• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    This brings up two old questions;

If a SBR/SBS is a handgun, how can the MSP sign off on the Form 4 without the firearm being on the approved handgun roster?

And why has the MSP never required a fired shell casing for any Form 4 SBRs purchased in Maryland?

The MSP have been ignoring this for over a decade... Long before FSA '13.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Item 2 under handgun definition is the interesting item there.

You're right, I'm a retard.

This brings up two old questions;

If a SBR/SBS is a handgun, how can the MSP sign off on the Form 4 without the firearm being on the approved handgun roster?

And why has the MSP never required a fired shell casing for any Form 4 SBRs purchased in Maryland?

The MSP have been ignoring this for over a decade... Long before FSA '13.

This is also a very good question, they've never required it before, and it's not like SB281 changed this part of the law.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So a SBR is a handgun and all of those restrictions apply.

AND a SBR is a Centerfire rifle and all of THOSE restrictions apply.

They get their cake and it eat too.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    So a SBR is a handgun and all of those restrictions apply.

AND a SBR is a Centerfire rifle and all of THOSE restrictions apply.

They get their cake and it eat too.

Just as long as they don't get any SNI pies! :D

Something interesting that I got from that advisory. It appears that if you can wear and carry a SBR/SBS since it is a handgun as long as you have a Maryland Handgun Permit. I see trench coats becoming the new Maryland Handgun Permit holder fashion.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I see the "handgun" restrictions in the "wear and carry" code as a way to stop whippets (rifles illegally modified into handguns) and keep criminals from legally long gun carrying with chopped rifles. I would speculate that was the original intent, since whippets go back to the early 1900s, not this new interpretation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4-203 (f) directly says mfg FROM a RIFLE. Does NOT adress mfg from a Virgin , pistol , (or even a shotgun).

4-203 (g) amazing only applies to SBS mfg from a RIFLE !?! So doesn't apply to SBS mfg from a Virgin , "other firearm" , or amazingly an actual shotgun.

4-201 (c) (2) defines Handgun to include SBR and SBS. But see other above noted sections of 4-201 (f) & (g) for what ISN'T an SBR or SBS.

Copycat provisions only apply to semi-auto rifles ( NOT lever , bolt , pump, single , etc ). Only apply to Semi-auto shotguns with folding stocks. Does NOT apply to pumps , singles , doubles , and semi-auto's with a fixed butt stock or PGO .

5-401 (c) Roster provisions only include mfg for sale , or offered for sale. Does NOT include mfg for personal use on a Form 1 .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And no , it is not new that the chosen privledged few with Handgun Permit can conceal a NFA type item with the suitable bbl length. Most people used an AOW type item without a buttstock to lend a wink and nod to "handgun" . But now MSP is explicitly allowing concealed NFA items with buttstocks also.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    What the hell is going on here? If you have a Remington 700 that you had planned to SBR, should you form one it NOW or just scrap the idea? I'm not getting my HQL.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    4-203 (f) directly says mfg FROM a RIFLE. Does NOT adress mfg from a Virgin , pistol , (or even a shotgun).
    Basically irrelevant. If the barrel is under 16", it's an SBR no matter what it was made from.

4-203 (g) amazing only applies to SBS mfg from a RIFLE !?! So doesn't apply to SBS mfg from a Virgin , "other firearm" , or amazingly an actual shotgun.
    Misquote of the law... because it's not even a quote. They paraphrased it.

Copycat provisions only apply to semi-auto rifles ( NOT lever , bolt , pump, single , etc ). Only apply to Semi-auto shotguns with folding stocks. Does NOT apply to pumps , singles , doubles , and semi-auto's with a fixed butt stock or PGO .
    That's not true. OAL applies to all semi-auto centerfire guns.

5-401 (c) Roster provisions only include mfg for sale , or offered for sale. Does NOT include mfg for personal use on a Form 1 .
    True. But some of us have guns in form 4 hell now.

No one's trying to say "no more SBRs in MD". Clearly, that's not the case. But the new application of the roster requirement has HUGE consequences to dealers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are doing a form 1 on a Rem 700 you already own , there is no Transfer. Likewise since it is NOT a semi-auto , there is no copycat baggage , and hence no 29in OAL requirement.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Okay.... Here is what pisses me off.
    Since when does the executive branch (MDSP under the governer) get to make and interpret the law.

If I remember my Social Studies classes...
    Legislative - Make the law
    Executive - Enforces
    Judicial - Interprets

Why does MDSP get to do all three?
    Isn't that what a dictator does?

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    If you are doing a form 1 on a Rem 700 you already own , there is no Transfer. Likewise since it is NOT a semi-auto , there is no copycat baggage , and hence no 29in OAL requirement.

Even though the rifle was purchased after October? That's what was throwing me off. I haven't sent the form one in yet.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Okay.... Here is what pisses me off.
    Since when does the executive branch (MDSP under the governer) get to make and interpret the law.

If I remember my Social Studies classes...
    Legislative - Make the law
    Executive - Enforces
    Judicial - Interprets

Why does MDSP get to do all three?
    Isn't that what a dictator does?

Are they making the law or just putting out a statement about how they will enforce their interpretation of it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good catch post #30 while I was typing. It *might* be arguable for a (whatever you call what we're discussing) that is mfg in Md , and only shipped within Md, but would definately exclude a 007/SOT that manufactures and ultimatly transfers the (whatever) within the confines of their place of business.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Is a rifle now a shotgun or vis versa?

Per their language;
    CR § 4-201(g) defines “short-barreled shotgun” as a shotgun that has:
    1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 18 inches long; OR
    2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle either by alteration or modification.

Has md referred to shotguns as rifles in the past or is this unique to this document?

It all makes my head hurt.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With a Rem 700 ( or non-semi auto rifle generally ) pre or post- Oct1 2013 is irrelevent.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Just as long as they don't get any SNI pies! :D

Something interesting that I got from that advisory. It appears that if you can wear and carry a SBR/SBS since it is a handgun as long as you have a Maryland Handgun Permit. I see trench coats becoming the new Maryland Handgun Permit holder fashion.

Don't forget to dog training too!!
    :sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom