• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Compass lake engineering now offers sr25 pattern complete 308 uppers . Your choice of Douglass, kreiger, or Bartlein barells. $1300-1600 depending on barrel and handguard options. I have a kreiger barelled 223 wylde they built for me and it's and absolute tackdriver. If I wanted a precision large frame ar10 that's who I'd go with.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Ok , I'll jump in with a related but different inquiry about a back burner project .

Buy the lower , complete is fine , stripped if I have to .

Build first as a Pistol . * Just because , and because I want to * .

Then subsequently add rifle upper(s) .

I'm not as big as DavidA , but standard weight is ok . It would be nice if it is a tackdriver ( in rifle) format , but not looking for $$ gucci match parts , and average accuracy would be acceptable .

So what's a good starting point ?
    Usually the biggest improvement to a base model is barrel and trigger. That statement can hold true in many rifles below and above the 1k mark. If you buy a complete lower with a brace or with a stock you are still free to build what ever you want then change it as your needs change. I have one sub 1k 308 that I added a trigger and brake to and it’s great. I had another sub 1k 308 that I changed the bolt, barrel,trigger and handguard to build my light weight 6.5 cm and it too is great and total spent is sub 1.5k. So a great starting point might be a new upper and lower in the classified for $650. JMHO

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Ok , I'll jump in with a related but different inquiry about a back burner project .

Buy the lower , complete is fine , stripped if I have to .

Build first as a Pistol . * Just because , and because I want to * .

Then subsequently add rifle upper(s) .

I'm not as big as DavidA , but standard weight is ok . It would be nice if it is a tackdriver ( in rifle) format , but not looking for $$ gucci match parts , and average accuracy would be acceptable .

So what's a good starting point ?

For me I used an Aero Precision M5 lower with an m5 upper. (M5-E upper for rifle build) , from there I would do an ALG defense ACT trigger. Good crisp cost effective duty trigger. Never built anything except rifle so I can comment on Pistol related stuff. But for rifle either do a Black Hole Weaponry or Shaw Precision 1-10 twist in the length you desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes to Jump you game if accuracy is the game go to a LaRue MBT-2S. Trigger. They are excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I almost bought a M&P 10 for a .308 but my preference for wood won out...

Browning BAR DBM.
    Handful of 10 and 20 round mags
    Vortex LPVO

Vortex on BAR - Nov 2020.jpg

BAR DBM.jpg

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    For anyone interested, Green Top sporting goods has a PWS .308 on the used rack for around $1500.

I don't know if that's a good price or not? It seemed to be in excellent condition.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hey Guys,

I want to get one of these before things get crazy again Over the next year. I’m mainly looking for reliability. I was looking at the M&P10, Ruger SFAR, and PSA PA10. Any opinions on these?

K
    Everyone I know loves their M&P10. I like my Ruger AR556, and love all my Ruger rifles and hanguns. I don’t have an SFAR but I own multiple AR10 rifles, including a Savage MSR10 which is pretty nice.

The problem with the Savage is it’s not standard AR10 pattern compatible with anything, it’s very proprietary. There’s things I’d like to upgrade, but can’t because there’s no aftermarket support. This is what I’ve read about the SFAR, but have no real world experience with so I can’t verify it, but it is worth keeping in mind when deciding.

I have zero experience with the PSA, but others here on MDS have recently questioned the QC of PSA as a whole, so take that for what it’s worth.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If it's in top condition, you should probably go back and get it.
    If it wasn't for the cirumstances of the last week or so, I would have taken it today.

A good friend of mine passed away and he had a pretty extensive collection. Some of which are some 1911's I built and sold to him. I would like to re-acquire them when the dust settles.

Two days after that, some dumbass decided to turn right in front of me and I hit them head on and totalled my truck. Only good thing I can say about that is I walked away from it with some soreness. Everyone who saw the pictures couldn't believe it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If it wasn't for the cirumstances of the last week or so, I would have taken it today.

A good friend of mine passed away and he had a pretty extensive collection. Some of which are some 1911's I built and sold to him. I would like to re-acquire them when the dust settles.

Two days after that, some dumbass decided to turn right in front of me and I hit them head on and totalled my truck. Only good thing I can say about that is I walked away from it with some soreness. Everyone who saw the pictures couldn't believe it.
    Ouch. Glad you are OK. The truck can be replaced.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Ouch. Glad you are OK. The truck can be replaced.
    I wish it was my Expedition that got totalled. They are a dime a dozen. The Ram 1500 Diesels are getting harder to find. I would probably get more for the Expedition too. That Ram was a 2015. I'll probably get hosed on the payout.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I wish it was my Expedition that got totalled. They are a dime a dozen. The Ram 1500 Diesels are getting harder to find. I would probably get more for the Expedition too. That Ram was a 2015. I'll probably get hosed on the payout.
    Darn. Yeah, you are gonna get boned by insurance. I'm sorry. I just spent a multi month ordeal dealing with mine on a repair. In hindsight, I should have just demanded they total the vehicle and severed my relationship with them. What a mess. Hopefully you have an easier time.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Darn. Yeah, you are gonna get boned by insurance. I'm sorry. I just spent a multi month ordeal dealing with mine on a repair. In hindsight, I should have just demanded they total the vehicle and severed my relationship with them. What a mess. Hopefully you have an easier time.
    So far USAA hasn't impressed me. Hopefully they correct that or I'll be shopping around after being with them for 20+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom