• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Not regularly, no, but I used to shoot Ruger LC9 at 55 yards for head shots from a rest. Shot Ruger 357 at 100 and Ruger old army at 100 and the black powder shot a bit better actually. Have shot various TC single shots, 44 mag, 30-30 and 223 to determine best loads at 100 yards. With the 223 have shot ground hogs out to 275 yards. With the semi pistols would not generally shoot past 30-40 yards but know where they would hit at farther. Shot five inch groups with my 10-22 at 275 yards just to see how to get on target, was a bit of KY windage and apex of the bottom reticle was couple feet high, not sure where the crosshair was…several feet about the target.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I used to have a 12 inch steel target set at about 350 yards. It actually did not look difficult to hit using a 9mm with 5 inch barrel and open sights, but I was always surprised how far off the bullets would land outside the target. It occurred to me later that this could be due to the poor ballistics of a 115 grain 9 mm bullet at that range. In other words while I may have had 2 MOA accuracy at 50 yards, this could open up to 5 MOA at 350 yards. You might be okay at 100 yards.

Novagunner

Aug 30, 2017
    Lord Humungus says "100 yards. No Problem"

Attachments

• Lord-Humungus.jpeg
      Lord-Humungus.jpeg
      46.4 KB · Views: 45

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    A long time ago, when I was on the 4th Naval District pistol team, I won a bet by hitting an empty coke can at 100 yds, using the issued 1911 accurized by a Navy Marksmanship Unit. So, the pistol can do it; I probably could not do it today.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    A long time ago, when I was on the 4th Naval District pistol team, I won a bet by hitting an empty coke can at 100 yds, using the issued 1911 accurized by a Navy Marksmanship Unit. So, the pistol can do it; I probably could not do it today.
    Nice to have memories like that. When we were doing this last week I got lucky and got one center bull at 100yrds. Scott asked me if I wanted to keep the target but I didn't. It was a lucky shot out of ten rounds. When I was young I was good and arrogant. Now I'm old and humbled. But I still have a few memories and I still get lucky once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom