• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Well I didn't read the text, but I did get an email from GOA saying how Manchin and Toomey "sold us out." So.... :/

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    "The bill explicitly bans the federal government from creating a national firearms registry, and imposes serious criminal penalties (a felony with up to 15 years in prison) on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records."

So, if this becomes law, how many Maryland State employees are going to go to jail for the current illegal "voluntary" gun registration and for the new mandatory gun registration that kicks in Oct 1?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    "The bill explicitly bans the federal government from creating a national firearms registry, and imposes serious criminal penalties (a felony with up to 15 years in prison) on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records."

So, if this becomes law, how many Maryland State employees are going to go to jail for the current illegal "voluntary" gun registration and for the new mandatory gun registration that kicks in Oct 1?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Note the operative terms "the federal government" and "national" The states can create all the databases they want.

*** New Math in MD... 7 days = 60 days. The cooling off period has turned into the boiling over period ***

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Why not 'all law-abiding gun owners'?

Sounds to me like it will only protect the fudd guns.

I caught that as well.

But first that's not the Lang of the bill. It PR BS. So it could be more broad than that.
    Second idpa is a sport.
    Third equal protection claim as applied ...

Forth it will be amended and it still needs to get past the house.

Compare this bill to what we feared after newtown.

And it will get weaker still I think...

So yes it is not perfect... but it is a much better starting point.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I dont agree with any compromise but if we want something to pass the senate and not get vetoed by Obama we have to compromise to a point as long as we are gaining ground. This isn't perfect and open to whatever amendments we can get. If you think a 100% pro 2a bill will even get out of committee in the current environment then you are completely mistaken.

The libs have been scratching away at the 2A for decades, we're not going to get it all back in 1 bill in 1 year.

We have an ace in the hole. Severa in fact.

The house is one. They can strip bad stuff out easier than hey can get good stuff in. Then in conference the senate may have to take what they get or the bill fails and they get nothing.

Scotus is the other . The good parts are not subject to constitutional challenge but the bad parts are. Scotus can not make new law so all good stuff must come from Congress but we get a second shot at defeating bad stuff.

If we defeat all moderates at the pols in red States and the blue states go radical then we have only the courts to work with.

Ianal but the mental heath parts of this bill look DOA under a substantive due process claim ..

Be angry but be smart . If we toss our moderates off the cart there is no guarantee we will get conseratives .

Pa is a swing state. Look at the new AG . If they take a moderate position it is because they know their constituency. The perfect is often the enemy of the good.
    I oppose much in this law as I understand it today I would not agree to it. But I do not need to get elected either..

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Triple dog dare you to test that in NJ... :eek:

I know the issue in NJ and NY well. Fopa needs to be worked on. And until I see the bill language I reserve judgement.

Or the court could act first but I doubt it.

A fopa with teeth is needed. Is this it .. unknown.

I no longer travel in nj .... I stay in pa ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom