• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of tree stand(s) and blinds do you use?

• Ladder stand(can be a home made)

Votes: 71 61.2%
    • Lock-on stands

Votes: 16 13.8%
    • Elevated box blinds

Votes: 24 20.7%
    • Ground blinds(home made, hub blinds, box, etc)

Votes: 50 43.1%
    • Climbing stands

Votes: 53 45.7%
    • Daughter's bedroom window

Votes: 15 12.9%
    • Other

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was just curious as to how people prefer to hunt deer. What kind of stand/blind you are using.

Multiple responses are welcome, as I know many of us use more than one method.

I'm not looking for brand names, per se, but if you have one you are particularly fond of, please let us know.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've been using a summit climber for about three years. I HATE lugging it out into the woods, but the advantage is undeniable.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I bought a Millennium double ladder stand with the blind kit for my son and I. I cant believe how comfortable/roomy it is. By far the best tree stand I have ever used.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been using a summit climber for about three years. I HATE lugging it out into the woods, but the advantage is undeniable.
    I've done 90% of my deer hunting from climbing stands for the last 40 years. Along with my pack, it's about 50 lbs. It is getting old(and so am I). Summit is what I carry now.

stand1.jpg

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    On our lease in Harford County, we primarily use ladder stands. Where I hunt in West Virginia, I’m either on the ground or using my climber. Or the truck window.:D:sarcasm:
    I definitely do not like carrying that climber on my back though.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Generally a ground hunter. A folding chair, camo fabric,’thumb tacks. setup between 2-3 little trees. Provided easy mobility. leave chair in truck/camp if walking a lot

occasionally will use a stand, but it was rare. Would usually be something offered by the folks I was hunting with

us fat boys fall better then We climb , and it ain’t pretty

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Sometimes I hunt on foot so I checked other.
    But, other times I use a chair, lay or sit in a ditch or even from a portable waterfowl blind made from a boat trailer or something.
    An uprooted root ball from a tree next to a ditch is a really good spot for deer or turkey hunting here on the shore.
    As long as you have the wind in your face and get between where they bed and feed you can get some good results.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Climber (Summit brand) stand on public land. On private there are couple ladder stands and a elelvated box blind (self-made). Oh, there is one tripod stand as well.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I sit on a bucket... no blind, no elevation. Have been pretty successful over the years. Just sweep the leaves from a circle around the tree where I set up and sit.
    Man, if you are going to hunt like that, get a turkey chair. My buddy and I use them as the go to portable blind for xbow or rifle. I've sat 4 hours straight without moving in a turkey and I can't imagine my a$$ liking a bucket after 30 minutes.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I mostly hunt the same properties so ladder stands and ground blinds for me.
    Always get the “2 man” ladder stands, ain’t no way my fat ass can sit comfortably in a “1 man” stand.

Sometimes, ground blinds are perfect. Early bow season, when the leaves are still on the trees, you can see better sitting in a blind vs looking down from a stand. If it’s raining the ground blind wins again. I’ve also taken a lot of kids hunting over the years, the ground blind is perfect. Young/unexperienced kids can’t sit still, and the blind covers a lot of their movements.

One place I hunt is all open fields. I use a beach blanket and lay down on it shooting prone. It works pretty well, but the wind can be brutal at times.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The tree line is about 30 yards from my back door. Taken a lot of deer from the french doors of my second story dining room.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I've come to prefer ladder stands when it's not too cold. I switch to heated ground blind when its below freezing.

During gun season I watch them from indoors and walk outside the house to shoot.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I agree with ArcheryRob. I use a turkey thug chair to good effect on many occasion. I like to climb too. Also have quite a few ladder stands.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You think you're joking , but I have set up sandbag in a bedroom window .

You left out " lawn chair just inside barn door " .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom