• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    is that old S&W 357

Yes . Likely more than you think , unless you've been keeping with the S&W Collector community.

Yes , these days most whippersnappers only know combat Tupperware. And too many random FFL . M27 have always premium, but in the last couple years , Highway Patrolmen have gotten stupid expensive . M19 are climbing also .

It would be worth joining the S&W Forum ( the good one ) for access to the classifieds. Harrold's Gun Shoppe just over the line in Waynesboro PA specializes in classic S&W .

m_ev

Mar 22, 2013
    AND he is a 13'er.
    I have been into fireams since I was a kid, I am 50 now.
    Just because I joined this forum when MD was going through changes has nothing to do with me.
    This attitude is the main reason I didn't join before 2013 or active on this particular forum.

Most of my collection is modern that is banned in MD now.
    Nothing that is very collectible or high value.
    Just want to downsize to minimum guns that I shoot now so when the cancer catches up to me my family doesn't have to deal with much.

Thanks for the positive suggestions

Last edited:
    Just because I joined this forum when MD was going through changes has nothing to do with me.
    This attitude is the main reason I didn't join before 2013 or active on this particular forum.

Just want to downsize to minimum guns that I shoot now so when the cancer catches up to me my family doesn't have to deal with much.

Take note of the join date of the person I was quoting. I was ribbing a fellow "13'er" on the forum.
    I turn 53 on Wednesday and am not exactly spry myself, as my bones are dissolving from my body. I had my fourth hip replacement in February.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    OP.

There are a TON of 13er jokes on this forum. Many people on here are 13ers. I'm a 13er. But it doesn't mean people weren't engaged in fighting for their 2A rights. It's just a joined MDS date thing. And a perceived late to the game thing.

Hard to tell if someone is laughing with you or laughing at you when "13er" emerges.

Don't take it to heart.

Good luck.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Best of luck with your health

I really encourage you to visit Saint Firearms and talk to Matt. Tell him Bertfish sent you. Him and I are well acquainted.

He does do consignment as well as outright purchase. Consignment is slower but you'll get more money.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Joe's Shooting World near Delta, PA can take your guns that aren't legal in MD.

MD legal items can be consigned. Cooter's in Forest Hill charges 15%.

Both of these guys are decent to work with.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    I was always under the assumption that Cooters wanted 50% of everything.

Mick Jagger included the concept in one of his songs.

"Some Girls".

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I was always under the assumption that Cooters wanted 50% of everything.

Mick Jagger included the concept in one of his songs.

"Some Girls".

Your assumption is mistaken. It's 15%. No, I don't work there, either, but I have used them for consignment sales.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    What is their percentage? I contacted one and they wanted 20% of the sale price.
    It has been a while. Last time I checked a flat $50...You set the price if it sells it sells, you want it back just need to pay the $10 background check...Note when you co-sign you are effectively transferring ownership to the gunshop temporarily so to get it back you need to go through background check to get it transferred back.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    You see where the confusion comes from...
    Screenshot_20240411-175309_Chrome.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    You see where the confusion comes from...
    View attachment 465301

The way it was explained to me, when you consign something to a shop, it's logged in to their book and they "possess" it. You won't be able to get a MD-banned item back if you're a MD resident. You'd need an HQL (for now) to get a non-C&R handgun back. In essence you transfer the item to the shop, and to get it back they would have to transfer it back to you. Maybe an actual dealer/manufacturer FFL can explain it better and/or confirm.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're still the owner, until it is sold.

The morass of Equitable Ownership vs the ability to be able to Recieve Possession .

You would have the ownership interest in it . But to recieve back from uncompleted consignment would require a Transfer to you .
    The way it was explained to me, when you consign something to a shop, it's logged in to their book and they "possess" it. You won't be able to get a MD-banned item back if you're a MD resident. You'd need an HQL (for now) to get a non-C&R handgun back. In essence you transfer the item to the shop, and to get it back they would have to transfer it back to you. Maybe an actual dealer/manufacturer FFL can explain it better and/or confirm.

That's pretty much it .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It seems like OP is not really in a rush to get rid of his collection unless I read it wrong.
    Consider putting on consignment. I know The Gun Shop in Essex does consignment. That way you will likely get closer to market value. I was thinking of putting up for consignment some items I am no longer interested in.
    You still have to figure losing 20-30% on the consignment fee.

Depends a lot on the shop, but figure you are only going to get 10% more on consignment than if the shop just buys it from you. It’s a better way to go if you are really in no hurry or the shop low balls you.

But if you think it’s worth $500 and the shop agrees it’s worth $500, then they’ll probably offer you $350 for it or put it on consignment for you for $500 and take a 20% consignment fee. Leaving you at $400 and the 1 day to never it takes to sell on consignment.

Not knocking consignment at all. Just pointing out, you usually aren’t talking walking away with a lot more money.

The bestest option is face-to-face private party sale. In this state, the only legal options there are selling it to a family member, or get yourself an FFL-03 to sell your C&R long guns to another C&R holder.

Then no tax or transfer fees the buyer is dealing with and they are likely to pay market price from you.

Even if you are selling it private party and do transfers through an FFL to make it legal, the buyer is figuring in the cost and hassle of a transfer. Why pay $500 for what an FFL will sell em $500 for. And then have to pay $20-60 for a transfer and the extra hassle of making the time to meet up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom