• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    So, does anyone know the rules in MD for staying in a hotel with a firearm? Is it considered a temporary residence, or a crime worthy of execution?

I want to attend this event, but I would prefer to stay in a hotel in the area since it is such a long drive. Might as well make a weekend out of it, but I don't want to go to prison either.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So, does anyone know the rules in MD for staying in a hotel with a firearm? Is it considered a temporary residence, or a crime worthy of execution?

I want to attend this event, but I would prefer to stay in a hotel in the area since it is such a long drive. Might as well make a weekend out of it, but I don't want to go to prison either.

Well, I asked my LEO sister about it once with the code book in hand and her interpretation was since the Maryland code says "....or between bona fide residences..." and that "bona fide residences" is a place where you have (for example) a written lease or recieve mail in her opinion, the transportation to the hotel room is not a valid reason for transportation because to her it was not a bona fide residence. (just one police officer's opinnion though)
    Now there are a couple of other things to consider. Since the hotel is private property and you are renting the room, once you are there with your handgun, I see no law (not that there isn't one I may have missed) against having it with you in your room as a Maryland resident.
    However, if you travel through Maryland on the federal law that allows transportation thriough states, then you could take a quick trip to a shooting range in Virginia or a gun shop there, get a receipt and then leave straight from there in VA to the gun range in Maryland. That way you might be under the federal law and I hear people are allowed to stop at a hotel in your travels as long as you leave the handgun in the trunk. The reciept from the range in VA would be the proof that you started your travels from out of state and that you traveled from your home in Maryland to VA to go to an informal target practice.

Remember though that the transportation restrictions only apply to regulated firearms as I understand it and if you travelled with only long guns, then with the exception of Montgommery county and I think Baltimore city, there are no restrictions on transporting unloaded and unregulated long guns. With unnregulated long guns only, I don't think there is any problem with stopping at a hotel.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Are we taking about a firearm or specifically a handgun?

I have stayed in a hotel room with my firearms many times. In fact, I rode up an elevator in a Holiday Inn one time with a guy carrying an un-cased Garand. Of course, this was in Garrett County. In any county west of Washington Co. or east of Kent that would probably get the SWAT team called on you.

I don't know how you could have a hunting season if you couldn't take long guns into your hotel. They might as well just go into a state forest during hunting season and arrest everyone camped there.

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    If you haven't been there before , this range is a throwback to the days of personal responsibility and freedom; no nagging range officers, community agreement on ceasefires, they supply a few targets and LOAN you (not rent!) spotting scopes, staplers, sandbags, adjustable benchrests, ear and eye protection and a host of other goodies.

That's the Numero Uno reason I decided on this place. People have to attend these shoots with the right atmosphere.

We got the word out about this shoot waaaay early because all the Class III guys need atleast a month to bring their toys to this.

I wouldn't worry about staying in hotels with firearms. Just put your rifles in guitar cases.:party29:

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I went by the range today on the way back home, yes it's an old scool range.
    There was about 6 or 7 people sighting in rifle and shotgun/slugs and a few
    shooting hand gun on the right hand side. It's a throw back to the way ranges were in the 60's and early 70's. :party29:

Old gun shop, years ago it was called Fins,Furs and Feathers or something like that. They have some shooting supplies, lots of deer mounted on the wall
    soft drinks and some snacks.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Can I shoot my "Assault Weapon"?

Assaultweapon.jpg
    :lol2:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Can I shoot my "Assault Weapon"?

Assaultweapon.jpg
    :lol2:

Needs to be "un-trigger-lockable, easily child obtainable". Maybe also stick a
    lollipop and a picture of Barney on it to make it more attactive to toddlers.

Then leave many of them in the street because we all know that evil assault
    weapons are freely available on the streets.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The mini-Appleseed clinic will be run by Pacer for the shoot. The fee for this is an additional $15 which covers the expenses for that extra part of the get together. The clinic is NOT mandatory so if you just want to come shoot and visit that's fine.

I'm going to do the clinic because I feel like I've maxed out on my progress and need some actual instruction. This may be the first time a mini-Appleseed clinic has been done in MD.

Pacer has an excellent run down of the clinic in the thread over at TRP:

http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/index.php?topic=885.15

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Just a bump to the thread to keep the interest flowing. It'd be great to see those of you I've already met, and to meet the others that I converse with frequently online.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Well, I was planning to go, but my employer is sending me to Hawaii for the entire month of January (for the second time in 3 months). Eventually I am going to make it to one of these events. :mad:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, I was planning to go, but my employer is sending me to Hawaii for the entire month of January (for the second time in 3 months). Eventually I am going to make it to one of these events. :mad:

If you really want to tick off your wife, do what I did...

At a past job I was being sent to Oahu on a regular basis. They actually sent me there for a one day meeting. So one day I told my wife that I was going there so much that I was getting sick of it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

At a past job I was being sent to Oahu on a regular basis. They actually sent me there for a one day meeting. So one day I told my wife that I was going there so much that I was getting sick of it.

On that day I would have "missed" my flight back. ;)

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

I don't have to tell her I'm sick of it. We lived there for 4 years and I bitched about it each and every day. :)

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    I've got a PTR91 will this be suitable for the clinic. I've been reading alot about the Appleseed program lately and it sounds great... I'll finally have to get a sling for the 91.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom