• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Sure, working with cash is a common enough thing for some people to mention. But that's not the point. You're getting push back (though now you're changing your story) because you told us that if you "don't deal with cash or merchandise, they won't give you a permit."

I never said cash was the only way you can get a permit
    For one, when I mentioned cash, that was being a business owner.
    Being a business owner is not the only way to get a permit so cash wouldn't even play a factor.
    For example, if you had documentation of death threats or documented danger to your life (police reports)

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.
    Most states require a gun permit just to carry
    Only difference here is Maryland requires good and substantial reason.
    As mentioned, thought it was understood that we would want unrestrictive carry, so you lost me

Im saying that a few states got it right, by going constitutional carry -- no permit required. Refer to my prior points about permits for other rights. And by "unrestrictive carry," do you mean a permit issued by the state with no restrictions on time, place, or manner of carry? Criminals, who are the ones im worried about, dont bother to get permits, so what is the public safety benefit of having permits? Asking for a friend.....

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Im saying that a few states got it right, by going constitutional carry -- no permit required. Refer to my prior points about permits for other rights. And by "unrestrictive carry," do you mean a permit issued by the state with no restrictions on time, place, or manner of carry? Criminals, who are the ones im worried about, dont bother to get permits, so what is the public safety benefit of having permits? Asking for a friend.....

Again, I'm not pro-Maryland when it comes to the way they handle gun permission.

To be clear, I would like a permit to carry (I don't mind having to get a permit but you'll be waiting forever if you think Maryland will change to anybody 21 and older can freely carry a gun with no permit whatsoever) and I would like that permit to be free of restrictions and of course I don't want to need to have a good/substantial reason.

Is that clear enough?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I never said cash was the only way you can get a permit
    For one, when I mentioned cash, that was being a business owner.
    Being a business owner is not the only way to get a permit so cash wouldn't even play a factor.
    For example, if you had documentation of death threats or documented danger to your life (police reports)

You're all over the map, here. Yes, let's all stipulate that people under documented threats or in professional assumed risk roles (say, officers of the court, etc) can get permits. But your primary complaints about the new (to you) information here is that BUSINESS OWNERS have to be handling cash/merchandise or they won't get a permit. Your words (this thread's post #100, by you). Don't change the subject to non-business owners just to pretend you didn't get that part wrong. Just trying to make sure you understand that AS A BUSINESS OWNER you are definitely not required to be handling cash (ever) or toting merchandise to meet G&S, despite your assertion.

The reason we care? Because we don't want business owners who are contemplating an application talking themselves out of it because they're taking your assertions as fact. We want more people to do this, not less. And you telling us they'll fail if they bank electronically and don't carry their wares with them is something that - taken as fact - will talk more people out of doing what's needed to exercise their rights in this ridiculous state.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    You're all over the map, here. Yes, let's all stipulate that people under documented threats or in professional assumed risk roles (say, officers of the court, etc) can get permits. But your primary complaints about the new (to you) information here is that BUSINESS OWNERS have to be handling cash/merchandise or they won't get a permit. Your words (this thread's post #100, by you). Don't change the subject to non-business owners just to pretend you didn't get that part wrong. Just trying to make sure you understand that AS A BUSINESS OWNER you are definitely not required to be handling cash (ever) or toting merchandise to meet G&S, despite your assertion.

The reason we care? Because we don't want business owners who are contemplating an application talking themselves out of it because they're taking your assertions as fact. We want more people to do this, not less. And you telling us they'll fail if they bank electronically and don't carry their wares with them is something that - taken as fact - will talk more people out of doing what's needed to exercise their rights in this ridiculous state.

Of course you don't post/quote the whole thing I said, just the end of the sentence, just the part to support your narrative huh? If post #100 is wrong by me, then you saying that today Aug 3, 2019, one can get a gun permit by maryland (and apparently with no restrictions) by simply being a business owner? because that's what my post says!!!

If one can get a permit today just by being a business owner period, then I will say I'm wrong. And will open up a small business tomorrow just to say I'm and owner and get one. Otherwise, if anyone can unbiasedly read and comprehend what I wrote, all I've said is that being a business owner ALONE, is not G&S to get a permit.

Just trying to make sure you understand that AS A BUSINESS OWNER you are definitely not required to be handling cash (ever) or toting merchandise to meet G&S, despite your assertion

I never ever said that though. Never did I say required. You're making silly statements that I didn't say, knowing people are too lazy to fact check it!!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I never ever said that though. Never did I say required. You're making silly statements that I didn't say, knowing people are too lazy to fact check it!!

Wow. Here's what you said, including the extraneous stuff that doesn't contribute anything to the "they won't give you a permit" part:

If you try to apply saying you're just a business owner and talk on the phone everywhere you go,do everything digital, and don't deal with cash or merchandise, they won't give you a permit.

You're asserting that none of those other normal business activities (communicating with customers/vendor on the phone, doing your banking online) count towards a permit unless you're dealing with cash or merchandise, and MSP won't give a permit absent those things. How else is a business owner reading what you said supposed to interpret that sentence?

Jeez, this is like elementary school sentence diagramming! Let's try this another way: can you - now that you have new, current information - acknowledge for the benefit of other would-be permit holders who come across this thread, that NO, handling cash and merchandise is NOT required for a business owner to get a permit. More importantly, can you take on board the fact that business owners applying/renewing in recent years aren't even asked to present evidence of things like cash deposits?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So like I said. Never said cash was required.

Right. Cash or merchandise, if you're applying as a business owner, or no permit, you said. Don't go away mad, just help other visitors here recognize that that sort of assertion is incorrect, and shouldn't stop business owners from applying.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually the information regarding the * Why * is not tabulated in that form . PIA requests in the past have yielded the * Occupation * of outstanding W&C holders , and it's vague enough that at least half the time a G&S can't be reliably guessed from it .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    One thing we all can agree with is for many people and business owners still don't understand they can get permits to carry , we need to educate business owners and persons that qualify they can get their permits . The numbers need to increase in order to shed light on the issue .

I talk to many business owners and have helped and encouraged a few to sign up . I believe we can change the scheme as well the MSP has in place at least with restrictions and maybe more later just have to chip away little by little and that one court case .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No #1 reason? so you telling me Maryland state doesn't keep records? they don't keep track of the reasons they give out permits? oh really? smh

As the former President of MSI, I can confirm that the answer to the above, is an emphatic NO, from MSP. The only thing they keep track of is occupation.

I said primarily cash and merchandise/products/etc. I said that from the jump. Of course there are other ways to get a permit. Never said this was the only ones. I actually only sid the primary way for BUSINESS OWNERS is indicate they deal with cash. Normally Maryland will want you to show deposit receipts or documents of a CASH FLOW<---

The above highlighted is completely incorrect, based on actual experience as well as walking numerous other business owners through the process. At no time have they or I had to prove they/I handle cash, or show deposit slips. Simply had to provide a letter from their bank stating they had active business accounts.

Not sure why y'all are striving to be know it alls on the internet

Not playing "know it all" just providing information that is current and up to date based on actual experience and working with other that have recently gone through the permit process as well as renewals, based on recent interactions with MSP LD.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you haven't been reading I've had Maryland permit for 20 years. Including renewing them and providing documents to police. Getting my HQL, them adding more stuff to renewing, I stayed in the know, as an active permit holder. Up until last year when I closed my business. I no longer had a good and substantial reason then. I still have several permits from other states. I'm very aware of permit processes.

But listening to y'all on here, I could open up a website site on the internet, but say I run my office out my home in Maryland, and run around everywhere talking on my business phone using my tablet to update my website. That'll get me a gun permit in Maryland, probably with no restrictions, according to y'all right? smh

Based on actual business owners that have gotten a permit doing exactly that, the answer is yes. In addition to asking for clarification from MSP LD on the above "example" the answer is yes.

You can shake your head all you want, but what you seem to know seems to be a bit outdated, even though you maintained a permit for 20 years.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The concern is real! U gotta keep a couple racks on you at all times! hey if you're carrying cash currency you're within your restrictions. My point is that it all just boils down to money. If you got enough of it, they let you carry whenever. if you broke, you're a sub-citizen.

MSP does not differentiate between cash or checks. Cash does not equal within restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Anybody who know about permits, knows, just because you're a business owner, will NOT simply give you a permit. Theres way more to it!! But The reason I stated was the #1 reason, REQUIRED one to be a business owner, smh. However mine was more to the point: money. The fact is no one will get a permit just because they are a business owner, so your point is moot.

You're wrong again. Maryland state will NOT give you a permit just to protect your life. If you walk in and say you want a permit just to protect your life, THEY WILL DENY YOU. You have to have a good and substantial reason to get a gun permit to protect your life, again, more facts. If you can document death threats or something, you can get a permit to protect yourself. But you can't just on the face say you want to protect your life and they give you one. But like I said, if you say you're carrying money, THEN they may give you a permit to protect your life (and the money). That's how Maryland gun permit systems works.

Nobody is mad, for what? I don't know you. And of course every gun permit application is different. It just seems like you're trying to portray to the masses one can apply AND GET a permit if they are merely a business owner. That's complete falsehood!!!!

I think he works for MSP LD.......

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Anybody who know about permits, knows, just because you're a business owner, will NOT simply give you a permit. Theres way more to it!! But The reason I stated was the #1 reason, REQUIRED one to be a business owner, smh. However mine was more to the point: money. The fact is no one will get a permit just because they are a business owner, so your point is moot.

You're wrong again. Maryland state will NOT give you a permit just to protect your life. If you walk in and say you want a permit just to protect your life, THEY WILL DENY YOU. You have to have a good and substantial reason to get a gun permit to protect your life, again, more facts. If you can document death threats or something, you can get a permit to protect yourself. But you can't just on the face say you want to protect your life and they give you one. But like I said, if you say you're carrying money, THEN they may give you a permit to protect your life (and the money). That's how Maryland gun permit systems works.

Nobody is mad, for what? I don't know you. And of course every gun permit application is different. It just seems like you're trying to portray to the masses one can apply AND GET a permit if they are merely a business owner. That's complete falsehood!!!!

Actually you would be incorrect. MSP has said on multiple occasions at the HPRB hearings that if you apply as a business owner you WILL get a permit.(albeit with the usual restrictions)

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Actually you would be incorrect. MSP has said on multiple occasions at the HPRB hearings that if you apply as a business owner you WILL get a permit.(albeit with the usual restrictions)

This statement is correct .

Even the crazy judge on the new board told a citizen to open a business and get a permit (with restrictions)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You can stop now... his post count is over 50...:innocent0

30 of his 52 posts done in the last 3 days.

Now he has access to the Water Cooler. His controllers in the DNC will be pleased.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    Here is my problem with restrictions they are just as subjective as the permit itself. If you get the wrong cop on the side of the road in the wrong location they will screw your life up. I am waiting for the police to pull someone over in Maryland and subjectively discriminate against someone's restrictions, so this can be tried in court under a civil right violation. You are any police offer to give the same criteria for staying within your printed restrictions and the will give you a load of subjective BS. FACTS!

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD

Ok, now that the bickering appears to have died down (I hope) I have a serious question. I feel like we’ve been talking around the issues of what constitutes a G&S reason for a permit for a business owner. But it appears that being a business owner might be enough to get one, with restrictions. So my question is, what are typical restrictions a business owner might face? Business hours? Work days? Activities? Or is it that the permit is valid just as long as you’re employed by that business? Do these restrictions differ based on the whims of the MSP or the Board? Or is there some sort of history, or standard, one can try to rely on when applying?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom