition with consecutive serial numbers.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Excellent response. The only thing that I would add is that, if you are certain you want one, the sooner you order one, the better. These are going up in cost almost daily now (as is any semi-auto). For example, Southern Ohio Guns is out of Albanians and Chinese. They have Yugos at $295 now.

sunset1

Mar 23, 2012
    Since the SKS are typically 50+ year old, with an unknown history, do you ask a gunsmith to look at them prior to firing?

Thanks.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    If its numbers matching, I'd just give it a good tear down and cleaning to make sure everything looks ok. Make sure the firing pin moves freely inside the bolt. You'll likely want to remove it and clean any Cosmo out of there to make sure it doesnt stick and cause a slam fire. You won't want to lube the pin when your putting the bolt back together

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    If its numbers matching, I'd just give it a good tear down and cleaning to make sure everything looks ok. Make sure the firing pin moves freely inside the bolt. You'll likely want to remove it and clean any Cosmo out of there to make sure it doesnt stick and cause a slam fire. You won't want to lube the pin when your putting the bolt back together

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You should be able to shake it and hear the firing pin clicking freely. If you aren't comfortable taking the bolt down, blast it repeatedly (outside, away from asphalt and the wife's begonias) with spray brake cleaner from the local auto shop.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Yugo's

Samco Global has Yugo's VG for $299-349 and New condition for $399.95 with all the extra goodies. I just ordered a new one. If Feinstein gets her way these will be considered assault weapons and you won't be able to buy one anywhere.

This is all Obamas fault. It's the forth rifle I've ordered this month :D

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Are SKS's running out? Is now the time to buy? Are they going to go up in price? Should I get a yugo or albanian?

I almost put my unfired Romanian up for sale this summer that I've had for several years but I decided against it. I don't see them being imported and kind of want to see where valuations are headed. It's a good time to buy any SKS, they will go up in price soon.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I almost put my unfired Romanian up for sale this summer that I've had for several years but I decided against it. I don't see them being imported and kind of want to see where valuations are headed. It's a good time to buy any SKS, they will go up in price soon.

It's hard to find a Romanian, let alone a nice one. I have one all matching. Safe queen.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It's hard to find a Romanian, let alone a nice one. I have one all matching. Safe queen.

They were over $1K many years ago, but caches were discovered several years back. Mine was a handpick from AIM in a block of cosmoline that took awhile to remove. I think they were somewhere in the $200's when I picked mine up, still it is the most I ever spent on an SKS. Was the rifle I popped my C&R cherry on.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Shooters

I always plan to buy guns as shooters but do have a S&W M29 mountain gun in 44mag that has never been fired. I even bought a $90 Bianchi holster and a pair of custom grips from S&W Custom shop for it. Some day I will shoot that sucker....maybe :)

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I always plan to buy guns as shooters but do have a S&W M29 mountain gun in 44mag that has never been fired. I even bought a $90 Bianchi holster and a pair of custom grips from S&W Custom shop for it. Some day I will shoot that sucker....maybe :)

Sorry that was off thread got sidetracked

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Nice looking rifle but it's sold already. They are going fast folks and so is the ammo. Every place I looked this morning is sold out of 7.62x39. 5-6 week backorders are the norm

Well, I found a few places that still have some as of NOW.......:D

Right now, Graf's has 6 of these in stock:

HRN AMMO 7.62x39 123gr SST STEEL CASE 50/B 10/C
    Our Price: $33.59
    In Stock
    Item #: HRN8078

over 50 of these;

P.C.I. AMMO 7.62x39 123gr HORNADY V-MAX 20/bx
    Our Price: $15.99
    In Stock
    Item #: PC76239

over 100 of these;