• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    fabrosman, this is a direct quote from you in another thread while discussing voters in this state,

"Don't underestimate how stupid the populace is."

After reading that (your words), I cannot understand how you are still avidly pushing the referendum route.

Because I truly believe they just are not this stupid.

Also, post a link to the quote so I can make sure you aren't slicing and dicing it out of context.

I also think a lot of gun owners are idiots too. 40% of those that testified against SB281 are not registered to vote. I also believe that appellate judges will grasp at whatever they want to just to get where they want to get to. Most attorneys know this. They will find law to support whatever position they want to take, or put "public policy" in there to change prior precedence.

Yep, I still believe the general populace is stupid, but that applies across the board and not just to liberals or non-gun owners.

Heck, maybe they are so stupid that they will vote against SB281 even when they are for gun control.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    If I cherry pickingly read it wrong, my bad.

Here is your quote in full:

"Yeah, and if you told me Obama was going to be President in 2006, I would have laughed at you. Don't underestimate how stupid the populace is. All O'Malley needs is for Oprah or somebody else to back him and good Lord, God help us all.

Nah, I don't think this country is going to come to its senses until things get really, really, really bad.

Baltimore has been a cancer on this state for a while, and it is only getting worse. Followed by PG and I am going to guess that in 20 to 30 years Montgomery County will be right there too. I lived in Montgomery County for 39 years, and the decay is pretty evident there. For some reason, the cancer starts in the inner cities and moves outward. For some reason, we cannot figure out how to get rid of it. Might have to do with the cancer getting a free meal from its host, and then moving furhter outward. This cancer will easily spread from DC to Baltimore. Might take a little longer to move from Baltimore to Philadelphia.

Until the majority of Americans really, really, really hurt and there is no more free bread, people will continue to spend their time and money on entertainment.

Thought I moved far enough away from the cancerous cells to buy some time, but it doesn't even look like western Maryland or the Eastern shore is safe from this cancer.

To hear that this is politics is depressing, but not surprising because the majority just does not care."

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=116492

fjm0008

Jun 27, 2012
    Arnold
    Tuition for Illegal Aliens passed 59-41%, Redisricting passed 64-36 %, and same sex marriage passed 52-48 %. So here are your odds. I would venture that the majority of people on this forum including myself were on the loser side of these referendum issues. Any referendum with the word gun on it will be a loser in Maryland. This will further embolden the legislature to infringe on more of your rights because "the majority of the State has spoken". Emergency session for gambling, then it passes. This State is a joke. Rain Tax, Gas Tax, Flush Tax, there is no way a referendum passes to repeal SB281. I like the odds better at the Supreme Court with Woolard if they will take the case. I don't want the people of Maryland who voted to pass the above issues deciding on my Constitutional Rights.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Yep, battle is the short term thinking on this mess. War is the long term thinking. I want to win the war, not just the battle. Won the initial battle on Woolard. Lost the next battle. If SCOTUS does not accept cert on the issue, then the WAR is lost on CCW. If SCOTUS rules against us on cert, then the WAR is lost. However, it sure felt good to win that initial battle now didn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons for not going forth with referendum. I also understand that a lot of people on here suffer from "battered gun owner syndrome". I just disagree with the reasons for not going the referendum route. My gut tells me that this is one we would most likely win because there are a lot of liberal gun owners out there.

Like most voters and people, I am not a one issue person. So, how the public stands on this matter, matters to me as far as staying or going. I would prefer to see how my fellow citizens feel about this before I decide on whether to abandon them for another state.

Maryland did not get this way overnight. A statewide referendum forces us to take on the entire machine in one go,on an issue that will push moderates away out of fear while giving the left a rallying point.

My estimate is that if we make a broad education campaign, not just focus on gun control ,target weak incumbents, and make people see that all is not lost ,then we can take back Maryland. But it will take more than one election cycle.

It can be done and it must be done, but it is a long term goal.

First,we must weaken the machine. By going to referendum you play their game. By attacking the crime in Baltimore you play our game.

We have a secret weapon ... word of mouth. Do it right,and we can change minds before they even know that the campaign is on. But..
    Play air time buy vs air time buy with the Bloombergs of the world ....... Not a chance. And remember the media, also, are actively against us as well.

There is a big fight ahead in 2014 .. It will take call we have...

And there is this .....

A win on referendum by less than 10% will be spun as inconclusive by the media and we will be right back at it in Annapolis. Does anyone think we can win by more than 10%?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Tuition for Illegal Aliens passed 59-41%, Redisricting passed 64-36 %, and same sex marriage passed 52-48 %. So here are your odds. I would venture that the majority of people on this forum including myself were on the loser side of these referendum issues. Any referendum with the word gun on it will be a loser in Maryland. This will further embolden the legislature to infringe on more of your rights because "the majority of the State has spoken". Emergency session for gambling, then it passes. This State is a joke. Rain Tax, Gas Tax, Flush Tax, there is no way a referendum passes to repeal SB281. I like the odds better at the Supreme Court with Woolard if they will take the case. I don't want the people of Maryland who voted to pass the above issues deciding on my Constitutional Rights.

That is the most disturbing one, considering that the washington post advocated that people should vote against gerrymandering.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Most people didn't know what the redistricting even was. You should've seen the look on the faces of some people I spoke to once I told them what it was they voted for...

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Most people didn't know what the redistricting even was. You should've seen the look on the faces of some people I spoke to once I told them what it was they voted for...

And to think we want our 2A rights to be put to a referendum in this state?

Dis you happen to ask them why they didn't vote no, or skip the question entirely if they had no idea what it was about.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Our right to self defense is not something for the masses to vote on. Keep doing that and you'll have nothing left. Besides, who do you think would word such a referendum? I can't believe some of the people here

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Which takes us full circle. The average Maryland voter is an ignorant, knuckle-dragging troglodyte. I have no interest is allowing those mouth-breathers to vote on my rights. Short of an armed revolt, the courts are our only recourse.

For now.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    And to think we want our 2A rights to be put to a referendum in this state?

Dis you happen to ask them why they didn't vote no, or skip the question entirely if they had no idea what it was about.

All they said was "more accuracy" which I assumed they meant more accurate representation, when, in reality, what they were getting was exactly the opposite.

That alone should be enough to discourage us from going the referendum route.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I agree with Brooklyn.

We would have our heads handed to us in a state wide vote.

Our best bet is what a lot of us are doing now. Get the word out. Start smacking lazy, unregistered, couch dwellers across the skull with 2x4z.

Get folks to reregister as DEMOCRATS so they can vote the incumbets out in the 2014 primaries.

My new voter id card should be here in 2 weeks.

Gun owners unite!!!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Which takes us full circle. The average Maryland voter is an ignorant, knuckle-dragging troglodyte. I have no interest is allowing those mouth-breathers to vote on my rights. Short of an armed revolt, the courts are our only recourse.

For now.
    Diet Coke spit all over keyboard. :lol2: :thumbsup:

If the masses voted for redistricting, gay marriage and illegal alien in-state tuition (not gay bashing or alien bashing), there is NO way we'd win the referendum.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    IMO, Frosh's gloating is irrelevant. Anyone in his district or on his email list is either brainwashed to vote against us, or already on our side and just keeping tabs. We have action in the courts. Let him have his one-and-done "victory."

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    IMO, Frosh's gloating is irrelevant. Anyone in his district or on his email list is either brainwashed to vote against us, or already on our side and just keeping tabs. We have action in the courts. Let him have his one-and-done "victory."

Lets hope the courts side with us or not only will he still be gloating and other states will follow our law and the 2 Amendment will mean only for hunting

Stratman60

Apr 6, 2013
    Calvert
    I was thinking a referendum might be the way to go, but you bring up sound arguments. I was thinking of changing to Dem also but kinda having a hard time with that.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    If you already have republican reps, then don't worry about it. But if your reps are mostly democrats, do it. It sucks and I threw up in my mouth a little when my voter registration card came in the mail, but it's worth it.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    If you already have republican reps, then don't worry about it. But if your reps are mostly democrats, do it. It sucks and I threw up in my mouth a little when my voter registration card came in the mail, but it's worth it.

If you have a strong republican delegate switching to democrat for the primary you can still influence the primary for the governor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom