• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NarlocB

Jan 23, 2013
    Frederick City is the pits, if you are on the skirts like in Ballenger or out toward 26, jefferson, etc its great.

Yea thats where I am, off Ballenger.

However so far this year.....

1. Road blocked a block from my house, swat team chased a robber into a townhome. I had to show my ID to get by to pick up my kids being held hostage in the school while the police dealt with the loser.

2. Woman murdered in the apartments over by Ballenger Creek elementary school.

3. Helicopter search at 3am a week ago.....over my house. Stationary as his high beams lit up my back yard looking for "someone".....the sky lights in my 2 bathrooms allowed the beams to light up my upstairs like it was the fourth of july inside the house.

I'm really wanting to move into the country where I could then shoot in my back yard. However thinking if I move to the country it would have to be in WV or V as my job is in Rockville, and after 15 years, really don't want to switch companies.....only beni I have now is i get to work from home a few days each week.

I really need a handgun for my house, but for now, my 30-30 and 22lr rifles will have to do.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

1. Road blocked a block from my house, swat team chased a robber into a townhome. I had to show my ID to get by to pick up my kids being held hostage in the school while the police dealt with the loser.

3. Helicopter search at 3am a week ago.....over my house. Stationary as his high beams lit up my back yard looking for "someone".....the sky lights in my 2 bathrooms allowed the beams to light up my upstairs like it was the fourth of july inside the house.

I'm really wanting to move into the country where I could then shoot in my back yard. However thinking if I move to the country it would have to be in WV or V as my job is in Rockville, and after 15 years, really don't want to switch companies.....only beni I have now is i get to work from home a few days each week.

I really need a handgun for my house, but for now, my 30-30 and 22lr rifles will have to do.

Go talk to Lou at Shooters Discount about handguns. Last I heard he had Glocks in 40S&W for 390, 430 and 440. They are all LE trade ins. As for moving to the country, look at places in Frederick County. You will find something here, or you will find something in Carroll or Washington Counties. If you do decide to go out of state, please consider WV, due to the lower income tax rate.

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick

I live in the Ballenger area also and don't forget about the armed robbery at the Rite-Aid recently. This area is def not as nice as it was 5 or 6 years ago.
    A lot of the homes in my neighborhood have gone from owner occupied to renter occupied and they are def a different type. I also work in Rockville but luckily my wife is being transferred from Frederick to Reston so we're headed to VA. I've lived in different states and different countries and Frederick is by far the worst place I've lived.

NarlocB

Jan 23, 2013
    Go talk to Lou at Shooters Discount about handguns. Last I heard he had Glocks in 40S&W for 390, 430 and 440. They are all LE trade ins. As for moving to the country, look at places in Frederick County. You will find something here, or you will find something in Carroll or Washington Counties. If you do decide to go out of state, please consider WV, due to the lower income tax rate.

Lou's shop is my priority at this point. Unfortunately short on funds since i had to replace my entire heat pump. I have about 3-$400 left for 'non' discrete purchasing. With 3 kids in every sporting event....and one about to try out for the Frederick Stars.....money is tight.

Really thinking my first hand gun should be a 9mm (based on ammo prices as i will have to train a lot to get to know proper technique).

Luckily Lou does FFL transfers. Trying to save a bit more to get a decent gun, though if another house gets robbed in my neighborhood I might break down and buy a hi-point.

NarlocB

Jan 23, 2013
    It's just sad to see how different Frederick has become vs what it once was.

Been here since 2000, and I was never concerned with my doors being locked. 13 years later, now i can't go to bed without checking every door and window downstairs to ensure they are locked.

arcticdc5

Mar 20, 2013
    I'll continue to reside in route 40 aka little Havana. Meanwhile, downtown continues to decline and route 40 will be getting a luxury Wal Mart.

arcticdc5

Mar 20, 2013
    Any bets on how long it will take that picnic table area to resemble Mullinix Park?

But there will be one difference - shades of color will be reduced down to brown :lol2:

Can't help the fact that all developers are focused on route 26. That's the "hip" place to live :sad20:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Can't help the fact that all developers are focused on route 26. That's the "hip" place to live :sad20:

A friend lives in the Dearbought subdivision and says that Rt 26 rush hour traffic between 15 & 194 is just insane. I think it's pretty nuts even when it's NOT rush hour.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Lou's shop is my priority at this point. Unfortunately short on funds since i had to replace my entire heat pump. I have about 3-$400 left for 'non' discrete purchasing. With 3 kids in every sporting event....and one about to try out for the Frederick Stars.....money is tight.

Really thinking my first hand gun should be a 9mm (based on ammo prices as i will have to train a lot to get to know proper technique).

Luckily Lou does FFL transfers. Trying to save a bit more to get a decent gun, though if another house gets robbed in my neighborhood I might break down and buy a hi-point.

Not starting a 9mm vs .40 vs 45 argument here, just stating things I see as a reloader of 9mm, 40, and 45.

Get the .40S&W. From a ballistic perspective, some of the factory HD/SD loads can/will meet/exceed the ballistics of a .45ACP, in regards to energy imparted on impact, velocity, bullet weight, etc... Also the Glock is very user friendly and easy to maintain. Once you know how to strip a Glock, you should be able to field strip it in about 30 seconds.

The Glocks Lou has in stock are LE trade ins and they all come with tritium night sights. A buddy picked up a Glock from Lou and I stripped it down to see how many rounds were put thought it. I figure that there were maybe 500 rounds put though it, but the weapon was clean and locked up tight. There is nothing wrong with LE trade in firearms, I would be concerned about LE trade in cars more than firearms. <--- Not a dig against LEO's, but those 125k miles are not easy miles with idling, rapid speeds for short times, advanced driving maneuvers, curb hopping, etc...

As for proper hand technique, do you have a pellet pistol/paintball pistol/airsoft pistol to practice with? If not, go buy an airsoft pistol at Wal-Mart, and I'll teach you how to hold and shoot a pistol in my backyard, using the airsoft pistol.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Lived in Frederick all my life seen it change in the last 50+ years, the Fredericktowne mall is a ghost town mall, Waverly Gardens Apt. is a hot spot, and the townhouses on the other side of the mall...that used to be known as the "dust bowl" dirt bikes, 4WD trucks about anything else you may want to tear up, a relative "had" his farm behind all of that.. they would vandalize his equipment, tires, hoses, etc. It has changed and they keep buying up the farm land for more houses, one thing is for sure they won't be building anything close to "Area B" they are sinking more wells all around that place. You have those moving in and bringing that mentality with them

Long Johns ...have to go to Charlestown for that..

And To Lou at Shooters Discount...found that place and it found my wallet..

Gladevalley Guns for the FNP's..

-Rock

NarlocB

Jan 23, 2013
    As for proper hand technique, do you have a pellet pistol/paintball pistol/airsoft pistol to practice with? If not, go buy an airsoft pistol at Wal-Mart, and I'll teach you how to hold and shoot a pistol in my backyard, using the airsoft pistol.

I do have an 2 airsoft spring fired pistosl, planning a co2 version soon for the boy. Using them to teach general saftey to all 3 of my kids.

I'll keep the .40 in mind, my only hesitation isn't just the amount of practice I would want to put through it (and I have no clue how to reload ammo, i'm a spender and spreader of brass). But also if its the only hand gun in the house, can the wife handle it? Guess I could always get the Glock 22lr conversion kit to train with and also use it get her used to operating the glock that way before having her fire the .40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom