• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I've never shot that far, EVER. I'm shooting the 175 gr FGMM and managed to shoot .69MOA at 400 yards...but everyone gets lucky once! But your right, $45 for a days worth of learning shooting is better than the $60 I just spent at 340 defense haha.

So what do I need to bring with me? I have a 6-9" bipod, rear bag and that is about it. No way of calling wind and a free app on my phone that tells me I need 63.6 clicks out to 600 yards.

How many rounds do I need to bring? Guess I will be laying on the grass, no shooters mat? Anything else I need?

I have an extra mat, the shooting mound is gravelly dirt unless they changed it and got some grass planted.

I'm not a 100% sure I'm gonna make but I should and if any body wants a ride or needs some spare equipment I may have it.

Off the top of my head... I have a spare cadwell front BR rest with standard and BR bag and cheap cadwell rear bag. An extra shooting mat...that may be it.

Whats infiltration shooting system? Is that taking turns shooting on same target?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. I used one of my backpacking sleeping pads for the longest time; then Midway had a sale on their nicest shooting mat.

Just watch the wind and use up your unlimited sighters. That's all I ever did.

Prior to my first modified F-class match at QMCB, I had only shot at 100 yds. I used JBM Online for data and confirmed that with other shooters on the line (another nice thing about shooting a 308....) Dialed up, closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. To my amazement I actually hit paper :D

Be safe, keep off your neighbor's target and no one will hate you.

ETA: If by "clicks" you mean 1/4 minutes, you should be on paper. I looked up my data and I have 16 MOA recorded for my 175 grain load.

Correct, I show 15.89 MOA. Hahaha...oh man this could be fun. Now just need to find me some more 175gr FGMM.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have an extra mat, the shooting mound is gravelly dirt unless they changed it and got some grass planted.

I'm not a 100% sure I'm gonna make but I should and if any body wants a ride or needs some spare equipment I may have it.

Off the top of my head... I have a spare cadwell front BR rest with standard and BR bag and cheap cadwell rear bag. An extra shooting mat...that may be it.

Whats infiltration shooting system? Is that taking turns shooting on same target?
    I might take u up on the mat, I have to make sure the wife doesn't have plans that I don't know about. But I'm a good possibility.

NateG

Oct 16, 2009
    VA
    I might try to get out there for that one if schedule allows.

For those who've been there before, does the target look like a normal HP target? (meaning is it a 36" aiming black on a 72" white/buff frame?) And, would they object to an "unusual" F/TR rig? Specifically, my iron-sighted palma rifle? (Which is a legal F/TR gun, even when shot sling-and-irons) I like shooting on the F-class targets, and have won an F/TR match or two with my Palma gun before.

Think the organizers would allow a sling shooter to play along (considering I'd enter as a legal F/TR gun, have a zero, and expect to shoot a respectable score)?

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I might try to get out there for that one if schedule allows.

For those who've been there before, does the target look like a normal HP target? (meaning is it a 36" aiming black on a 72" white/buff frame?) And, would they object to an "unusual" F/TR rig? Specifically, my iron-sighted palma rifle? (Which is a legal F/TR gun, even when shot sling-and-irons) I like shooting on the F-class targets, and have won an F/TR match or two with my Palma gun before.

Think the organizers would allow a sling shooter to play along (considering I'd enter as a legal F/TR gun, have a zero, and expect to shoot a respectable score)?

Don't quote me but I believe we will just be shooting at a black dot. I know for sling shooting the dot is target dimensions but no idea what they'll be using. I will call or email for more info tomorrow and ask about both of your questions. I think its fclass only to simplify the electronic scoring system but thats just a guess.

EDIT: Duh..I misread your post....not sure of aiming black size I will find out today

Last edited:

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I wanna get a list of questions together ans send them an email. THey are usually quick to reply and I figure an email will give who ever a chance to find answers if they don't know them as oppossed to calling. So other than whats listed, list any questions you have.

And before I ask them...does anyone know what iflitration shooting is?

FYI: the wind is almost guranteed to be wicked, the terrain is, well....... interesting so bring your 6s and 30s if you got em. Never been there in less that 12mph switchy wind yet but I could be wrong

And for your ballistic data I recommened printing out something from a program and having it with you it will make things go quicker and easier for them. I used the hornady calculator last time I was there.

NateG

Oct 16, 2009
    VA
    Infiltration shooting means when the shooter on the relay ahead of you on your point is done, you move up and start shooting, as opposed to waiting until the line is done or time expires and starting the next relay all at once.

It makes the match go quicker, even if it's not strictly by the book.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    FYI: the wind is almost guranteed to be wicked, the terrain is, well....... interesting so bring your 6s and 30s if you got em. Never been there in less that 12mph switchy wind yet but I could be wrong

And for your ballistic data I recommened printing out something from a program and having it with you it will make things go quicker and easier for them. I used the hornady calculator last time I was there.

See this is what scares me to death...I don't know how to read wind to save my life and I don't have any charts or anything...its all in an app on my phone. Wonder if I can covert it to a file and print? Hmmmm

I was all ready to go until I heard about the wind haha. I don't have empty flag indicators or anything. I'm really not prepared for this one.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    its not as bad as you think, I'm not very experienced at it yet and have been shooting good scores. I shot steel at pntc at 600yd in 12+ with no issue using instinct and wild ass guess method so youll be fine. All I had was the grass and feel to go by, the flags werent up yet and couldnt find a good spot to read mirage. Others will help! its a pretty big target and poor wind reading shouldn't push you off target just out of desired scoring rings. Its the best way to learn!

You are shooting .308 right?

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    See this is what scares me to death...I don't know how to read wind to save my life and I don't have any charts or anything...its all in an app on my phone. Wonder if I can covert it to a file and print? Hmmmm

I was all ready to go until I heard about the wind haha. I don't have empty flag indicators or anything. I'm really not prepared for this one.

You are laying prone on the line with 20 minutes to shoot your string. You will have plenty of time to use your app on the ground.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed..and its 15min for 2/3 stage...for some reason?????? But still plenty of time especilly with instant scoring and not waiting on pits

barcuna

Aug 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Peacemaker National F class-Match Director

Just to answer some questions. Some have already been answered by other posters and thanks to them for their input.
    Mats and chamber flags will be available to those who don't have them.
    Infiltration is just as described in another post by NateG

The target will be the standard NRA F class target (just pasted over the electronic targets)

You can use bipods, rests, laptops, phones, sandbags, etc. This is intended to be an introduction to F class. It is a non sanctioned event, so we will be very lenient with everything exept safety.

I hope to have some very experienced F class and high power shooters to assist anyone who participates. Don't worry if you are lacking a particular piece of gear. Everyone is very generous about loaning equipment.

Last edited:

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I like that the targets will be pasted especially for those that like to hold/aim off and use the rings for moa indication.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Damn I just got my SPS Tac ready for competition and this is the one weekend that I'm on vacation. Maybe next time.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just to answer some questions. Some have already been answered by other posters and thanks to them for their input.
    Mats and chamber flags will be available to those who don't have them.
    Infiltration is just as described in another post by NateG

The target will be the standard NRA F class target (just pasted over the electronic targets)

You can use bipods, rests, laptops, phones, sandbags, etc. This is intended to be an introduction to F class. It is a non sanctioned event, so we will be very lenient with everything exept safety.

I hope to have some very experienced F class and high power shooters to assist anyone who participates. Don't worry if you are lacking a particular piece of gear. Everyone is very generous about loaning equipment.

Ok the introductory part sold me, I need all the help I can get.

Ok I just registered, anyone from Frederick want to ride together and help a complete new guy out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom