• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    do it yourself I say
    http://survivaltopics.com/boresighting-a-rifle/

The thing that trips people up and I see it all the time.
    when bore sighting and you have the bore on target, you adjust like this
    If cross hairs are above the target, you adjust UP not DOWN.
    If cross hairs are right of target, you adjust RIGHT not LEFT.
    Its the opposite as when your shooting to move the groups.
    I have seen many people say, hey, the cross hairs are high, then move down and keep moving down till they get to the end of the adjustment, then say its a mounting problem.
    Nope, they went the wrong way!

Use blue loctite on the screws too.

Good luck.
    :thumbsup:
    First time I ever bore sighted a rifle, I did just that and was wondering "WTH" lol

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    How far are you from cresap? I'm near Myersville and can take a look for you? I've got a bore sighter, torque wrench and levels.

Just a thought

Also, if your going to purchase a new base, please purchase a one piece base vs the 2 piece that's on it.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    How far are you from cresap? I'm near Myersville and can take a look for you? I've got a bore sighter, torque wrench and levels.

Just a thought

Also, if your going to purchase a new base, please purchase a one piece base vs the 2 piece that's on it.

15 minutes and a one piece like the dnz game reaper

Last edited:

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012

Just a thought

Would love for you to take a look at my rifle for me whenever you are available

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I mounted a flash suppressor on a rifle and need to re zero, was thinking Wednesday during the day? I'm a member at a local range, we could mount everything up and shoot a few to verify your zero?

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    I mounted a flash suppressor on a rifle and need to re zero, was thinking Wednesday during the day? I'm a member at a local range, we could mount everything up and shoot a few to verify your zero?

If I get off work early enough Wednesday that can work but if not what other days are you available.

Thanks for all the advise. Besides me not shooting for crap i enjoyed the range time. I don't see how people say the 270 is not enjoyable to shoot.
    Forgot to tell my girlfriend's father that it has a bit of recoil and to be observant of eye relief....he got bit, so I don't think he found it enjoyable. I died laughing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Forgot to tell my girlfriend's father that it has a bit of recoil and to be observant of eye relief....he got bit, so I don't think he found it enjoyable. I died laughing

Lucky for me the eye relief was very generous and I shot with a thin jacket and t-shirt on i could've shot several boxes of ammo without issue

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If I get off work early enough Wednesday that can work but if not what other days are you available.

Do you plan to hunt Saturday with it? Rifle season coming up, so my spare time will likely be sitting in the woods.

Pretty sure we can get you on paper quickly, but if you just want to remount it, I can do that after dark

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Do you plan to hunt Saturday with it? Rifle season coming up, so my spare time will likely be sitting in the woods.

Pretty sure we can get you on paper quickly, but if you just want to remount it, I can do that after dark

I'm no where good enough to be trying to hunt yet unless you mind me tagging along for the experience and i dont mind bringing it to you to have you look at it. I need a lot of practice i know that.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    The first thing I do with any rifle I buy with premounted bases is to remove everything, clean and reassemble. That way I know how it was mounted. Also, while the bases are off, if you have a long straight edge, see if the screw holes are concentric with the bore.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    The first thing I do with any rifle I buy with premounted bases is to remove everything, clean and reassemble. That way I know how it was mounted. Also, while the bases are off, if you have a long straight edge, see if the screw holes are concentric with the bore.

I'm learning i just appreciate all the advise and patience.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Well you definitely chose a nice caliber for your first. My first deer was gotten with a Winchester model 70 in .270

I was a little worried because i've read and heard the 270 was sharp and unpleasant. sharp yes unpleasant no and i went all in with 130g loadsi could've shot until i got bored

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012

do you mind if i pm you?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I'm learning i just appreciate all the advise and patience.

You will find a wealth of information herein. You will also learn there are multiple ways to do things as everyone has their preferred way. Try a few and learn what works best for you. Are you anywhere near White Marsh?

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    You will find a wealth of information herein. You will also learn there are multiple ways to do things as everyone has their preferred way. Try a few and learn what works best for you. Are you anywhere near White Marsh?

I live in Frederick

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom