• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If your semi is reliable with your prefered defensive rounds , and you shoot it well, and have confidence in it, more power to you. If you already own it , $ not an issue.

BUT pumps are more tolerent of abuse and neglect. Pumps have no issues of recoil impulse/ gas pressure curve with various "tactical" ie reduced recoil defensive loads.

The speed of HITTING is limited by recoil recovery and aiming, not by the mechanical cycling of the gun. Moderately proficient pump gunners will have the gun cycled well before (re)aquiring next target.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    If your semi is reliable with your prefered defensive rounds , and you shoot it well, and have confidence in it, more power to you. If you already own it , $ not an issue.

No, I don't own a semi shotgun at the moment. I've used a few, and I have semi auto rifles. But I was thinking of getting a shotgun and hence the thread.

The speed of HITTING is limited by recoil recovery and aiming, not by the mechanical cycling of the gun. Moderately proficient pump gunners will have the gun cycled well before (re)aquiring next target.

The claims are that with their whiz bang actions and whatnot that you're back on target faster (they may be doing this with reduced recoil loads as well.)

At this point I'm not sure at all how much is just clever add copy or if they really are a lot more managable.

I could seea more constant pressure on the shoulder as opposed to a sharp impules and then nothing being easier to control.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Too many computer games. Too much theory. Too much one-ups-man-ship. Little shotgun knowledge. No experience. Nothing learned. 30

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I think it is best to use the firearm that you shoot on a regular basis for home defense. If you hunt/skeet shoot with a pump (which I've seen plenty of guys do quiet well - for those that don't skeet shoot, every 3rd shot requires two quick shots at clays going in different directions) you will have the muscle memory to use that gun under stress.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For some the re-acquisition of target may be quicker with semi, I've shot both, granted more often than not it's pump, but after some time with both I tend to lean towards pump. I like the recoil of pump, you may not, get to the range and beat the hell out of your shoulder with both, see which one speaks to you.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have an 11-87 Premiere and an FN SLP that have both run 100% for me, but for home defense, my preference is an 870 with an 18" barrel, knox stock, and a steel extension from scattergun technologies; it just works. At some point I'd like to get a flashlight for it, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

If a blast of 00 doesn't knock the BG back, I have bigger problems than slower follow-ups.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I think it is best to use the firearm that you shoot on a regular basis for home defense. If you hunt/skeet shoot with a pump (which I've seen plenty of guys do quiet well - for those that don't skeet shoot, every 3rd shot requires two quick shots at clays going in different directions) you will have the muscle memory to use that gun under stress.

I agree, plus the kick on everything except 3" mag's really isn't that hard to control...

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    I like having the audible of the pump. Yes it's giving away an element of surprise if you rack side, but if you're just trying to scare away a punk it works very nicely. If you're trying to provide a burglar for the police to pick up, you can always stalk a little closer before 'announcing' that you, the homeowner, is indeed home and wants him to kiss the floor.

I have an 870 express for HD, it was cheap, one of the industry standards along with the 500, so ammo capacity isn't so much a problem. There is a guy on youtube, usafmiller, who goes over a few cheap options for shotguns in a HD capacity (he used a rossi single shot).

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Too many computer games. Too much theory. Too much one-ups-man-ship. Little shotgun knowledge. No experience. Nothing learned. 30

You've demonstrated some good knowledge for shottys(:lol2: sorry, couldn't help myself...i'm an ass sometimes). U have any insight into the stoeger knockoffs of the benellis? They really are a hell of a lot cheaper. If the difference is mostly just some sharp edges that need knocking down and no chrome plating, welp...it may just be worth it. If there's metallurgy issues or other biiiiig reasons why saving up for a m2 or m4 would be better...then theres that.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I like having the audible of the pump. Yes it's giving away an element of surprise if you rack side, but if you're just trying to scare away a punk it works very nicely. If you're trying to provide a burglar for the police to pick up, you can always stalk a little closer before 'announcing' that you, the homeowner, is indeed home and wants him to kiss the floor.

It occurs to me that if you've got eight shots, and given that you don't go through them all that fast with a pump 12 guage (and probably don't need to), maybe it would work out fine to just leave the gun with one in the chamber in case you're in a hurry, but then if you aren't you could eject one for the intimidating noise.

Pretty easy to put one back in afterwards if you'd like.

Still...ugh. But I guess if it works.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    It occurs to me that if you've got eight shots, and given that you don't go through them all that fast with a pump 12 guage (and probably don't need to), maybe it would work out fine to just leave the gun with one in the chamber in case you're in a hurry, but then if you aren't you could eject one for the intimidating noise.

Pretty easy to put one back in afterwards if you'd like.

Man, I hear shotguns being racked all of the time, and I've never once shat my pants. Maybe Chad should check my sphincter. Pumping out a live round for "intimidation" just sounds reckless as hell. It's one thing to chamber a round, it's another to waste a perfectly good one. You don't use firearms to scare people. You use firearms to stop the threat to your persons. The latter is the only legally defensible use of a firearm. The former could be considered brandishing.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    You've demonstrated some good knowledge for shottys(:lol2: sorry, couldn't help myself...i'm an ass sometimes). U have any insight into the stoeger knockoffs of the benellis? They really are a hell of a lot cheaper. If the difference is mostly just some sharp edges that need knocking down and no chrome plating, welp...it may just be worth it. If there's metallurgy issues or other biiiiig reasons why saving up for a m2 or m4 would be better...then theres that.

Sorry, but I have no experience with them. Generally speaking though, Stoegers in any form are cheap low quality utility guns. They go bang mostly and are fine for a starter gun or a gun for occasional use. I would not ask much more of them. Your specific question would be better directed to a forum that might share some experience with them. Perhaps you could take a peek at the Stoeger Lover's Forum on shotgunworld.com. You might also reach out to clandestine to see if he's ever worked on one.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Personally, I prefer a pump because it's what I know. Don't even think about cycling the action, It's just as natural as breathing at this point. As far as cycling the action, I disagree with that a lot. It should be ready to go now, and why not have a full magazine when the shit starts? As others have said before, cycling the action only lets the bad guy know where you are and that you have a gun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sorry, but I have no experience with them. Generally speaking though, Stoegers in any form are cheap low quality utility guns. They go bang mostly and are fine for a starter gun or a gun for occasional use. I would not ask much more of them. Your specific question would be better directed to a forum that might share some experience with them. Perhaps you could take a peek at the Stoeger Lover's Forum on shotgunworld.com. You might also reach out to clandestine to see if he's ever worked on one.

I agree with Blackthorne on Stoegers.

They are really cheaply built. I dont have any experience with the particular model Smokey is talking about but if it lacks chrome lining then I would say its another cheap gun trying to be competition. The chrome lining and well made Barrels and Bolt Groups is on Benellis is the heart of the guns and they are almost always chromed or VERY well made if not chromed. This makes them reliable which they are legendary for.

Beyond being cheaply made and having poorly made parts they have a poor supply chain. If your Stoeger breaks it hell getting parts. I have waited consistently 6 months for parts to fix Stoeger shotguns in the past. That alone with the poor quality makes me not consider them even for beginners.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I agree with Blackthorne on Stoegers.

They are really cheaply built. I dont have any experience with the particular model Smokey is talking about but if it lacks chrome lining then I would say its another cheap gun trying to be competition. The chrome lining and well made Barrels and Bolt Groups is on Benellis is the heart of the guns and they are almost always chromed or VERY well made if not chromed. This makes them reliable which they are legendary for.

Beyond being cheaply made and having poorly made parts they have a poor supply chain. If your Stoeger breaks it hell getting parts. I have waited consistently 6 months for parts to fix Stoeger shotguns in the past. That alone with the poor quality makes me not consider them even for beginners.

thanks guys. I still have time to read up more since i've got more important financial things than guns(well, except for that gIV G26 I'm going to get when i can) so i can just save up more. The goose-slayer 3000 i got now(10 shot 870's are cool) can work for the moment. I think the newer stoeger shotguns are being built with newer cadcam cnc machines in turkey and the one i was talking about is very very close in design to the benellis. i'll check out shotgunworld.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    Man, I hear shotguns being racked all of the time, and I've never once shat my pants. Maybe Chad should check my sphincter. Pumping out a live round for "intimidation" just sounds reckless as hell. It's one thing to chamber a round, it's another to waste a perfectly good one. You don't use firearms to scare people. You use firearms to stop the threat to your persons. The latter is the only legally defensible use of a firearm. The former could be considered brandishing.

Well being on this forum, I'm not surprised that you don't get jarred. Now I'm guessing that the typical burglar isn't all that versed on firearms and can equate shotgun racking too the simple fact. The owner is home and he isn't happy.

I don't necessary have to have a round in the chamber at all times so losing a round when pulling an audible warning via racking isn't as likely to happen. In any case, with the express 870 I have about 7 rounds so dumping 1 to scare off or make them freeze is a good trade off.

If the sound stops the threat to my home and life, then it's worked as well as if I have to sling lead. Then i'm also a fan of less than lethal ammo because restraint is mercy and always fun to let them know that only two out 7 shots will be only painful. And cops love the creative solutions.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Where do you guys live that you think you're going to need to fire 7 shots out of your shotgun in an HD situation?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Where do you guys live that you think you're going to need to fire 7 shots out of your shotgun in an HD situation?

I'll concur with this.

However I've seen several home invasion burglaries/robberies where 3-5 subjects made entry.

Of course these were all "targeted" "victims" non were random...but you never know.

When did the first flint lock owner decided he wanted more rounds on tap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom