• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not surprisingly, in the eyes of the Scum; the state is being perfectly reasonable, O'Moron and Froth's legislation is designed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the "dangerously insane" :rolleyes:, and gun owners who complain about it are compared to unreasonable whiners who will next sue over not having "customer service representatives available on weekends to answer their questions."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-background-checks-20130610,0,2823824.story

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I want to rant. Can I please rant?

They are acting like this is no big deal.

They are boning us and we can't even get a reach around out them.

Those in the current Maryland Government are the ones that are "Dangerously Insane".

That felt GOOOOOOOOOD!!!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    what a bunch of bs

what the msp were given 7 days to do is taking 70?????who gave that to them to do?? the state implementen that ********. a nics check takes 5 minutes.

the worst part is that most marylanders are so stupid they believe what they read in the paper or see on the local news.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    They might have an argument if 45+/- states weren't able to provide instant background checks at the time of purchase.

If you look at MD as being a sovereign nation, with it's own rule of law, then yes, they are absolutely in the right.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I really don't know where to begin. How about the fact you can drive about a hour in any direction, buy a regulated weapon, and walk out with it. Instant NICS checks. And last time I checked, they're allowed to CCW.

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD
    They painted what is perhaps the clearest picture of the real agenda behind SB281. On one hand, they note that most of the gun sales are to people who already have them. That eliminates the legions of criminals who desire to commit a crime with a gun but do not want to run afoul of the MSP and their background check requirements. It does not answer the question: if this is about safety then why did the liberals in Annapolis vote down every attempt at eliminating good time credits or other diminution for those convicted of crimes involving gun violence? The answer is that SB281 isn't really designed with safety in mind, its the slow and steady erosion of gun rights from the left. It is about getting people used to more and more onerous regulation -- you cannot swallow the elephant whole but a few bites at a time will achieve the same result albeit at a slower pace.

If we really wanted to reduce crime in Baltimore City, then how about keeping criminals behind bars. I read a recent statistic that 45% of the crimes in the City were perpetrated by criminals who had previous convictions for gun violence and were out having served less than their full sentence. Whose interest is being served?

This is a woefully dangerous precedent to allow the MSP to effectively enforce a de facto ban on handgun purchases - whether temporary or not. We elect legislators to do that, the MSP is not accountable to the voter. It is easy for the liberals to look away and scoff on this issue - but it is very short-sighted. If this were an issue of due process, 4th amendment, or privacy the howls from the left would be deafening. Once this djinni is fully empowered we may never get it back into the bottle. It is too easy to look away when its happening to someone else, but when that issue starts to hit cloer to home, there may be noone left to express outrage.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    They painted what is perhaps the clearest picture of the real agenda behind SB281. On one hand, they note that most of the gun sales are to people who already have them. That eliminates the legions of criminals who desire to commit a crime with a gun but do not want to run afoul of the MSP and their background check requirements. It does not answer the question: if this is about safety then why did the liberals in Annapolis vote down every attempt at eliminating good time credits or other diminution for those convicted of crimes involving gun violence? The answer is that SB281 isn't really designed with safety in mind, its the slow and steady erosion of gun rights from the left. It is about getting people used to more and more onerous regulation -- you cannot swallow the elephant whole but a few bites at a time will achieve the same result albeit at a slower pace.

If we really wanted to reduce crime in Baltimore City, then how about keeping criminals behind bars. I read a recent statistic that 45% of the crimes in the City were perpetrated by criminals who had previous convictions for gun violence and were out having served less than their full sentence. Whose interest is being served?

This is a woefully dangerous precedent to allow the MSP to effectively enforce a de facto ban on handgun purchases - whether temporary or not. We elect legislators to do that, the MSP is not accountable to the voter. It is easy for the liberals to look away and scoff on this issue - but it is very short-sighted. If this were an issue of due process, 4th amendment, or privacy the howls from the left would be deafening. Once this djinni is fully empowered we may never get it back into the bottle. It is too easy to look away when its happening to someone else, but when that issue starts to hit cloer to home, there may be noone left to express outrage.

Completely agree.

The article cites some fairly incongruent analogies. MVA, goods, iphones (really???) backlogs... My goodness. There is no product being delivered, just a nod. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the right to keep and bear Elmo as being in the Constitution...

Did you also notice the discussion of funding. Interesting that the budget is funded to $4.6 million, but they really only allocate $400 thousand. The remainder is to paid by the applicants. That's 84,000 handgun applicants (4.2M/50).

And that they expect it to get better next year, when they put this in to effect this year and were well on their way to the 90 day wait times when it passed. Think about it, the bill passed on 4/4. People who purchased firearms on that day still don't have their purchases NOT DISAPPROVED by the State of MD.

I also love the twists and turns the article takes to contort and trivialize the 2nd amendment RIGHTS of the citizens. It's just fingerprinting, fees and (an additional) background check after all... And if we are making analogies, you don't need to do 2/3 of that to drive, which is a PRIViLEGE. And NONE of that to vote!

The thing that still gets me is how they feign surprise at the sales numbers after all they did down in the Annapolaxis of Evil to bring it on themselves. They have had 6 months to straighten this out. What did they expect, to pass a law of this magnitude and impact and sales to remain flat???

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    Magnum Farce presents a well thought and cogent report of what is probably the essence behind the delays, a defacto ban without legislation or the rights and will of the people being taken into consideration. This is all staged managed so O'Malley can use it as an election prop when he runs for president.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Perhaps someone should point out those purveyors of the news that the current and future red tape that the state uses to perform background checks is just a waste of taxpayer funds and the MSP's resources. If the state would just comply with the federal background check and send them the needed information the state would only need a very small staff of clerks to handle the paperwork. Then the FFL could do the check themselves in less than 5 minutes and if the state wants could hold the release for 7 days. That way the troopers time would not be wasted, and they could do actual police work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom