Senator Kennedy Introduces Bill To Expand Concealed-carry Rights For Qualified Police Officers

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    In short, Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) introduced the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) Reform Act, which would expand the concealed-carry rights of qualified law enforcement officers. (before you grip and start cop bashing, this bill could allow the camel nose into the tent so to speak). This would help make Americans safer by expanding concealed-carry rights for off-duty and retired cops in public places. The Act builds on the original LEOSA of 2004, which gives qualified officers—whether active, retired or no longer working in law enforcement—the right to carry concealed firearms in any U.S. state or territory, with the requirement to obey state or local laws.
    The LEOSA Reform Act would expand the original bill by allowing qualified officers to carry their concealed firearms in the following locations:
    • State, local and private property otherwise open to the public,
    • National parks, and
    • Certain federal public access facilities and
    • School zones.
    The bill would also allow qualified officers to carry magazines that are not prohibited by federal law and to carry their concealed firearms in gun-free school zones. It would alleviate other undue burdens on concealed-carry rights. If this passes, I believe it will help make it easier to carry allow all to carry if they desire and have at least the basics of firearm and proper use of force training. Sens. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) and Rick Scott (R-Fla.) have co-sponsored the LEOSA Reform Act. Original Article maybe found here.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m fine with carry in all those places…

Though I’ve never seen carve-outs translate into opening doors for citizens.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I could see one day a National Concealed Carry license. Carve-outs will never directly translate into opening doors for citizens, but it can help if done correctly, in my opinion.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The proposed federal law still doesn't change pre-existing state laws.

IIRC, carry permit holders already have access to 3 of of 4 in the OP's list, with federal buildings being the outlier.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I’m fine with carry in all those places…

Though I’ve never seen carve-outs translate into opening doors for citizens.

I could see one day a National Concealed Carry license. Carve-outs will never directly translate into opening doors for citizens, but it can help if done correctly, in my opinion.
    I'm sick of the 'carve-outs' of all types. If it's fair for the goose, it's fair for the gander. If EVERYONE had to abide by every letter of these stupid laws, I'd bet there would be a LOT more resistance to passing them.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I'm sick of the 'carve-outs' of all types. If it's fair for the goose, it's fair for the gander. If EVERYONE had to abide by every letter of these stupid laws, I'd bet there would be a LOT more resistance to passing them.
    Ball has got to start rolling somewhere.

rmdashrf

Dec 8, 2012
    Carroll
    I also do not agree with this bill. Giving a certain small group of people special rights over others defies equality. Doubly so when that group of people are part of the the organization the Bill of Rights sought to protect against. Triply so when that group is the tip of the spear for infringing on citizens rights.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    It has

What is the last count of constitutional carry states? 27 or 28?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This will take SCOTUS action.
    I agree with you. But the LEOSA Act think helps provides some grounds to allow all citizen to be treated in the same manner. I'm now more enthusiastic about obtaining a LEOSA License for myself. It is quite the hassle and expense.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm as big a supporter of the police as you will find, but I'm tossing my hat in the "I'm done with carve outs" camp. I'm sick of the "but some animals are more equal than others" attitude. A LEO's life and his family is worth no less, or no more than my own. The constitution protects us all the same.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I agree with you. But the LEOSA Act think helps provides some grounds to allow all citizen to be treated in the same manner. I'm now more enthusiastic about obtaining a LEOSA License for myself. It is quite the hassle and expense.
    It really doesn’t. Did LEOSA help any civilians before Bruen?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Honestly didn't know that LEOSA didn't cover those areas already...
    That is correct. LEOSA Act when passed was the closest thing to being a national concealed carry license. You still have to comply with the laws of the state, county, and city when you carry. The second act expanded who qualified for that license.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I'm as big a supporter of the police as you will find, but I'm tossing my hat in the "I'm done with carve outs" camp. I'm sick of the "but some animals are more equal than others" attitude. A LEO's life and his family is worth no less, or no more than my own. The constitution protects us all the same.
    I agree, but to me anything which weakens the anti-gunner argument is a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom