• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngloSaxon

Jan 31, 2013
    Somerset County
    Just wondering who or what organization has or is going to start petition so this gun bill can be postponed until November 2014 and the people can determine what we really want???

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    You want the people of a Democratic controlled state to decide if you can own firearms? Referendum is a bad idea in this state because it's filled with sheeple.

AngloSaxon

Jan 31, 2013
    Somerset County
    It maybe a bad idea, but it is a way to delay this bill for a year in order to give the courts time to get at it. A referendum is not binding to the courts just to the implementation of this bill

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My concern is that when this goes to court, the referendum will be used in favor of the law. There is no reason to believe we will win repeal of the bill in referendum.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Referendum is not a bad idea. It will delay this $hit for 1 year. Also, even if the people do vote in support of this, we still have the courts. We have nothing to lose!

I would like to reiterate because I've seen it posted so much on this site: even if "the people" support this at the polls, we still have the court system!

Also, it won't help or hurt the court process. Look at segregation in the south.

AngloSaxon

Jan 31, 2013
    Somerset County
    A referendum has no bearing on legal issues, the courts are SUPPOSE to rule only on the law not on public opinion. Public opinion is SUPPOSE to have a bearing on the Senators and Delegates, in this case it did not.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Look at gay marriage in California: legislature approved, voters said no, US Supreme Court now deciding.

Having voters decide does not help or hurt chances in court!!

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    I am in 110% support of a referendum. I have the info at home on what needs to be done to collect signatures, I will post it up this evening when I get home. No better time then now to get the ball rolling.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    a referendum on THIS BILL is a terrible idea. The referendum will be worded in a way that will give the most advantage to Vinny DeMarco and O'Malley and only strengthen their hand.

We may get postponement if we get a favorable court ruling.

That said, a simple referendum that gets people to the polls in 2014 is a good idea. But we need to keep it simple and concise (difficult to manipulate or disagree with): "the constitution of Maryland should be amended to incorporate "The right of the people to keep and bear arms for self defense, hunting, and sporting purposes.""

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    My concern is that when this goes to court, the referendum will be used in favor of the law. There is no reason to believe we will win repeal of the bill in referendum.

Prop 8 in California has the Justices of SCOTUS asking "what authority do we have here?"

Well, they don't have that question in a Gun Right's Case.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Look at gay marriage in California: legislature approved, voters said no, US Supreme Court now deciding.

Having voters decide does not help or hurt chances in court!!

Precisely... SCOTUS asked the one question that no one seemed to think about with a FEDERAL challenge...do we have the authority to answer this question? Or is this a state's right's issue.

They have no such wiggle room in this fight...they will have to answer the question (or at least some court below them will have to answer it).

Biohazard2m

Apr 12, 2012
    You might also be able to bank on the fact that 2014 is an off cycle election year. The indifference of the majority of the anti-2a folk was proven in the turnouts at Annapolis this session. 100 to 1 anybody?

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Precisely... SCOTUS asked the one question that no one seemed to think about with a FEDERAL challenge...do we have the authority to answer this question? Or is this a state's right's issue.

They have no such wiggle room in this fight...they will have to answer the question (or at least some court below them will have to answer it).

They were hearing DOMA though which does fall under federal jurisdiction - federal law which affects the rights/perks of "Marriage" if I understand it correctly.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Prop 8 in California has the Justices of SCOTUS asking "what authority do we have here?"

Well, they don't have that question in a Gun Right's Case.

No, the Supreme Court is deciding whether or not a state can deny gay marriage (like he citizens voted in favor of).

Look, I'm a lawyer and I can shout this until my face turns blue: there's no reason not to vote on this. With all the gun control measures across the country, the Supreme Court will likely hear a case before our law even comes into effect. Think we'll get an injunction in court? It worked well for Woollard...

If this passes we NEED to send it to vote!!! We get two chances at a win: voters could surprise us and vote it down and, if not, we still get a shot in court

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom