• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Why would you say something like that?

From a 75 yard zero, it takes 73 MOA correction to zero my .22LR sub-sonics at 400 yards on the average day. Provided your ammo has consistent velocity (reduces vertical stringing) and decent wind calls, a 12" plate is not hard to hit at 400. Many of my students have shot my rifle at this distance and it was a valuable tool when I had someone with a flinch that I was pointing out and trying to cure.

In order to get enough upward travel in my 1" scope, I had to shim the rear of the mount base. I set it to where it would barely go 'down' enough to get a 75 yard zero, but then had almost the entire adjustment travel to go 'up'.

Because the sub-sonics experience less air resistance than super-sonic bullets, the retained velocity and resulting energy at long distances can be surprising. One of the guys at Sniper's Hide experimented with partially-thawed frozen turkeys at extended ranges and got full penetration at 300 & 400 yards.

Many of us suffer with limitations we set for ourselves.
    Even if I made the adjustments to hit steel at 400yds. I would never know it. With a 22lr. I wouldn't hear it hit and couldn't see it hit either. At least I don't have any glass that good to see with. It's not that I put limitations on myself. The 200yd hits I am making are without a scope. When I want real accuracy I shoot my CZ457 in 17hmr and a nice 4x16 scope. Its a blast to shoot. My favorite rifle to shoot.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    *****I used to do some silhouette shooting some time back with a Contender, 10-14 inch barrel depending upon caliber and iron sights out to 200 yards. I had different caliber barrels and had decent performance with a heavy .44 mag load (240gr), and had no problems knocking over the Ram at that distance. For giggles, I brought out my S&W 586 with a 6 inch barrel and put 158gr old school .38 special loads and the holdover was kinds ridiculous but I could clank the ram - but that load just didn't have anywhere *near* the ooomph left at 200 yards to knock it over. The weird part of those .38's I was shooting was at even 100 yards, I wouldn't wanna be hit by it, but we had a couple of metal barrels and some tires, etc.. and the bullets would just dent the barrel and not even go in the tire but just leave a mark at over 100 yards. I imagine a little 2 1/2 inch barreled Detective Special at that distance would have done even worse with those loads yet I guess that's what the Police used back in the 80's and earlier..

One of the barrels I had was for .45-70 Government cartridge, and I only used it a couple of times as the recoil was insanely *brutal* to my gentle, Palmolive and Colloidial Oatmeal Aveeno hand lotion softened hands. I went from shooting that a couple of times back down to .44mag and .44mag felt *easy* after that!

If Joe Biden says a 9mm will blow your lungs out, WTF would that guy say about being shot with a .45-70 Government cartridge!???:shocked4: "It'll blow a guys Uterus out of his Testicles!!!" :lol:

View attachment 377124 View attachment 377125
    Now that is what I call a "Manly Handgun". When it BARKS everyone listens.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Now that is what I call a "Manly Handgun". When it BARKS everyone listens.

*****I hate to say this, being a manly man with 12 inch arms - that others with less arm-ocity (totally should be a word!) want to be like, and who never misses leg day at the gym - I was pretty scared of the recoil on that gun. That .45-70 Government cartridge in that Thompson scared the heck out of me and was loud as shit as the barrel was vented, etc.. 405 grains of lead coming out of a pistol with that much powder behind it was no joke. Omg, even with foam ear plugs and my MSA Sordin electronic muffs it was *loud*.

Much like most women have said to me (in my dreams): "That's just too much gun for me". Glad some dude bought that barrel off of me and I could get back to shooting normal Magnum pistol loads.

I've shot .500 S&W out of pretty big guns, and that .45-70 was a LOT worse with those wood grips on that Contender.

Just crazy

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    *****I hate to say this, being a manly man with 12 inch arms - that others with less arm-ocity (totally should be a word!) want to be like, and who never misses leg day at the gym - I was pretty scared of the recoil on that gun. That .45-70 Government cartridge in that Thompson scared the heck out of me and was loud as shit as the barrel was vented, etc.. 405 grains of lead coming out of a pistol with that much powder behind it was no joke. Omg, even with foam ear plugs and my MSA Sordin electronic muffs it was *loud*.

Much like most women have said to me (in my dreams): "That's just too much gun for me". Glad some dude bought that barrel off of me and I could get back to shooting normal Magnum pistol loads.

I've shot .500 S&W out of pretty big guns, and that .45-70 was a LOT worse with those wood grips on that Contender.

Just crazy

I fired a 45-70 contender when someone at the range asked if I wanted to (I almost never say no to trying a gun). It was fun for the 2 shots I took. Definitely wouldn’t want to be shooting it all day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    and that .45-70 was a LOT worse with those wood grips on that Contender.

Just crazy

That's a big part of the problem right there . With Pachymers it's only " typical big bore magnum " level . But still loud .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used to shoot a Armaloy 10” 30-30 Contender I had years back at 100 yards. I shot mostly off the bench. With 110 grain bullet @ 1950 fps hand loads it would shoot into 1 1/8” - 1 1/4” all day long. With heavier bullets it would have probably shot tighter groups…it is a Contender.

My present blue 10” TCU barrel is sub 1” at 100 yards. It loves Nosler and Hornady 120 grain spitzers. Me…not so much sub 1”.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    Without getting into the merits of 100 yard accurscy, youtuber honest outlaw dors it with every pistol he reviews regardless of caliber, barrel length or mechanics.

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    Years ago, my ex father-in-law and I decided to do some shooting. He has a very long incline in his back yard in the country. Not too steep but long. Standing about 80 yards away I watching him walk an empty gallon paint can another 100 yards up that hill with a .44 magnum, one handed, with one reload, and he sure didn’t take his time aiming. Granted, that ba$tard was built like a short gorilla. Lol

People who don’t get creative when shooting get bored or just stuck in that 25’ silhouette rut. Be safe, but try different stuff. It’s fun and challenging.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Elmer Keith shakes his head in puzzlement (with my apologies for copying the great Eruby) and wants to know why 100 yards is so hard

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Assuming we're talking reliable first round hits on something reasonable (12 inch steel, etc.), 100yds with a 9mm pistol is doable, but you're going to have to work at it. I've done 75yds without a lot of drama using a red dot, but 100 starts requiring holdovers that can be difficult to eyeball.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Me results @ 50 yards with my 1847 Walker. That sucker sure likes eating the target frame.

I think I should just switch to grapeshot and a cannon sometimes.

1661130347733.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom