• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of tree stand(s) and blinds do you use?

• Ladder stand(can be a home made)

Votes: 71 61.2%
    • Lock-on stands

Votes: 16 13.8%
    • Elevated box blinds

Votes: 24 20.7%
    • Ground blinds(home made, hub blinds, box, etc)

Votes: 50 43.1%
    • Climbing stands

Votes: 53 45.7%
    • Daughter's bedroom window

Votes: 15 12.9%
    • Other

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a couple ladder stands all different brands. A Summitt titan climber that I haven't used in years and 2 ground blinds I use with the kids. Every year I also place several hay bales on an old wagon and place it out in the middle of a hay field. We've killed deer, geese, groundhogs foxes and coyotes from those hay bales. They stick out like a sore thumb with literally nothing around but open fields for a couple hundred yds but it works.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a couple ladder stands all different brands. A Summitt titan climber that I haven't used in years and 2 groundless I use with the kids. Every year I also place several hay bales on an old wagon and place it out in the middle of a hay field. We've killed deer, geese, groundhogs foxes and coyotes from those hay bales. They stick out like a sore thumb with literally nothing around but open fields for a couple hundred yds but it works.
    I've hunted hay rolls sitting in hay fields in the past. They are deadly. They enable you to sit in the middle of an open field and 360° of shooting. Very deadly.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Does anyone else hunt out of a hammock?

If I'm staying out all day, the Eno single packs up nicely. You can take a hell of a nap and its dead silent.

I once had a deer sneak up on me as I was "sawing logs". The thing blew right next to me. I flipped out of the hammock and landed with a thud. All I saw of the deer was its ass running into the thick stuff. I still laugh about that moment.

I can only sit in a stand for a couple hours. Spotting and stalking is my favorite way to hunt. Climbers are nice but no fun to schlep

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I just pulled an old steel chair out of a dumpster while I was diving a few days ago.
    Its like a school/facility type. About 18" high with nice sturdy square legs but the seat was missing.
    So I cut a piece of plywood out and refastened it to the seat.
    I think with two pieces of steel strap welded across the bottom at just above ground level it will be a good way point dropped off in the woods somewhere.
    The steel straps will keep it from sinking in the earth after you sit in it for a while.
    Which is a hallmark option, for dumpster dove hunting chairs for the uninitiated woods watcher junk collector club.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

Not sure a hammock would be easy hunt or shot from. The most comfortable way of hunting for me was the turkey chair. I don't like it as much as stands because where we hunt it is thick and the lower you are the less you can see. But I have hide in tall grass in open areas with a rifle and done rather well. It helps to find a knoll with cover to sit in. I could sleep in one if it had a head rest and have backed them up to trees to serve that purpose. It just did not feel like a soft head rest.

Also, shooting out of turkey chair requires movement or adjusting eye relief. You need to lean forward to get the proper cheek placement and eye alignment on the rifle. The leaned back comfortableness gets you out of eye alignment with the scope.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Not sure a hammock would be easy hunt or shot from. The most comfortable way of hunting for me was the turkey chair. I don't like it as much as stands because where we hunt it is thick and the lower you are the less you can see. But I have hide in tall grass in open areas with a rifle and done rather well. It helps to find a knoll with cover to sit in. I could sleep in one if it had a head rest and have backed them up to trees to serve that purpose. It just did not feel like a soft head rest.

Also, shooting out of turkey chair requires movement or adjusting eye relief. You need to lean forward to get the proper cheek placement and eye alignment on the rifle. The leaned back comfortableness gets you out of eye alignment with the scope.
    Where I hunt is very steep and full of crunchy leaves. I will often use it as a chair, sitting perpendicular. Easy and quiet to reposition. Hammock is mounted low enough to put a foot down and anchor well before aiming/shooting.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Where I hunt is very steep and full of crunchy leaves. I will often use it as a chair, sitting perpendicular. Easy and quiet to reposition. Hammock is mounted low enough to put a foot down and anchor well before aiming/shooting.
    Gun hunting only I presume?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was just curious as to how people prefer to hunt deer. What kind of stand/blind you are using.

Multiple responses are welcome, as I know many of us use more than one method.

I'm not looking for brand names, per se, but if you have one you are particularly fond of, please let us know.
    I mean…not for deer, but sure do use my son’s bedroom window to whack groundhogs. He got (fake) mad when he found an empty 22 casing in his sheets once.

“Oh, that’s where that thing went!”

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I mean…not for deer, but sure do use my son’s bedroom window to whack groundhogs. He got (fake) mad when he found an empty 22 casing in his sheets once.

“Oh, that’s where that thing went!”
    Lol!

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I just pulled an old steel chair out of a dumpster while I was diving a few days ago.
    Its like a school/facility type. About 18" high with nice sturdy square legs but the seat was missing.
    So I cut a piece of plywood out and refastened it to the seat.
    I think with two pieces of steel strap welded across the bottom at just above ground level it will be a good way point dropped off in the woods somewhere.
    The steel straps will keep it from sinking in the earth after you sit in it for a while.
    Which is a hallmark option, for dumpster dove hunting chairs for the uninitiated woods watcher junk collector club.
    I'm not alone! Thought I was the only one. You can find lots of perfectly serviceable chairs if you're willing to get them. +1 on the straps/bar to keep them from sinking too much.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016

If I'm staying out all day, the Eno single packs up nicely. You can take a hell of a nap and its dead silent.

I once had a deer sneak up on me as I was "sawing logs". The thing blew right next to me. I flipped out of the hammock and landed with a thud. All I saw of the deer was its ass running into the thick stuff. I still laugh about that moment.

I can only sit in a stand for a couple hours. Spotting and stalking is my favorite way to hunt. Climbers are nice but no fun to schlep
    I've had them walk up an lick my face while napping in a hammock. I need to try this now.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Converted ATM kiosk. Insulated, waterproof, windproof and secure. I took the air conditioner out of it and use the old mount as a shelf. I can lock it up and leave everything until the next time I go out.
    I gotta see this!

fogman

Attachments

• 20231128_145752.jpg
      20231128_145752.jpg
      350.2 KB · Views: 34
    • 20231128_145832.jpg
      20231128_145832.jpg
      258.5 KB · Views: 25
    • 20231128_145853_HDR.jpg
      20231128_145853_HDR.jpg
      548.3 KB · Views: 28