• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey Guys,

I want to get one of these before things get crazy again Over the next year. I’m mainly looking for reliability. I was looking at the M&P10, Ruger SFAR, and PSA PA10. Any opinions on these?

K

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Shot a couple M&P10s. Like most of the entry market, they tend to be overgassed and need some break in.

No experience with SFAR or PA10. rugers old sr762 was a tank. A heavy ass, piston driven, very reliable tank.

If I buy a large frame AR pattern weapon again I will be doing a PWS or POF. The PWS my buddy runs is unstoppable. He's a lazy SOB, never cleans it, lubes it when he remembers to, and never removes the suppressor. It slings 175SMKs like a boss. A group I know issues 14.5in POF 308s and they are similarly reliable. They are heavy but if that doesn't bother you, rock on.

I briefly owned a KAC SR25 and boy was that a huge steaming pile of disappointment. I'll never buy another KAC product after that.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Hey Guys,

I want to get one of these before things get crazy again Over the next year. I’m mainly looking for reliability. I was looking at the M&P10, Ruger SFAR, and PSA PA10. Any opinions on these?

K
    POF.

Here is good video on it

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    POF.

Here is good video on it

I'd opt for the PD instead of the DI. I've had one of (and used many, including post samples) the small frame POF piston guns. They run. And they don't shit the bed when you hammer the crap out of them, mag dump after mag dump. Less annoying to clean too.

The revolution pd isn't cheap. The PWS mk 216 will come in at 2/3 the price and from what I've seen if the pws small frames plus my buddy's 216, they will take a beating.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just my 2 cents here, I am a big believer in building. Why because you pick components you want that fit whatever the Philosophy of use is. You want it ultra light weight, buy accordingly. You want a longer range gun with heavier barrel for more long range build it.

I would just use a DPMS pattern receiver and go from there. Buy good quality components and an adjustable gas block is a must. You can go all over you tube and get reviews of components and then ask members here. Everyone is more than willing to give their input and experience.

They really are easy to build with a few tools. In the end you get exactly what you want. I think I have built 7 AR’s not disappointed in any of them. I was zeroing one of my builds on its first run at the range. Set target at 50 yds. Shot first round at target and just adjusted poi by offsetting scope , the next four shots pigeon holed the center of the target. That was time m80 ball ammo.

I get it, it’s a great marketing concept. Ruger and POF solutions are trying to make the AR10 with the smallest profile and weight. But in reality how much smaller and weight is the receiver and BCG? So maybe you save a pound and 3/4 “. Understand you are getting the lightest weight hand guard and I believe a light to medium contour barrel.

In addition understand that the brake they are putting on these rifles are monstrous and the sound is deafening. I like a brake but medium effect. Something to take the edge of it.

To much proprietary components in both the SFAR and the Revolution. That means a lot of Gremlins. The Revolution is way too pricey. For whatever I can save. For reliability and ease of use I’ll hall the 1.5 lbs more of what I can build a medium contour LR308 for.

For some this is what it’s all about. For me not so much. I guess I have to be honest , I am rather large at 6’5” 270 lbs so you can see why it is not the deal breaker for me. I have 16” AR15 with a light weight barrel and it feels like a toy.

Anyway, there you go. My 2 cents . Take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    For reasons I will explain below, I am not an expert in AR10's so I am definitely not able to "school" you on the intricacies of AR10's. I have two AR10's that I bought many years ago when I mistakenly thought that they would be included in the banned list that came into force after 2013. But I am not a big guy and I find AR10's too heavy for me and the recoil is more than I like. For that reason, I prefer AR15's and have several of them that I shoot regularly even with 5.56 ammo. I know that you can build a lighter AR10 than you can purchase commercially, but the only advice I have for you is to see if the weight and recoil is agreeable to you.

I wish you the best as you try to find the AR10 that you like best. Let us know what you eventually get or build.

Cal68

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    The SFAR is on my short list, but not because its going to be the best rifle out there. It is because the price point is too hard to pass up and I think it will do the job. I had a POF years ago that was solid. I'm now building an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Hey Guys,

K
    M&P 10! I have one and the ambi controls are awesome. You can switch out the handguard, trigger, stock, grip and make it better. I wasn't a fan of the muzzle brake it came with but that can be switched out too. The right side bolt hold open is a game changer. After market drop in triggers can be a challenge because of the bolt hold open. I used a Dremel to cut a notch in a CMC housing to get it to fit but it worked out.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just my 2 cents here, I am a big believer in building. Why because you pick components you want that fit whatever the Philosophy of use is. You want it ultra light weight, buy accordingly. You want a longer range gun with heavier barrel for more long range build it.

I would just use a DPMS pattern receiver and go from there. Buy good quality components and an adjustable gas block is a must. You can go all over you tube and get reviews of components and then ask members here. Everyone is more than willing to give their input and experience.

They really are easy to build with a few tools. In the end you get exactly what you want. I think I have built 7 AR’s not disappointed in any of them. I was zeroing one of my builds on its first run at the range. Set target at 50 yds. Shot first round at target and just adjusted poi by offsetting scope , the next four shots pigeon holed the center of the target. That was time m80 ball ammo.

I get it, it’s a great marketing concept. Ruger and POF solutions are trying to make the AR10 with the smallest profile and weight. But in reality how much smaller and weight is the receiver and BCG? So maybe you save a pound and 3/4 “. Understand you are getting the lightest weight hand guard and I believe a light to medium contour barrel.

In addition understand that the brake they are putting on these rifles are monstrous and the sound is deafening. I like a brake but medium effect. Something to take the edge of it.

To much proprietary components in both the SFAR and the Revolution. That means a lot of Gremlins. The Revolution is way too pricey. For whatever I can save. For reliability and ease of use I’ll hall the 1.5 lbs more of what I can build a medium contour LR308 for.

For some this is what it’s all about. For me not so much. I guess I have to be honest , I am rather large at 6’5” 270 lbs so you can see why it is not the deal breaker for me. I have 16” AR15 with a light weight barrel and it feels like a toy.

Anyway, there you go. My 2 cents . Take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Building is the way to go if you don't plan on selling. I find it hard to impossible to sell a custom built gun for the money you put in. If you get a factory gun and don't molest it too much you can sell it for close to what you paid. I have a custom AR 10 and no one wanted to buy it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The SFAR looks pretty slick I have to admit. But parts are proprietary.

I also prefer to build. I'm an Aero fanboi so typ buy sets from them. An adjustable gas block is pretty much necessary to dial in any AR perfect.

7.62N had about 2x the energy as 5.56. Physics dictate it will have 2x the recoil. Weight can help tame that. Don't be fooled by any marketing where they say their system has the same recoil as 5.56. They're lying (unless their gun weighs 2x that of the AR15.)

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The SFAR is on my short list, but not because its going to be the best rifle out there. It is because the price point is too hard to pass up and I think it will do the job. I had a POF years ago that was solid. I'm now building an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor
    I love my sfar, haven't put it through any carbine classes or done any durability testing but it's been flawless for the 500 or so rounds I have through it so far. I bought the 16" mainly for a handy woods rifle while hunting the mountains.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I also prefer to build. I'm an Aero fanboi so typ buy sets from them. An adjustable gas block is pretty much necessary to dial in any AR perfect.

7.62N had about 2x the energy as 5.56. Physics dictate it will have 2x the recoil. Weight can help tame that. Don't be fooled by any marketing where they say their system has the same recoil as 5.56. They're lying (unless their gun weighs 2x that of the AR15.)
    Recoil... mine doesn't kick that much. My biggest recoiling guns are my 12 gauge shooting slugs and the .50 Beowulf. After 10 rounds you really feel it in your shoulder. Never had shoulder pain after 40+ rounds through the AR10.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

The brake on the sfar is extremely effective. It's also extremely loud! My 9 yr old used it for deer last year I slipped it in during a practice session where we had been shooting 6.5 Grendel and he didn't notice a recoil difference.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I agree on building and also like Aero stuff. I only have the one built Aero based AR-10 in .308. I've got another lower that isn't built.

It took an AGB to get it running properly. Overgassed and it was stove piping. AGB and turned it down and it runs 100%.

Can't cheat physics. That said, a properly gassed AR-10 is probably more like 80% more recoil than your typical overgassed AR-15.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    My AR10s are setup on the heavy side. PRS type stock and big glass (5-25x typ.) Long heavy barrels w/ brakes. W/ the gas adjusted right they are quite soft recoiling and I'm sure my kid could shoot them. There is no way he could lift one to fire offhand though :)

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Hey Guys,

K
    I have 2 brand new 18” stainless DPMS 308 for $650 each if you’re interested PM me. As far as my personal experience is I have one in 308 and one in 6.5 creedmoor. I have done work to both and really like the platform. Im no @DavidA at only 6’ 2” 200lbs but as far as I’m concerned semi automatic anything is really no big deal as far as recoil is concerned.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    as far as I’m concerned semi automatic anything is really no big deal as far as recoil is concerned.
    Let me introduce you to the 500 Automax I've been building :)

Attachments

• 20190217_154732.jpg
      20190217_154732.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 52

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My AR10s are setup on the heavy side. PRS type stock and big glass (5-25x typ.) Long heavy barrels w/ brakes. W/ the gas adjusted right they are quite soft recoiling and I'm sure my kid could shoot them. There is no way he could lift one to fire offhand though :)
    Mine is wearing a 3-9x40, aero mount, 18" fluted HBAR and a minimalist stock. Oh and a BRT linear comp. The recoil isn't brutal, but if you were expecting a heavy 20" AR-15 it will for sure wake you up. And it will leave my shoulder a little tender after about 40-50 rounds from the bench. Shooting off hand though, no problems at all shooting tons. The whole thing with an empty mag and sling is something around 8#10oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom