• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Just be sure to skip shopping Amica
    Good to know!!! Just to complete the thread jack. Here is the aftermath of a 2015 Ram going head on into a 2012 Altima.

Attachments

• Ram 3.jpg
      Ram 3.jpg
      625.1 KB · Views: 34
    Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm pissed. But, it could have been way worse.
    Can't blame you for being upset. Hopefully you didn't tool the idiot up on video.

Relevant to OP, I just had a guy shooting a POF piston 308. It handled 175smk and 185 berger right at MOA. For a 16in rifle, it was pretty solid. I'm advising him to get a boltgun for the future but this rifle he has will get him started. We had him pushing out to 600 or so on 10in plates. My previous experience with POF small frame.rifles has also been positive.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Can't blame you for being upset. Hopefully you didn't tool the idiot up on video.

Relevant to OP, I just had a guy shooting a POF piston 308. It handled 175smk and 185 berger right at MOA. For a 16in rifle, it was pretty solid. I'm advising him to get a boltgun for the future but this rifle he has will get him started. We had him pushing out to 600 or so on 10in plates. My previous experience with POF small frame.rifles has also been positive.
    A guy I know had a POF he started long range shooting with and he was dinging steel at 500yds with little problems. He eventually went with a bolt rifle too. He offered the POF up to me at a steal of a price and I declined. Not many places where I am at to reach out to those distances. We had a falling out and I don't know if he ever sold it.

The PWS is still lingering in my head. But, I have .308 gas guns I don't have enough time to shoot.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A guy I know had a POF he started long range shooting with and he was dinging steel at 500yds with little problems. He eventually went with a bolt rifle too. He offered the POF up to me at a steal of a price and I declined. Not many places where I am at to reach out to those distances. We had a falling out and I don't know if he ever sold it.

The PWS is still lingering in my head. But, I have .308 gas guns I don't have enough time to shoot.
    The PWS and POF piston guns are great systems. I'm just a boltgun snob. My next gasgun will be a short frame from either POF or PWS but in 5.56.

I need to thin out my safe first, though. Lack of space issues.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I bought a bushmaster ar 10 in 308 few years back in 2013 when you never knew what was going to be banned next. Weird I bought a lot of toys I never considered owning till MD said they might ban them

Free floated heavy barrel. Very accurate rifle out to 2-300 yards I have access to shoot at.

had to add an adjustable gas block to slow it down and get it to cycle reliably. (Wanted to load new round before extracting spent round on last 2 rounds in mag)
    Since then no problems.

The hard plastic stock is punishing recoil wise.
    I added a rubber butt pad that makes it more recoil friendly
    another have to have but don’t need or use rifle lol

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I bought a bushmaster ar 10 in 308 few years back in 2013 when you never knew what was going to be banned next. Weird I bought a lot of toys I never considered owning till MD said they might ban them

Free floated heavy barrel. Very accurate rifle out to 2-300 yards I have access to shoot at.

had to add an adjustable gas block to slow it down and get it to cycle reliably. (Wanted to load new round before extracting spent round on last 2 rounds in mag)
    Since then no problems.

The hard plastic stock is punishing recoil wise.
    I added a rubber butt pad that makes it more recoil friendly
    another have to have but don’t need or use rifle lol
    Does it have a good brake. A few years ago I shot a couple different brands/boxes through a 6.5 cm when it was bone stock. Realized real quick why I put a brake or can on all my rifles. I could shoot that gun all day now.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’ll be posting a BNIB Larue 308 in the next few days. Absolute brand new stored in safe, $2k of the best optics, downsizing again..

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Everyone I know loves their M&P10. I like my Ruger AR556, and love all my Ruger rifles and hanguns. I don’t have an SFAR but I own multiple AR10 rifles, including a Savage MSR10 which is pretty nice.

The problem with the Savage is it’s not standard AR10 pattern compatible with anything, it’s very proprietary. There’s things I’d like to upgrade, but can’t because there’s no aftermarket support. This is what I’ve read about the SFAR, but have no real world experience with so I can’t verify it, but it is worth keeping in mind when deciding.

I have zero experience with the PSA, but others here on MDS have recently questioned the QC of PSA as a whole, so take that for what it’s worth.
    I like my M&P 10 a lot. Got it from Duffy's for a steal. It is a little gassy, launching cases about 1/4 mile, but so far been reliable, and I guess accurate enough, considering my eyes suck. I bought a bunch of different ammo I need to test to see which shoots best out of it, they buy a bunch of that.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I like my M&P 10 a lot. Got it from Duffy's for a steal. It is a little gassy, launching cases about 1/4 mile, but so far been reliable, and I guess accurate enough, considering my eyes suck. I bought a bunch of different ammo I need to test to see which shoots best out of it, they buy a bunch of that.
    We just need to get you into reloading, man.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    For me I have two LR308’s. Both with 20” BHW semi-bull barrels . They are both very accurate , aero precision m5 uppers with Aero 15” Mlok hand guards, Magpul Moe Rifle stocks . Both weigh in at just under 11 lbs before scopes or magazines. The barrels are 3.7 lbs

After going through this discussion, I started thinking quite a bit about having a lighter run and gun 308. So, just as with my 223 AR15’s, one is a pre ban 16” govt profile and one is a 20” Bull. So you sort of have one for run and gun, one for long range precision shooting.

So I have been researching barrel and stock combinations for this theoretical rifle for the last week and a half. Today was D Day. I thought a lot about getting a 16” pencil, but bottom line is any extended strings of fire and that girl will get warm real quick. I appeared 16” pencils weigh about 1.8 pounds. Faxon makes a modified medium contour Gunner profile that weighs 1.91 lbs . The gunner would allow you to have longer strings of fire maintain accuracy.

They also made a Match grade 16” heavy fluted barrel that weighs 2.01 lbs . The fluting is an aggressive deep flute that run down almost the entire barrel. Seemed like the best compromise. Read a lot of reviews. Very positive and great accuracy out of the Match heavy barrels. So I got a it for $249 at optics planet. That’s the barrel.

Next what to replace the existing stock and buffer ( A2 rifle buffer and Moe Rifle stock) with a carbine tbd and buffer. Went through a gazillion different carbine length stocks and I decided on a Magpul UBR Gen 2 stock. Ordered that, a mid length gas tube, spring and a heavy 2.5” buffer from Optics planet as well.

The barrel has the same gas block journal of .750 so I’ll pull the Odin works adjustable gas block from it . And it will be done. Haven’t decided if I’ll sale the 20” BHW barrel, it’s accurate as all get out . 175 run at about 2,725 gos out of it on top of 46 gr or so of RL17.

My guess is without optics or mags the rifle will run in the 8 1/2 to 9 lbs range. So I’m losing 2 to 2 1/2 lbs less and a lot more compact. Therefore felt recoil will increase significantly. Any ideas on what brake I should put on it?

I could have saved another pond going to a pencil and a minimalistic stock. But as I said earlier at 6’5” 270 lbs the 16” AR15 feels like a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For me I have two LR308’s. Both with 20” BHW semi-bull barrels . They are both very accurate , aero precision m5 uppers with Aero 15” Mlok hand guards, Magpul Moe Rifle stocks . Both weigh in at just under 11 lbs before scopes or magazines. The barrels are 3.7 lbs

After going through this discussion, I started thinking quite a bit about having a lighter run and gun 308. So, just as with my 223 AR15’s, one is a pre ban 16” govt profile and one is a 20” Bull. So you sort of have one for run and gun, one for long range precision shooting.

So I have been researching barrel and stock combinations for this theoretical rifle for the last week and a half. Today was D Day. I thought a lot about getting a 16” pencil, but bottom line is any extended strings of fire and that girl will get warm real quick. I appeared 16” pencils weigh about 1.8 pounds. Faxon makes a modified medium contour Gunner profile that weighs 1.91 lbs . The gunner would allow you to have longer strings of fire maintain accuracy.

They also made a Match grade 16” heavy fluted barrel that weighs 2.01 lbs . The fluting is an aggressive deep flute that run down almost the entire barrel. Seemed like the best compromise. Read a lot of reviews. Very positive and great accuracy out of the Match heavy barrels. So I got a it for $249 at optics planet. That’s the barrel.

Next what to replace the existing stock and buffer ( A2 rifle buffer and Moe Rifle stock) with a carbine tbd and buffer. Went through a gazillion different carbine length stocks and I decided on a Magpul UBR Gen 2 stock. Ordered that, a mid length gas tube, spring and a heavy 2.5” buffer from Optics planet as well.

The barrel has the same gas block journal of .750 so I’ll pull the Odin works adjustable gas block from it . And it will be done. Haven’t decided if I’ll sale the 20” BHW barrel, it’s accurate as all get out . 175 run at about 2,725 gos out of it on top of 46 gr or so of RL17.

My guess is without optics or mags the rifle will run in the 8 1/2 to 9 lbs range. So I’m losing 2 to 2 1/2 lbs less and a lot more compact. Therefore felt recoil will increase significantly. Any ideas on what brake I should put on it?

I could have saved another pond going to a pencil and a minimalistic stock. But as I said earlier at 6’5” 270 lbs the 16” AR15 feels like a toy.

The UBR is a decently weighted stock. I think you'll come in a bit heavier than you think.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    The UBR is a decently weighted stock. I think you'll come in a bit heavier than you think.

When it’s complete I’ll weigh it and let you all know. Yes , there are a lot of factors at play , my buffer in the Carbine is 4.4 oz lighter than the rifle buffer . We shall see.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Got everything in except the buffer stripped no optics or angled fire grip , and no magazine 8 lbs 7 oz. With the angled fore grip, Vortex 1-6 LPVO and a back up 45 offset Feyachi 3 moa microdot, 10 lbs 10
    once’s

I weighed the other AR 308 rifle with the 20 BHW barrel,Magpul Moe rifle stock and an Osprey 6-24 x 50 , 13 lbs 5 oz. No mag

It feel much more nimble and manageable for me , it’s not the 16” AR15, which feels like a toy and with an ACOG 4x32 and a back up Vortex Venom red dot comes in at 8 lbs 5 1/2 oz, but then again AR15 does not have close to the take down of the 308.

Base upon my 20” and from what I have read a I’m going to loose 70 fps +/-. So I should get 2700 or so out of a 168 gr Berger hybrid. That make me transonic at sea level at 1025 yards, and supersonic to 1,125 yds

I like pushing heavy’s. So a 210 Nosler RDF I can push to about 2,485 out of the 16”. There is a lot more recoil but at sea level transonic at 1,195 yds and supersonic to 1,325 yds.

Instead of getting a Heavy 10 oz A5 buffer with a rifle spring, I decided to go with an ARMASPEC SRS Buffer for carbine , so 3/4” spacer went in the tube which is equivalent to a 7 oz buffer . If it does not mitigate the recoil enough I’ll go with a heavy buffers, A5 10 oz buffer.

Let you know how it shoots

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom