• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m_ev

Mar 22, 2013
    I have been out of the loop for the past couple of years due to my health. I am trying to sell off most of my collection locally if possible since my family does not know anything about or want my guns.
    I also would like to maybe trade some of them towards a new gun or two to have fun with now while I can.
    Any suggestions on gunshops around Harford/ Baltimore county that would be best for trading in towards or selling outright to.
    I am trying to get reasonably close to current market value. (Would travel if needed)
    Also not sure if Gunbroker or Guns America are still any good.
    Alot of my collection is older and I could not sell in state to individuals.

Thanks for the help

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    You won't get anywhere near Reasonably Close by taking them to a brick and mortar gun shop.

You'll be offered 40% or less of their actual value.

Sell them on Gunbroker. A penny start with no reserve and you'll get the actual value of your pieces. Don't be afraid of a penny start. Once the Friday and Saturday drunken bidding begins, you'll be happy with the sale. Let the auction run for 14 days. Allow the entire country time to see your guns.

Or you could use a reputable auction house. Gunbroker will yield more money though. Auction houses will nickel and dime you seven ways from Sunday.

Good luck.

You won't get anywhere near Reasonably Close by taking them to a brick and mortar gun shop.
    You'll be offered 40% or less of their actual value.
    Sell them on Gunbroker. A penny start with no reserve and you'll get the actual value of your pieces. Don't be afraid of a penny start. Once the Friday and Saturday drunken bidding begins, you'll be happy with the sale. Let the auction run for 14 days. Allow the entire country time to see your guns.

Or you could use a reputable auction house. Gunbroker will yield more money though. Auction houses will nickel and dime you seven ways from Sunday.

Good luck.
    I totally disagree with this. GB is great for an established seller who has a good reputation on GB. I used to work at a B&M store (that could easily be confirmed) and we tried selling on GB and people were really apprehensive of buying from a new GB seller.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Saint Firearms in Essex does a ton of estate and bulk buys. Matt is working his way through a 200+ antique handgun lot right now. I think his pricing is pretty damn fair, he's a one man band with low overhead unlike many shops

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I totally disagree with this. GB is great for an established seller who has a good reputation on GB. I used to work at a B&M store (that could easily be confirmed) and we tried selling on GB and people were really apprehensive of buying from a new GB seller.
    I've bought a few guns off Gunbroker and I wouldn't consider bidding unless I saw a decent sales history with good reviews. I know somebody always has to be the first but it aint gonna be me

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Saint Firearms in Essex does a ton of estate and bulk buys. Matt is working his way through a 200+ antique handgun lot right now. I think his pricing is pretty damn fair, he's a one man band with low overhead unlike many shops
    I stopped in last Saturday and he had a bunch of interesting things come in (one of them I need to go and pick up this Saturday) another big group is on it's way. I told him he was going to need a bigger shop. He is very fair and honest and has an unbelievable amount of knowledge about older guns

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    You guys have valid points about new folks selling on GB.

I've always been willing to buy from fairly new folk if the descriptions were long and detailed and the pictures were clear and plentiful.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    I can second this.

Very fair prices.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Best to post up a list here of what you have to get rid of and line up transfers to avoid consignment costs or listing fees. GB fees are outrageous for sellers.

If you have any HK’s I’d be interested…

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I stopped in last Saturday and he had a bunch of interesting things come in (one of them I need to go and pick up this Saturday) another big group is on it's way. I told him he was going to need a bigger shop. He is very fair and honest and has an unbelievable amount of knowledge about older guns
    I am continually lobbying him to hire me one day a week. He is continually too cheap to do so.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You need to be cognizant of " market value " connotation.

For disposing in bulk , it will be at Wholesale level . ( Even at that , there are a few dealers with good reputations for handling Estates , and Estate - ish , and are fluent in older guns and current values . )

For top $ in retail price context , you have to sell mostly as individual pieces .

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Do the math. Say fair market value is $500. If you go to a gun shop and try to get $450, no way. For one thing the shop can buy it brand new wholesale for less than that. So try GB? The buyer should know that he's going to have to pay tax, shipping, 1% GB fee plus transfer, and that's if he trusts you. So he'll bid accordingly. There's a few guys doing auction service, deduct their fees and shipping and you're way far from market value.
    If you ask a fair price, meaning somewhere between what market value is and what you can get from a dealer or auction, you can sell them yourself at a small local gunshow. You won't get the $500 right away but you'll get more than a dealer will offer or more than likely sell it to another dealer at the show. Not all dealers buy to resell either, the nicer ones they keep.
    You have to be honest with yourself and do the math. In a world of AR's and high capacity sub-compact pistols, is that old S&W 357 or Winchester 30-30 or 870 Wingmaster or 1100 going to get you $1000? Not likely, but probably $800, dealer or auction $600?

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    It seems like OP is not really in a rush to get rid of his collection unless I read it wrong.
    Consider putting on consignment. I know The Gun Shop in Essex does consignment. That way you will likely get closer to market value. I was thinking of putting up for consignment some items I am no longer interested in.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    It seems like OP is not really in a rush to get rid of his collection unless I read it wrong.
    Consider putting on consignment. I know The Gun Shop in Essex does consignment. That way you will likely get closer to market value. I was thinking of putting up for consignment some items I am no longer interested in.
    What is their percentage? I contacted one and they wanted 20% of the sale price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom