• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    Found this interesting reading:

U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) today released the following statement on The Public Safety And Second Amendment Rights Protection Act, the amendment that he and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) are offering to the gun bill currently on the Senate floor.

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=965

One thing I found interesting is :
    "Permits interstate handgun sales from dealers."

How will it play with 281?

Shadetree

Feb 5, 2013
    Nottingham
    Sounds like the Feds may be putting some pressure on Maryland. I can live with this. Quick background check out of Marylands hands, no registry, can buy a handgun in another state. Kinda pushes the state out of the loop. Plus forces them to fully comply with NICS Which they voted against in the senate. I esp like "The bill explicitly bans the federal government from creating a national firearms registry, and imposes serious criminal penalties (a felony with up to 15 years in prison) on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records."

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Maybe I am suffering from BGOS but I can get behind most of this bill, I would need clarification on the exemptions for FTF are.

This is the only real ambiguous thing I can see

"Family transfers and some private sales (friends, neighbors, other individuals) are exempt from background checks"

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    You forget one of the most important bits, that is hidden well in the bill text.

It allows and even encourages doctors to report patients that they feel are a danger to others to the NICS, without notifying the person in question, and allowing the person in question no way to defend themselves against the allegations.

Basically, any "medical professional" can prevent you from buying firearms (and in certain states have your currently owned firearms confiscated) because they say so.

"Second Amendment Rights Protection Act" my @$$

Hopefully, all the Republicans out there who will now watch in dismay as their Republican senators and congressmen unzip and get ready to bend them over will finally wake up, see that there is no real difference in the two parties, and we can get some actual freedom minded people in office for once.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    "- Fixes interstate travel laws for sportsmen who transport their firearms across state lines in a responsible manner. The term "transport" includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, buying fuel, vehicle maintenance, and medical treatment."

WOW ... This may really be a compromise ...

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    You forget one of the most important bits, that is hidden well in the bill text.

It allows and even encourages doctors to report patients that they feel are a danger to others to the NICS, without notifying the person in question, and allowing the person in question no way to defend themselves against the allegations.

Basically, any "medical professional" can prevent you from buying firearms (and in certain states have your currently owned firearms confiscated) because they say so.

Hopefully, all the Republicans out there who will now watch in dismay as their Republican senators and congressmen unzip and get ready to bend them over will finally wake up, see that there is no real difference in the two parties, and we can get some actual freedom minded people in office for once.

Yeah I can say that is pretty ****ing oppressive.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Is it any doctor or just a shrink?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

I am sure this is a 14 a due process claim but IANAL..

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    the description in the bill text says "medical professional"

So I figure they can spin it to include anyone. Doctors of all stripes, Dentists, RNs, LPNs EMTs

Wouldn't it suck if your neighbor was a Pediatrician, you got into a fence dispute, and he or she hit you in the gun safe?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    the description in the bill text says "medical professional"

So I figure they can spin it to include anyone. Doctors of all stripes, Dentists, RNs, LPNs EMTs

Wouldn't it suck if your neighbor was a Pediatrician, you got into a fence dispute, and he or she hit you in the gun safe?

Yeah it would be better if they included a clause for civilians like they did for the vets.

Scary thing is I could see this passing.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Yeah it would be better if they included a clause for civilians like they did for the vets.

Scary thing is I could see this passing.

They're unzipping as we speak. Get ready, Republicans

Oh, and the clause for vets? You mean this?

Provides a legal process for a veteran to contest his/her placement in NICS when there is no basis for barring the right to own a firearm.

Medical professional say so is a "basis", but disregarding that, the "legal process" specified in the bill is not actually specified in the bill. The person I got this info from speculates that the amount of veterans returning with psych stuff on their records will make contesting placement a years long affair that would probably rack up tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Paging Teratos I am looking for a new doctor that is 2A friendly do you take Cigna Insurance

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So besides getting copy of my credit report every year I will need to get a copy of my NICS so I do not get jacked up answering a question wrong on my forms.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Trying to get the text, devil will be in the details. On one hand, he may have caved, trying for some committee appointment , and sold us out to make a name for himself. The other possibility if you rear what he posted on his website is that he sacrificed "phantom loopholes" requiring background checks when buying from FFLs at gun shows, or from internet sales, in exchange for real benefits like interstate handgun sales, stronger transport protection, speeding up NICS, and giving a pass for any LTCF holder to buy without a NICS check, if this is the goal, then it's brilliant. He is taking a shellacking up here, and I sent a few messages, tried calling, but couldn't get through, I need some clarification, and the bill text to tell weither I'm going to support him, or his opponent.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I seriously hope you all know better than this!!! Remember the 1986 FOPA that fixed all this, ya, the one where we lost machine guns.

Unless they are repealing the GCA or the NFA, It's a TRAP!

Attachments

• Its-a-Trap.jpg
      Its-a-Trap.jpg
      27.7 KB · Views: 349

zenMonkey

Patriot Picket
    Mar 30, 2013
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but it's important to remember that this is a bill with no amendments. The AWB garbage was stripped out of the bill, but they will try to tack it on as an amendment. I think this thing will morph into something real ugly, real fast.

Rossi357

Mar 8, 2012
    Sandy Eggo
    I have three problems with this.
    1: Everyone should have a legal process to remove their name from the NICS.
    2: To be placed in the NCIS for any reason by court order.
    3: Fix travel laws for anyone transporting any legally owned firearm across state lines. Not just "sportsmen" Needs a definition of a responsible manner.
    It would be nice to have shall issue, no gun free zones and national reciprocity, but I don't expect that will be in it.
    Would this supersede state law?

livefreeordie

Feb 1, 2013
    Please be very careful supporting this steaming pile of crap thinking that it will lessen your obligations here in MD. It wont. They are all crooks and liars - just look at the damn name of the bill.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    "- Fixes interstate travel laws for sportsmen who transport their firearms across state lines in a responsible manner. The term "transport" includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, buying fuel, vehicle maintenance, and medical treatment."

WOW ... This may really be a compromise ...

Why not 'all law-abiding gun owners'?

Sounds to me like it will only protect the fudd guns.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I think this is a step in the right direction, if he goes for gold it will not get through the Senate. This looks like he is trying to take two steps forward and one step back. Same process the libs use to strip away the 2nd amendment he is using it to try to take it back. Little by little, gain some ground this year and go for a little more next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom