• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Lets all go back to the range rules and read them twice. Make a note of all the rules that could apply to this subject. Come up with your game plan of how you can do this within the range rules. Then present your idea to the rso the day you want to try this and see if you can sell it to them.

Let me start the game plan by suggesting a tarp on the ground and a cardboard box to set your target on. The rest is up to you to sell your idea.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Member clubs have special events all the time at AGC. How bout your club sponsoring a Mellon Shoot. Open it to the other clubs too. I'll be there.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I was a member there back in the 80's. At that time you could only shoot paper targets. Nothing else. no bottles, no cans, no plastic, nothing else.

Yes that use to be the case. When a friend and I rewrote the range rules back when we had only 4 pages, we eliminated a lot of this crap that banned fun at the AGC. Since then they have added many things but are still generally ok with fun targets. We even shoot steel targets under conditions now.

As far as the Melons, so long as you clean them up. Us Machinegunners are planning on doing a Pumpkin shoot this fall.

Yes you have to have them off the ground so the rounds will still hit the impact area once they pass through the target.

Putting a tarp down would probably be the way to go.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Let me start the game plan by suggesting a tarp on the ground and a cardboard box to set your target on. The rest is up to you to sell your idea.

As far as the Melons, so long as you clean them up. Us Machinegunners are planning on doing a Pumpkin shoot this fall.

Yes you have to have them off the ground so the rounds will still hit the impact area once they pass through the target.

Putting a tarp down would probably be the way to go.

We've given you the starting point to shooting melons. Just make sure your targets follow the range rules.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You may want to talk it over with the RSSOP folks so you have their backing before bringing it before the AGC Trustees.

Just a thought!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You may want to talk it over with the RSSOP folks so you have their backing before bringing it before the AGC Trustees.

Just a thought!

I would not consider putting it before the RSSOP... They would just add another rule to their range rules booklet "dealing" it. I have a feeling you may be one of the members but my interaction with the RSSOP has not yielded good results and I will leave it at that.

No, I would not bring it before the trustees either (That said being a trustee of my non-voting club now and a past voting trustee of another club for years). What would he do, make a motion to allow him to do something that he is allowed to do....? Now maybe you are talking about my pumpkin shoot as an event... well then I would only bring it to the trustees, if I need range rules suspended for it.

There is nothing in the range rules (current or proposed) that would stop you from shooting Melons so long as you clean up behind yourself. You don't need permission from the Trustees or the RSSOP to do something allowed under current range rules. Just go do it. Have a copy of the Range rules with you and if anyone give you crap, ask them to show which range rule you are breaking! I know it gets a bit old reading the pages of range rules we have but so long as you are no breaking one, you are fine.

Yes!

I would love to witness the pumpkin shoot.

...and I will be at AGC this weekend, melons in hand.

...take that however you'd like.

I will be there with my Maxim Machine gun Sunday 1-6pm. It will be hard to miss me. Bring a Melon and a stand to shoot it on. Bring some non-reloaded 7.62x54r (corrosive is fine) and I will let you take some rounds shooting your Melon with my MG. The ROs are all good guys and if they or anyone else has an issue, I will deal with them.

I like the AGC to be a place people go to enjoy shooting, all safe shooting. So if anyone is worried about doing something like this that does not break the range rules, I will be happy to help out. I like for people to be able to come to the AGC, have fun and not get hassled. The AGC ROs and I have a great working relationship and I will be happy to be the Guinea pig.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    This why I like shooting in Virginia.
    Rules:
    Shoot anything you want; clean up. Make sure to get all the spent casings.

Thats it.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    My point about bringing it before the RSSOP was to avoid any potential issues.

I am a member of the AGC RSSOP. I do not have an issue with shooting melons as long as the mess is cleaned up (a tarp or plastic drop sheet is a good idea). I would not mind shooting up a few myself!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This why I like shooting in Virginia.
    Rules:
    Shoot anything you want; clean up. Make sure to get all the spent casings.

Thats it.

I don't mind some basic safety rules too. However this is one of the things I have fought against at the AGC. We are literally going to have a range rule booklet after this year... who reads all them? Very very few! So every time you come to the range you wind up getting hassled over some new stupid rule that really does not help anything.

Actually, the AGC does not care about spent casing!

My point about bringing it before the RSSOP was to avoid any potential issues.

I am a member of the AGC RSSOP. I do not have an issue with shooting melons as long as the mess is cleaned up (a tarp or plastic drop sheet is a good idea). I would not mind shooting up a few myself!

I don't mean to be argumentative but my point is that bringing something that is current not banned by any range rule to the RSSOP can only be bad. All that can happen is the few members that are against anything fun, can create a new rule banning it. After my latest experience with the RSSOP I would not have any future interaction with that group until new crew takes over. I am not directing that at you.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I don't mind some basic safety rules too. However this is one of the things I have fought against at the AGC. We are literally going to have a range rule booklet after this year... who reads all them? Very very few! So every time you come to the range you wind up getting hassled over some new stupid rule that really does not help anything.

Actually, the AGC does not care about spent casing!

Actually it is a small range and we use it for Family events. Everyone becomes a safety person. I am not going to hand over my loaded AK-47 to my niece w/o serious supervision. Btw, her Dad was there when I did that.

As for the brass. It is reloaded, brass is worth picking up. I spent 7.62, 9mm, and SW500. I got a box of reloaded SW500 for the brass since I am the only one that has a SW500 there. :)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Actually it is a small range and we use it for Family events. Everyone becomes a safety person. I am not going to hand over my loaded AK-47 to my niece w/o serious supervision. Btw, her Dad was there when I did that.

As for the brass. It is reloaded, brass is worth picking up. I spent 7.62, 9mm, and SW500. I got a box of reloaded SW500 for the brass since I am the only one that has a SW500 there. :)

Well sure a private range is almost always better but you can't compare that to a large range like the AGC. That range sometimes has 100s of people at it. Keeping everyone safe requires a bit more than a private range. However it still does not require a book of rules. I like few more clearly defined rules that people are more likely to actually read and so follow.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I would not consider putting it before the RSSOP... They would just add another rule to their range rules booklet "dealing" it. I have a feeling you may be one of the members but my interaction with the RSSOP has not yielded good results and I will leave it at that.

No, I would not bring it before the trustees either (That said being a trustee of my non-voting club now and a past voting trustee of another club for years). What would he do, make a motion to allow him to do something that he is allowed to do....? Now maybe you are talking about my pumpkin shoot as an event... well then I would only bring it to the trustees, if I need range rules suspended for it.

There is nothing in the range rules (current or proposed) that would stop you from shooting Melons so long as you clean up behind yourself. You don't need permission from the Trustees or the RSSOP to do something allowed under current range rules. Just go do it. Have a copy of the Range rules with you and if anyone give you crap, ask them to show which range rule you are breaking! I know it gets a bit old reading the pages of range rules we have but so long as you are no breaking one, you are fine.

I will be there with my Maxim Machine gun Sunday 1-6pm. It will be hard to miss me. Bring a Melon and a stand to shoot it on. Bring some non-reloaded 7.62x54r (corrosive is fine) and I will let you take some rounds shooting your Melon with my MG. The ROs are all good guys and if they or anyone else has an issue, I will deal with them.

I like the AGC to be a place people go to enjoy shooting, all safe shooting. So if anyone is worried about doing something like this that does not break the range rules, I will be happy to help out. I like for people to be able to come to the AGC, have fun and not get hassled. The AGC ROs and I have a great working relationship and I will be happy to be the Guinea pig.

You sir, are a stand-up guy!

I will be there, 7.62x54r in hand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You sir, are a stand-up guy!

I will be there, 7.62x54r in hand.

Don't forget your Melon and stand!

I suggest like a 6x6 piece of wood with nails sticking through it. Screw that, nail side up, on a post. That way you can stick your melon on the nails and it will stay in place for more than one hit if you are lucky! Or you can try hanging it from a post in a "net"... or... come up with another good way.

mcbruzdzinski, you are welcome to some shots too, just bring 7.62.

Moving forward, looking into the idea of a pumpkin shoot, the issue we have is how do we replace targets? MGs will shoot the target up in about 30 seconds if that. Then we have 29.5 mins to wait to replace targets. So how can you replace pumpkin targets, 50 yards away??? I am seeing a clothes line with a set of ice hooks hanging down from it... Anyone got a good idea?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am way to busy with production releases this week/weekend. This particular project has been postponed 3 times in the past 6 months. Applications folks are still diddling with the code! My stuff has been ready since January.

I would love to come out with either the Mosin or the AK for the MELON BUST FEST but alas, I need to pay the bills and show my dedication as a DBA!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Is this an open invitation?
    I don't have a watermelon, but I do have 7.63x54r ammo!;)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Is this an open invitation?
    I don't have a watermelon, but I do have 7.63x54r ammo!;)

Well... not really open invitation and I can't make promises but if you come by with some 7.62, there is a fair chance you will get to put some down range. We are talking like a box of ammo, not a belt. Just introduce yourself and let me know you talked to me on MDshooters. Either way, it will be a good time just to watch! I am expecting a MG08, MG08/15, MG34, MG42, and maybe a Browning 1919 or M60, BARs, FNDs, Brens...etc.

If you are interested in getting into FA, We have a qualification where you get to shoot a Tommy gun. Then you are welcome to shoot FA with us and we can help you get into a gun. Oh and if you own more than 6 non-cheap guns, yes you can afford it and we can show you how. Non of us are rich! Details in the sticky in the NFA forum of MDshooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom