• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Does anyone know the new "Edit cutoff time" for a post?

I'm trying to update my DE General Assembly Bills post. I was able to update it in July, about 8 months after it was created. The DE governor signed some bills at the end of October. Now the Edit button is gone.

The DE GA Session lasts 2 years.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=204041

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Does anyone know the new "Edit cutoff time" for a post?

I'm trying to update my DE General Assembly Bills post. I was able to update it in July, about 8 months after it was created. The DE governor signed some bills at the end of October. Now the Edit button is gone.

The DE GA Session lasts 2 years.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=204041

I believe it is now 24 hours.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I really wish the site would go back to allowing edit/delete whenever. I just re-read a post I made where an entire word is missing and now I can't fix it. I frequently find where the browser has made some type of automangle that makes sentences unreadable.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I really wish the site would go back to allowing edit/delete whenever. I just re-read a post I made where an entire word is missing and now I can't fix it. I frequently find where the browser has made some type of automangle that makes sentences unreadable.

Yep.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

+1

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Agreed! I’m cool with not allowing it on archived posts but the 24 hour rule is no bueno

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Agreed! I’m cool with not allowing it on archived posts but the 24 hour rule is no bueno

I don't like a time limit at all for one IMHO, very important reason.

People come here primarily for information and usually about information that is dynamic. It can change with changes in firearm laws and at the whim of the MSP. People can't go back and update content on things such as FAQs so they're stuck with starting new ones on the same topics or readers are forced to scan the entire thread to try to find out if they have the most up to date information.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Until and if the policy changes, you can always request a mod or admin to make changes to FAQ's, etc.

Not a great solution, but it is doable

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't like a time limit at all for one IMHO, very important reason.

People come here primarily for information and usually about information that is dynamic. It can change with changes in firearm laws and at the whim of the MSP. People can't go back and update content on things such as FAQs so they're stuck with starting new ones on the same topics or readers are forced to scan the entire thread to try to find out if they have the most up to date information.

So I understand your concern but lets be honest none of us are going back to pre 2013 threads to update them with the law change. So I totally understand not deleting archived posts and then that will help resolve the issue of the Viking funeral but still give us the ability to fix current threads.

It's what Michael Scott calls Win, Win, Win.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Until and if the policy changes, you can always request a mod or admin to make changes to FAQ's, etc.

Not a great solution, but it is doable

My guess is that they are too swamped now, and people are just going to either not bother to request a change and wait, or start a new thread which will probably not have the same quality or quantity as the previous one(s) because won't want to be bothered either. Also, the admins want to avoid multiple duplicate threads.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Be patient with me, working on a solution I hope will work. I get folks want to be able to edit posts. There has to be a time limit. However I am trying to have it customized (meaning the program, the system has a limit of 24 hours) to where the time limit will be 6 months). Any edits beyond that except for the rare occasion should not be needed. Would that be a good middle ground to meet on?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Be patient with me, working on a solution I hope will work. I get folks want to be able to edit posts. There has to be a time limit. However I am trying to have it customized (meaning the program, the system has a limit of 24 hours) to where the time limit will be 6 months). Any edits beyond that except for the rare occasion should not be needed. Would that be a good middle ground to meet on?

I like it

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I'm good with that. I'd be happy with 3 months, but the longer the better. :thumbsup:

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    OK, that was easier than I thought... We should be good to go at 6 months, thanks everyone for the feedback, any issues let me know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom