• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    These are the pitfalls of legislation like this: a citizen with no malice, no ill intent, can end up violating the law.

If this passes, I can easily see any number of scenarios where people become technical violators, simply and solely because they didn't understand all the nuances of this law.

And there are those that will simply refuse to comply. Which is a noble and patriotic act, IMO, in this situation.

PvtHike

Jul 24, 2012
    Game On!

garth-algar.png

I like that movie. Why drag it into this?

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...2&id=2013RS-sen-proceed-34B&stab=06&ys=2013RS

Why does the MD GA website say "Second Reading Passed with Amendments" if the vote is not done yet?

Each bill in the Senate (and I think the House too, I'm not sure though) has 3 readings with a vote after each reading. The first reading is the original form of the bill. The second reading is where amendments are incorporated from the committee. The third reading is where amendments from the full senate are incorporated. So right now we're at the third reading, no more amendments are allowed to be added. There's still the filibuster chance, but after a cloture vote is passed, all that's left is to vote on the bill.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    In addition to the licensing fee of 25 dollars, only way to get fingerprinted in the state of Maryland is live scan. Live Scan cost at least 60 dollars.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I would like to know how they are going to present a licensing class for the construction workers using nail guns and for flare guns since they are also targeted in this bill. Should make the Annapolis boaters and construction workers very happy to know they now need to take a class and get this license so they don't go to jail. Also, what happens to a construction worker who gets caught using a cordless nail gun if they are a "undocumented alien" or other prohibited person? Will they start adding nail guns, starter guns, and flare guns to the handgun registry?

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    What is everyone's thoughts on this failing in the House? If not completely fail (probably won't anyway) at least filibuster, and if not filibuster, fail in court??? I should NOT feel like I am being backed into a corner when wanting to buy a firearm, but yet, this is EXACTLY what is happening to all of us here.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    What is everyone's thoughts on this failing in the House? If not completely fail (probably won't anyway) at least filibuster, and if not filibuster, fail in court??? I should NOT feel like I am being backed into a corner when wanting to buy a firearm, but yet, this is EXACTLY what is happening to all of us here.

I think the last time there was an AWB attempt, it passed the Senate but failed in House committee. We have some allies there as well...Smigiel and others.

The fight's not over...if the filibuster fails we get another shot at taking this bill down in the House.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

the only thing, I don't believe there is the opportunity to filibuster in the House. I'm not certain, and I could be wrong, but based on how things work at the Federal level, you can only filibuster in the Senate.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Question, in order for a filibusterer to work, would they need to speak, one by one until the end of the legislative session in order to block this from passing? If that is the case, when does the session end and are they able to extend it under some emergency act? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to learn .

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Question, in order for a filibusterer to work, would they need to speak, one by one until the end of the legislative session in order to block this from passing? If that is the case, when does the session end and are they able to extend it under some emergency act? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to learn .

They used to have to actually physically get up there and speak. I believe nowadays, to save time, someone just has to announce their intention to filibuster and if they can't get the cloture vote, the bill is effectively tabled indefinitely.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Is this finger print business for new purchases, or does it include previously purchased firearms?

It would include previously purchased firearms. You'll have to pay $25 for EACH firearm registration. Get fingerprinted to get a gun license AND take 4 hours of "gun safety" classes.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    It would include previously purchased firearms. You'll have to pay $25 for EACH firearm registration. Get fingerprinted to get a gun license AND take 4 hours of "gun safety" classes.

Previously purchased "banned" firearms, or run of the mill handguns?

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

Technically yes, although they can allow for the senate to move to other business if there is other business that needs to be dealt with. Now days it's more like squirrels says.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom