• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Too many toys, you bastid! Let me know if you see any in stock. All I've seen is some demilled ones at J&G. I actually don't own a 9x19 pistol and need to fix that.

Ill keep an eye out if I see any others pop up for sale.......

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I purchased my P64 soon after acquiring my FFL03. I was eager to exercise my new license! As other have said, it is a snappy gun, but in my opinion not an all day shooter. Also a little awkward for large hands. Shot it a few times, did the Wolff Spring mod and now rarely take it out of the safe. I will say it functioned perfectly each time I took it to the range.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I have other pistols to take out to the range and shoot all day, so it doesn't bother me that the P64 is only comfortable to shoot for a couple of mags. That's not the issue. It wasn't meant to be a target pistol, and it very good for what it was designed to do. It shoots a powerful round, is very accurate for its size, and it's compact and easy to carry. The DA design, although a rough pull in DA mode (without work), makes it relatively safe to carry in a holster without a safety engaged--and that's what it was intended for. In a SHTF situation, you wouldn't notice how hard, or easy, that first shot is to pull off anyway, and the SA trigger action after that would seem like you were just thinking about pulling the trigger when it fired.

Whether you end up wanting to shoot it a lot, or not, it's an excellent firearm! It might not be the best choice as a first C&R for someone who wants to go out a shoot a bunch, and can't afford to pick something else up relatively soon, but it's a great addition to a C&R collection.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have other pistols to take out to the range and shoot all day, so it doesn't bother me that the P64 is only comfortable to shoot for a couple of mags. That's not the issue. It wasn't meant to be a target pistol, and it very good for what it was designed to do. It shoots a powerful round, is very accurate for its size, and it's compact and easy to carry. The DA design, although a rough pull in DA mode (without work), makes it relatively safe to carry in a holster without a safety engaged--and that's what it was intended for. In a SHTF situation, you wouldn't notice how hard, or easy, that first shot is to pull off anyway, and the SA trigger action after that would seem like you were just thinking about pulling the trigger when it fired.

Whether you end up wanting to shoot it a lot, or not, it's an excellent firearm! It might not be the best choice as a first C&R for someone who wants to go out a shoot a bunch, and can't afford to pick something else up relatively soon, but it's a great addition to a C&R collection.

I agree 100%. I almost got rid of mine but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to let it go. What it really is, is a damn fine concealed carry or back-up gun that can easily and comfortably be slipped in a pocket holster. I don't particularly carry it when out and about but I have grown fond of having it in the pocket on occasion when working around the property and/or when out in the garage late at night.

I've got nothing against LCP's or similar small sized .380 pistols, but honestly, if I'm carrying small I personally prefer the P-64 in 9x18. It's like a poor man's PPK, well built, steel pistol but you don't mind throwing it in a pocket holster because you don't have $600 tied up in it.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Well put.

Mine's a keeper.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Not if you reload ... and especially if you cast your own. It's easy to cut down a 9mm Luger casing. Just sayin'!

I've been doing that for some time now and marking the bottoms with red nail polish, when I suggested this I caught hell that some brass scavenger may reload or sell them as 9mm Luger, as thats the way the case is marked.
    I try to retrieve all cases but occasionally a few may get away without being found so I can understand that point.
    However as a reloader I Mike and trim every case from an unknown source before reloading. Just saying
    Eddie O

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Not if you reload ... and especially if you cast your own. It's easy to cut down a 9mm Luger casing. Just sayin'!

I've been doing that for some time now and marking the bottoms with red nail polish, when I suggested this I caught hell that some brass scavenger may reload or sell them as 9mm Luger, as thats the way the case is marked.
    I try to retrieve all cases but occasionally a few may get away without being found so I can understand that point.
    However as a reloader I Mike and trim every case from an unknown source before reloading. Just saying
    Eddie O

I mark my 9x19 to 9x18 cut-downs by blacking the ends with a large magic marker. That lasts until I clean it.

I don't shoot at public ranges where my brass is going to get mixed with others*, and I pick all of mine (and whatever others may have left) up. As with you, Ed, I measure each case during the cleaning/sorting process. If anyone picks up a case that has the end blackened, or marked in red, and they don't wonder why ... and check it carefully ... they're just sort of an idiot.

[*I shoot on my own land, and also at a private club where I am either shooting in lanes by myself, or with people I know.]

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    I mark my 9x19 to 9x18 cut-downs by blacking the ends with a large magic marker. That lasts until I clean it.

I don't shoot at public ranges where my brass is going to get mixed with others*, and I pick all of mine (and whatever others may have left) up. As with you, Ed, I measure each case during the cleaning/sorting process. If anyone picks up a case that has the end blackened, or marked in red, and they don't wonder why ... and check it carefully ... they're just sort of an idiot.

[*I shoot on my own land, and also at a private club where I am either shooting in lanes by myself, or with people I know.]
    Unfortunately, although I own a large piece of property that backs to woods, I am within the Aberdeen City Limits where local laws prohibit recreational firearms discharge or hunting. On top of that the wife feeds the Deer at the rear gate. (Thinks they are pets).
    Back to subject, I do some shooting at Elk Neck, mark my cases and would hope anyone who reloads would notice the short case. Even if loaded as a 9mm I can't see a short case causing a catastrophic failure. If anyone is of a different opinion please let me know.

Not that it's a good idea but I have an Astra in Largo that will fire anything that will chamber. Speaking of the Largo Case, if Century Arms can convince anyone to buy the re-tooled 9mm P1's in 9X21 Euro Cal. I can see some reloaders cutting Largo 9X23 Cases down to 9X21 just to fire this "Hacked Weapon".

I could not agree with you more that when reloading you really need to take care in what you are doing, however I do not want to be a factor in some newbie damaging his weapon or himself.

I had considered grinding the 9mm Luger markings off the bottom of the Case but the Stupid Stone immediately hit me on the top of the head when I realized I would have nothing but a box of ammo with high primers.

If anyone reading this Thread is new to Reloading, or thinking about Reloading please take away one thing, when collecting or buying pre-fired brass, please inspect it carefully, disregard the markings and make sure the case Mikes. properly. Check the case for dents, cracks or other imperfections and dispose of them immediately.
    Purchase several good Reloading Books and carefully follow instructions, stay safe and have fun.
    Eddie O

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There are probably experts who have better knowledge but The 9mm head spaces off of the case length since it is not rimmed nor has a shoulder to head space off of. If you chambered a short cased 9mm I would expect it would want to sit deeper. The bullet would stop at the rifling though and the extractor may try to hold it back too. Since the 9mm mak case went through a sizer die, it would be tapered now. I can't imagine it would be good long term and possibly damage something like an extractor but like you said, not cause a catastrophic failure. I have been cutting down Luger to Mak and using a sharpie on the head to mark them. The sharpie will come off during a cleaning but like you said, it allows me to easily separate them from random Luger pick ups.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I love my P-64s so much, I'm planning on giving them names. Anyone have suggestions? I need 4 Polish womens names.
    Natasha and Svetlana are already used for my AKs.

Everybody DOES name their guns, RIGHT????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom