• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You still have to figure losing 20-30% on the consignment fee.

Depends a lot on the shop, but figure you are only going to get 10% more on consignment than if the shop just buys it from you. It’s a better way to go if you are really in no hurry or the shop low balls you.

But if you think it’s worth $500 and the shop agrees it’s worth $500, then they’ll probably offer you $350 for it or put it on consignment for you for $500 and take a 20% consignment fee. Leaving you at $400 and the 1 day to never it takes to sell on consignment.

Not knocking consignment at all. Just pointing out, you usually aren’t talking walking away with a lot more money.

The bestest option is face-to-face private party sale. In this state, the only legal options there are selling it to a family member, or get yourself an FFL-03 to sell your C&R long guns to another C&R holder.

Then no tax or transfer fees the buyer is dealing with and they are likely to pay market price from you.

Even if you are selling it private party and do transfers through an FFL to make it legal, the buyer is figuring in the cost and hassle of a transfer. Why pay $500 for what an FFL will sell em $500 for. And then have to pay $20-60 for a transfer and the extra hassle of making the time to meet up there.

If the OP has pre-2013 banned items he can’t sell them to anyone in MD, including family. The only way they can get them is through inheritance after his death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The morass of Equitable Ownership vs the ability to be able to Recieve Possession .

You would have the ownership interest in it . But to recieve back from uncompleted consignment would require a Transfer to you .

That's pretty much it .
    confirming that yes. This is the way.

If they keep it overnight, it has to be logged. Once it it logged, it has to be transferred. There is a narrow exception I think for gunsmiths.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If the OP has pre-2013 banned items he can’t sell them to anyone in MD, including family. The only way they can get them is through inheritance after his death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point.

And to the OP’s mention of their health. Depending on if it is a flippant comment or actual diagnosis, if my days were numbered and I had a good idea of how few they’d be, I would go the fastest route on converting what I had to a usable to me or my next of kin form. Even if I didn’t need the money, if part of the plans was to still use it while I could…is that a month, 3 months, 6, 12, 24?

I am not sure I’d want to be twiddling my thumbs for weeks on stuff to sell.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For general background :

For outright purchase , a fair , honest , ethical LGS will make a purchase offer of about 2/3 of * What he expects to price it for in his shop * . This can be effected by local buying habits , how much of similar merchandise he has in the back already , and any current discounted wholesale prices from distributors/ manufacturers .

For Consignment , 15% is typical . But there's more to it than that .

If they're knowledgeable about the particular flavor of firearm , they'll know what it actually is , and actually worth ( selling for ) . If their establishment has regular clientele for those flavors of firearms , they'll sell more quickly , at a price mutually beneficial to both Consignor , and buyer . All that can be of more bottom effect than a cpl % points .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From Lazarus above -

If told ' Dang Biggfoot , you're about to croak next month ' , I'd sit down with pad of paper with Mrs Biggfoot .

Firstly , anything they want is for her and Littlefoot44 .

Other specific guns to specific people .
    A longer list of people who could choose what they want .

Anything left over to ( my FFL friend ) , and go with his recommendations of selling , consignment , combination . I trust his knowledge and integrity .

Meanwhile , I'll live my firearms life as I please , and not stress out over planning to die , as I expect to kick up my firearms and related persuits after retirement , not slow down .

May 13, 2005
    LSBAuctions can't be beat. They come pick up your firearms, do all the research, take the pics, post them on gunbroker and charge 25% for firearms (more for ammo/accessories). I've used them multiple times for both large and small quantities of firearms. Their sister site in Cody Wyoming are great people, I've met them in person and they even took me over to the Buffalo Bill firearms museum on them. I went to them last time and saved even more on the commission for a large number of specialty firearms and it was well worth the trip.

MUCH better solution than the headaches I had trying to sell a large number of items locally a few at a time and dealing with some really low offers, and WAY better money than any shop was willing to pay for a whole collection. Probably wouldn't do ammo/accessories through them, but firearms for sure. Hard to beat.

RR917

Jun 22, 2013
    I totally disagree with this. GB is great for an established seller who has a good reputation on GB. I used to work at a B&M store (that could easily be confirmed) and we tried selling on GB and people were really apprehensive of buying from a new GB seller.

True words. Recent years have let a whole lot of bad sellers on gunbroker, scammers and unknowledgeable people.

I see great prices on certain auctions only to open them up and see the seller is new.

Been scammed once years back for a <250$ kahr by a seller, and took me finding out that there is almost no recourse to get your money back unless you are willing to file a police a report (and find a department willing to file one).

Now there is zero chance that I buy from anyone with low feedback, or feedback as a non seller. Another big red flag for me is “actual shipping charges” instead of a flat rate.

If you want to sell on gunbroker, you should ease yourself into it with low dollar sales to build up some seller feedback.

Fourth hip?
    Yeah. This one was a hip replacement + major reconstruction surgery due to severe Osteolysis of the femoral head (hip bone dissolving) I had my first total hip replacement at age 28 (Avascular Necrosis) and I turn 53 on Wednesday.
    Fortunately, MDS' own Dbledoc was behind the knife and hammer, so I was only sort of terrified of the procedure.
    My wife absolutely loves the fact he could BS about scuba diving, long distance shooting, reloading, et al, 20 minutes before they put me under for a crazy surgery. She knows it really calmed my nerves.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Yeah. This one was a hip replacement + major reconstruction surgery due to severe Osteolysis of the femoral head (hip bone dissolving) I had my first total hip replacement at age 28 (Avascular Necrosis) and I turn 53 on Wednesday.
    Fortunately, MDS' own Dbledoc was behind the knife and hammer, so I was only sort of terrified of the procedure.
    My wife absolutely loves the fact he could BS about scuba diving, long distance shooting, reloading, et al, 20 minutes before they put me under for a crazy surgery. She knows it really calmed my nerves.

You really got started early. I had a full left knee done in 2019 and left hip done in “20” at age 67. Sounds like you picked the right doc.

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    You could always see if the PA Auction Center fits your needs. They move about 400 guns at their monthly sales and advertise on multiple bidding platforms. I've bought and sold with them. You'd have to inquire on their current percentage. You can search their past auctions to see how the hammer prices were.

m_ev

Mar 22, 2013
    Good point.

And to the OP’s mention of their health. Depending on if it is a flippant comment or actual diagnosis, if my days were numbered and I had a good idea of how few they’d be, I would go the fastest route on converting what I had to a usable to me or my next of kin form. Even if I didn’t need the money, if part of the plans was to still use it while I could…is that a month, 3 months, 6, 12, 24?

I have stage 4b cancer so maybe 3 to 5 years left, maybe shorter time to be actually be able to be functional enough to shoot.
    Like I said none of my family members are interested in guns.
    I want to keep a couple I shoot now, trade or sell a couple to buy a 2 firearms I have been wanting and sell the rest and put the cash into my estate or investment fund for my kids.
    All my ammo, mags, scopes and misc accessories, Busse, vintage SOG, old school Winkler, Half Face Blade knives and build sheets are in a spreadsheet in case I pass quicker because of complications.
    I worked at a local gun shop.when I was younger and understand the low margins especially with used firearms, I am not expecting top dollar just reasonable sale prices.
    Pre MD ban stuff is pre/post '94 AK"s, pre ban colts and a few other miscellaneous firearms.
    I am currently talking to a small FFL holder who does mostly online sales and I am still discussing fees for selling but it is looking promising.

Again Thanks for everyone's input
    Good point.

Last edited:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    OP, Very sorry to hear of the Cancer. Prayers that you are strong and enjoy the rest of your life. Be well and don't worry about the guns. Post up to get 50 and then put what you can in classifieds, you'll do better.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    You won't get anywhere near Reasonably Close by taking them to a brick and mortar gun shop.

You'll be offered 40% or less of their actual value.

Sell them on Gunbroker. A penny start with no reserve and you'll get the actual value of your pieces. Don't be afraid of a penny start. Once the Friday and Saturday drunken bidding begins, you'll be happy with the sale. Let the auction run for 14 days. Allow the entire country time to see your guns.

Or you could use a reputable auction house. Gunbroker will yield more money though. Auction houses will nickel and dime you seven ways from Sunday.

Good luck.
    Great advice. When I was working at a gun shop shortly after retiring from Ma Bell, the ownership of the place would only pay max 40% of any gun. When I'd sell on consignment, I'd loose 40%. Gun Broker is best and the Penny start is a great way to get interest ginned up, especially if you start it on a Thursday.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Depending on that you have and condition you might want to consider an auction house that would take what you have and sell it for you. Redding auction in Gettysburg PA. is a place I go to often to buy stuff. They get good prices for the things they sell. They take 17% I think. Just another avenue to explore.

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    I have stage 4b cancer so maybe 3 to 5 years left, maybe shorter time to be actually be able to be functional enough to shoot.
    Like I said none of my family members are interested in guns.
    I want to keep a couple I shoot now, trade or sell a couple to buy a 2 firearms I have been wanting and sell the rest and put the cash into my estate or investment fund for my kids.
    All my ammo, mags, scopes and misc accessories, Busse, vintage SOG, old school Winkler, Half Face Blade knives and build sheets are in a spreadsheet in case I pass quicker because of complications.
    I worked at a local gun shop.when I was younger and understand the low margins especially with used firearms, I am not expecting top dollar just reasonable sale prices.
    Pre MD ban stuff is pre/post '94 AK"s, pre ban colts and a few other miscellaneous firearms.
    I am currently talking to a small FFL holder who does mostly online sales and I am still discussing fees for selling but it is looking promising.

Again Thanks for everyone's input
    What kind if HF Blades do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom